Thoughts on epidural steroid injection for patient with acute herpes zoster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted79235

Have a case with a 55 yo female with previous L4-5 decompression (1990) and iodine allergy with subacute right L2,3 sensory/motor radiculopathy. Pain is intense 10/10 burning like in the right groin, anterior thigh, and anterior knee. Pain has been present for 2months but has become progressively worse, especially within the last two weeks.

Saw her last week.She had no treatment yet. Exam revealed normal strength but absent righ patella reflex. Positive femoral nerve stretch test. Otherwise exam was unremarkable. Started neurontin 300 tid. Order MRI L-spine. Had MRI, which reveals L2-3 right eccentric disk extrusion in the foramen and in central canal causing stenosis. The rest of MRI is unremarkable. I saw her yesterday and she claims, since lying down in the MRI pain is worse. Exam now reveals 4/5 anterior hip flexion strength, 4/5 knee extension strength and great nerve sensitivity with neural tension testing.

Since, her last visit with me, she has developed herpes zoster on the left anterior abdomen (t10 like distribution). PCP just started acyclovir.

I am concerned about the weakness and will monitor her closely, of course if this progresses, he will see a surgeon. However, the guys I work with don't get too concerned unless you are 3/5.

My question is would you guys even consider epidural steroid injection via right TFESI 2-3 in someone with acute herpes zoster or make them ride out the storm for a while and uptitrate analgesic medication with activity modification until completing acyclovir course. We discussed PT but she is in so much pain now she would not be able to tolerate much except some passive modalities of limited use.

Another concern about the injection and acute zoster, is she would need oral steroid (50 mg times 3) allgery prep for iodine allergy, as we don't carry gad contrast at our facility.

Did find this cochrane review, which failed to isolate any different adverse events between people treated with or without oral, intramuscular, or IV steroids for acute herpes zoster.

Corticosteroids for preventing postherpetic neuralgia.
Chen N, Yang M, He L, Zhang D, Zhou M, Zhu C.
SourceDepartment of Neurology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, No. 37, Guo Xue Xiang, Chengdu, Sichuan, China, 610041.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Postherpetic neuralgia is a common serious complication of herpes zoster. Corticosteroids are anti-inflammatory and might be beneficial.

OBJECTIVES: To examine the efficacy of corticosteroids in preventing postherpetic neuralgia.

SEARCH STRATEGY: We updated the searches for randomised controlled trials of corticosteroids for preventing postherpetic neuralgia in MEDLINE (January 1950 to February 2010), EMBASE (January 1980 to February 2010), LILACS (January 1982 to February 2010), the Chinese Biomedical Retrieval System (1978 to 2010 ) and the Cochrane Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) (The Cochrane Library Issue 1, 2010). We also reviewed the bibliographies of identified trials, contacted authors and approached pharmaceutical companies to identify additional published or unpublished data.

SELECTION CRITERIA: We included all randomised controlled trials involving corticosteroids given by oral, intramuscular or intravenous routes for people of all ages with herpes zoster of all degrees of severity within seven days after onset, compared with no treatment or placebo, but not with other treatments.

DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS: Two authors identified potential articles, extracted data and assessed quality of each trial independently. Disagreement was resolved by discussion with other co-authors.

MAIN RESULTS: Five trials were included with 787 participants in total. All were randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled parallel group studies. No new trials were identified in the 2010 update. In the updated version we conducted a meta-analysis of two trials, and the results showed that oral corticosteroids did not prevent postherpetic neuralgia six months after the herpes onset (RR, 0.95; 95% CI 0.45 to 1.99). The three other included trials also had similar results although their data could not be included in the meta-analysis. Adverse events during or within two weeks after stopping treatment were reported in all five included trials. There were no significant differences in serious or non-serious adverse events between the corticosteroids and placebo groups.

AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS: Corticosteroids given acutely during zoster infection are ineffective in preventing postherpetic neuralgia. In people with acute herpes zoster the risks of administration do not appear to be great. Corticosteroids have been recommended to relieve the zoster-associated pain in the acute phase of disease; if further research is designed to evaluate the efficacy of corticosteroids for herpes zoster, long-term follow-up should be included to observe their effect on the transition from acute pain to postherpetic neuralgia. Future trials should include measurements of function and quality of life.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was a fellow, I disputed its effectiveness. I'd even went so far as to to do a literature review and even publish a case report. However I will say I see tons of acute zoster and shingles pain. what the literature supported was that a sympathetic block may reduce the likelihood of developing post herpetic neuralgia. That being said I now do a transforaminal in the dermatome with local and steroid and I am shocked and its effectiveness. Patients that had 2 to 3 weeks of severe pain will get the injection and the next day have almost complete resolution. I have done it at least 50 times in the last five years so it can't be placebo.

So I am a supporter. whether it is the local anesthetic, nerve block, or the the steroid or both remains a question.

QUOTE=patbateman;11887930]Have a case with a 55 yo female with previous L4-5 decompression (1990) and iodine allergy with subacute right L2,3 sensory/motor radiculopathy. Pain is intense 10/10 burning like in the right groin, anterior thigh, and anterior knee. Pain has been present for 2months but has become progressively worse, especially within the last two weeks.

Saw her last week.She had no treatment yet. Exam revealed normal strength but absent righ patella reflex. Positive femoral nerve stretch test. Otherwise exam was unremarkable. Started neurontin 300 tid. Order MRI L-spine. Had MRI, which reveals L2-3 right eccentric disk extrusion in the foramen and in central canal causing stenosis. The rest of MRI is unremarkable. I saw her yesterday and she claims, since lying down in the MRI pain is worse. Exam now reveals 4/5 anterior hip flexion strength, 4/5 knee extension strength and great nerve sensitivity with neural tension testing.

Since, her last visit with me, she has developed herpes zoster on the left anterior abdomen (t10 like distribution). PCP just started acyclovir.

I am concerned about the weakness and will monitor her closely, of course if this progresses, he will see a surgeon. However, the guys I work with don't get too concerned unless you are 3/5.

My question is would you guys even consider epidural steroid injection via right TFESI 2-3 in someone with acute herpes zoster or make them ride out the storm for a while and uptitrate analgesic medication with activity modification until completing acyclovir course. We discussed PT but she is in so much pain now she would not be able to tolerate much except some passive modalities of limited use.

Another concern about the injection and acute zoster, is she would need oral steroid (50 mg times 3) allgery prep for iodine allergy, as we don't carry gad contrast at our facility.

Did find this cochrane review, which failed to isolate any different adverse events between people treated with or without oral, intramuscular, or IV steroids for acute herpes zoster.

Corticosteroids for preventing postherpetic neuralgia.
Chen N, Yang M, He L, Zhang D, Zhou M, Zhu C.
SourceDepartment of Neurology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, No. 37, Guo Xue Xiang, Chengdu, Sichuan, China, 610041.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Postherpetic neuralgia is a common serious complication of herpes zoster. Corticosteroids are anti-inflammatory and might be beneficial.

OBJECTIVES: To examine the efficacy of corticosteroids in preventing postherpetic neuralgia.

SEARCH STRATEGY: We updated the searches for randomised controlled trials of corticosteroids for preventing postherpetic neuralgia in MEDLINE (January 1950 to February 2010), EMBASE (January 1980 to February 2010), LILACS (January 1982 to February 2010), the Chinese Biomedical Retrieval System (1978 to 2010 ) and the Cochrane Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) (The Cochrane Library Issue 1, 2010). We also reviewed the bibliographies of identified trials, contacted authors and approached pharmaceutical companies to identify additional published or unpublished data.

SELECTION CRITERIA: We included all randomised controlled trials involving corticosteroids given by oral, intramuscular or intravenous routes for people of all ages with herpes zoster of all degrees of severity within seven days after onset, compared with no treatment or placebo, but not with other treatments.

DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS: Two authors identified potential articles, extracted data and assessed quality of each trial independently. Disagreement was resolved by discussion with other co-authors.

MAIN RESULTS: Five trials were included with 787 participants in total. All were randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled parallel group studies. No new trials were identified in the 2010 update. In the updated version we conducted a meta-analysis of two trials, and the results showed that oral corticosteroids did not prevent postherpetic neuralgia six months after the herpes onset (RR, 0.95; 95% CI 0.45 to 1.99). The three other included trials also had similar results although their data could not be included in the meta-analysis. Adverse events during or within two weeks after stopping treatment were reported in all five included trials. There were no significant differences in serious or non-serious adverse events between the corticosteroids and placebo groups.

AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS: Corticosteroids given acutely during zoster infection are ineffective in preventing postherpetic neuralgia. In people with acute herpes zoster the risks of administration do not appear to be great. Corticosteroids have been recommended to relieve the zoster-associated pain in the acute phase of disease; if further research is designed to evaluate the efficacy of corticosteroids for herpes zoster, long-term follow-up should be included to observe their effect on the transition from acute pain to postherpetic neuralgia. Future trials should include measurements of function and quality of life.[/QUOTE]

Do a transforaminal or intercostal nerve block with steroid and local. Like DocShark, I've seen consistently dramatic results from both acute shingles and from chronic PHN. It works really, really well in general!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have done quite a few ESI's for acute case of shingles and like Docshark and ligament, I've had dramatic reduction in symptoms. It works..

I have done quite a few ESI's for acute case of shingles and like Docshark and ligament, I've had dramatic reduction in symptoms. It works..
If I'm not mistaken, some guys in Japan published some case reports a few years back. They made sure the depomedrol was placed upside down for some period of time so that the PEG would float to the top. Then they extracted the methylprednisolone and injected it INTRATHECALLY for herpes zoster tx. Not sure if I would put local in their injectate though I believe.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11087880

The question is what steroid did they use IT. Is it the same as what we have here? Ours may have a preservative theirs does not

If anyone has the Dannemiller lecture series, Dr. Candido has a lengthy discussion of intrathecal steroids which is excellent and he discusses the Japanese study.

Many people have abadnoned the idea of "iodine allergy". Iodine is a necessary element for survival. One cannot be truly allergic to it. One can get histamine reactions to large doses of contrast, however. But in ESI, you use small amounts in a localized area.

You can premedicate for a day or two with steroids + benadryl if it makes you feel better.

People use ESI for acute HZV, so I see no reason to use it when someone has that secondarily.

i would do the TFESI --- many acute zoster cases have received steroids oral/epidural without worsening the zoster...

If you question an iodine allergy, what next? Do you question people who are allergic to epi as well? :laugh:

These poor souls who state they are allergic to epi (causes their heart to race).

I always then ask what dentist told them they are allergic.

"How did you know it was my dentist. "

Lucky guess.

I then explain to them that they are allergic to the treatment of choice for allergic reaction (ever hear of an epi pen)? Then the light goes off :D

re: iodine - i have had only ONE patient develop itching/difficulty breathing after ESI attributed to the contrast --- patient developed reaction about 10 minutes later in the recovery area... gave him valium, the "allergic" reaction promptly resolved....

Zoster.

When are you guys allowing lido deem patches? Completely healed? Some crusty lesions ok?

Zoster.

When are you guys allowing lido deem patches? Completely healed? Some crusty lesions ok?

i say after completely healed, but thats also because i am in an area where two patients put Pennsaid in their eyes for eye pain, and one used it for a tooth ache...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone tried ASA/ether? I saw someone yesterday who has failed most of the neuralgia meds his FP and dermatologist tried. He has excoriated his epidermis and I was thinking instead of the published 5% ASA I'd try 1% ASA due to the disrupted skin. Pharmacy doesn't have ether or chloroform so I went for 0.5% lidocaine (once again, decreased due to disrupted skin). So we're trying 1% ASA/0.5% lido cream.

I can't do a SGB because he has excoriated skin over the right neck. CESI? With LA?

Somehow I have to get him to stop scratching so we can use Lidoderm.

If you question an iodine allergy, what next? Do you question people who are allergic to epi as well? :laugh:

These poor souls who state they are allergic to epi (causes their heart to race).

I always then ask what dentist told them they are allergic.

"How did you know it was my dentist. "

Lucky guess.

I then explain to them that they are allergic to the treatment of choice for allergic reaction (ever hear of an epi pen)? Then the light goes off :D

This happened to me about 20 years ago. The dentist was injecting 2% lido with 1:100,000 epi. I got dizzy and had tinnitus and it felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest. They rolled out their code cart and blew the dust off the vacuum tubes of the defibrillator and I knew I was going to die.

Afterward, he said I had an allergic reaction to lidocaine AND epi. Naturally I argued with him, explaining that I have actually done that to people myself but he marked my chart "NO EPI" and "NO LIDOCAINE" in red letters.

So instead he used plain carbocaine. Never mind that it's one carbon atom away from lidocaine. After that, the local always wore off too fast, which means he had to re-block and thereby doubled my risk of an IV injection every time.

He was a true artist when it came to crowns so I stayed with him, but I have always taken Valium before dental work ever since - not for anxiety but to raise seizure threshold.

i say after completely healed, but thats also because i am in an area where two patients put Pennsaid in their eyes for eye pain, and one used it for a tooth ache...
please tell me you are joking!!

please tell me you are joking!!

Pennsaid rep was in the office several weeks ago. No samples because they are changing the packaging because people have mistaken it for eye drops

If a patient has active zoster lesions in the L1/2 dermatomes and has tried gabapentin, acyclovir, fentanyl patch and oxycodone per PCP, what about an ESI. The problem is that there are skin lesions, like blisters, allodynia, hypereshteisa,etc.

I was going to try a ILESI but I looked at her back adn it looks like she has had extnsive Laminectomy surgery in the past. I thought about doing a caudal, but I dont think I can tread a catheter that high up. The patient's zoster is on the right, if I tried a TFESI on the right, I would have to go through one of the lesions, erythematous skin. Those of you guys taht do TFESI on thes epatients, do ou go through these skin lesions?

Only other thing for this miserable 80yo lady in pain that I could think of was doing a SCS trial (just for a week and then pulling it). This way I would be above the surgical scar and still be able to get coverage.......however this seems way too 'heroic'.

If all this fails, I was considering Intrathecal Methylprednisolone...

This happened to me about 20 years ago. The dentist was injecting 2% lido with 1:100,000 epi. I got dizzy and had tinnitus and it felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest. They rolled out their code cart and blew the dust off the vacuum tubes of the defibrillator and I knew I was going to die.

Afterward, he said I had an allergic reaction to lidocaine AND epi. Naturally I argued with him, explaining that I have actually done that to people myself but he marked my chart "NO EPI" and "NO LIDOCAINE" in red letters.

So instead he used plain carbocaine. Never mind that it's one carbon atom away from lidocaine. After that, the local always wore off too fast, which means he had to re-block and thereby doubled my risk of an IV injection every time.

He was a true artist when it came to crowns so I stayed with him, but I have always taken Valium before dental work ever since - not for anxiety but to raise seizure threshold.

On a related note, this woeful lack of knowledge still applies with current dentists.

I recently had a chat with one in a social setting, and brought up the topic of local anesthetic toxicity; this drew a blank look from the dentist. WTF ? Not reassuring !

If a patient has active zoster lesions in the L1/2 dermatomes and has tried gabapentin, acyclovir, fentanyl patch and oxycodone per PCP, what about an ESI. The problem is that there are skin lesions, like blisters, allodynia, hypereshteisa,etc.

I was going to try a ILESI but I looked at her back adn it looks like she has had extnsive Laminectomy surgery in the past. I thought about doing a caudal, but I dont think I can tread a catheter that high up. The patient's zoster is on the right, if I tried a TFESI on the right, I would have to go through one of the lesions, erythematous skin. Those of you guys taht do TFESI on thes epatients, do ou go through these skin lesions?

Only other thing for this miserable 80yo lady in pain that I could think of was doing a SCS trial (just for a week and then pulling it). This way I would be above the surgical scar and still be able to get coverage.......however this seems way too 'heroic'.

If all this fails, I was considering Intrathecal Methylprednisolone...

ive also done, in the thoracic area, paravertebral blocks. but ive never gone through a skin lesion, as ive been doing injections for PHN, rather than active zoster infection.

consider topical lidoderm, qutenza, or a LESI slightly lower. the med should spread up sufficiently if you go L3-4. or wait til the lesions are gone.

I usually go below and use a brevikath to reach the target foramen. Or caudal and cath if L-spine.

I usually go below and use a brevikath to reach the target foramen. Or caudal and cath if L-spine.
Thing is that this old lady is in soo much pain and she has tried all the conservative stuff.

I dont think I can thread a cath from teh caudal all teh way up to L1/T12...i tried. I cant do ILESI since theres that scar. ....guess I will see how she does...

Cut the distance in half from a caudal......try S1 or S2 if u can't get into L5 or L4.

Agreed. If L1-S1 is all post surgical, you can still go in at at T11 and thread a catheter caudad.

Agreed. If L1-S1 is all post surgical, you can still go in at at T11 and thread a catheter caudad.

Caudad?

Hmm..I've never done that...seems a lot tougher to do. Might try that...

Update:

Anyone doing ESI or TF esi for acute shingles?

If so how soon?

Even while rash still there?

Update:

Anyone doing ESI or TF esi for acute shingles?

If so how soon?

Even while rash still there?
I have done it. wait until the rashes are going away. Or are barely left. I did it once with rashes there. but I threaded the catheter from a level that was more caudad away.