Thoughts on KCUMB-COB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DloopF2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on KCUMB-COB?

I skimmed/searched the threads but I didn't see anything recent --- I may have missed it.

Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any thoughts on KCUMB-COB?

I skimmed/searched the threads but I didn't see anything recent --- I may have missed it.

Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.
I didn't find much either but I am planning on enrolling this coming august for the 1 year and was accepted back in december. I believe that in order to be considered for an interview for the DO program, you need to have at least a 3.25 undergrad sGPA and > 25 MCAT plus a 3.2 or higher after first semester of the program. It sounds like they have a strong preference for their BMS students.

I got much of my information from LostVagus.

I didn't find much either but I am planning on enrolling this coming august for the 1 year and was accepted back in december. I believe that in order to be considered for an interview for the DO program, you need to have at least a 3.25 undergrad sGPA and > 25 MCAT plus a 3.2 or higher after first semester of the program. It sounds like they have a strong preference for their BMS students.
I got much of my information from LostVagus.

I am also planning on enrolling for the 1 year bioscience program. I was accepted in December as well.

I just was wondering what former students thought of this program. Because it is relatively new there is not much out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also planning on enrolling for the 1 year bioscience program. I was accepted in December as well.

I just was wondering what former students thought of this program. Because it is relatively new there is not much out there.
I don't think they market the program as a bridge to the DO program. It sounds like up until this year, you still had to have above 3.25 cumulative and science undergraduate gpa plus the MCAT requirement of 24 to be considered for a DO interview, regardless of how well you did in the program. But now they seem to be giving some leeway in terms of how interviews are granted for students seeking admission to the COM.

Hey guys, I'm guessing you started the program already (that is, if you decided to attend) I was accepted for the class that starts on Aug 2015. I really can't find much on the threads about this particular program so I was hopping that maybe one of you would like to tell me more about the program pleas.

Hey guys, I'm guessing you started the program already (that is, if you decided to attend) I was accepted for the class that starts on Aug 2015. I really can't find much on the threads about this particular program so I was hopping that maybe one of you would like to tell me more about the program pleas.
+1

I got rejected today - no secondary (I'm guessing for a low GPA or clinical exp?) and they sent me an email detailing their MS program as a path to DO. I just submitted my application to the 1-year Biomedical Sciences program and I'm interested to hear more about it if possible.
How quick was the turnaround from submitting to hearing something back? Any interview involved?

+1

I got rejected today - no secondary (I'm guessing for a low GPA or clinical exp?) and they sent me an email detailing their MS program as a path to DO. I just submitted my application to the 1-year Biomedical Sciences program and I'm interested to hear more about it if possible.
How quick was the turnaround from submitting to hearing something back? Any interview involved?

I would peruse the KCUMB-COB tab on their website for more information about the program. Some numbers may be off because they are rapidly expanding the program. I think the class size will be closer to 100 next year. They have already recieved over 500 apps for the college of biosciences (COB) SMP. And I am guessing you will hear something within 4-6 weeks. All admissions committees are swamped this time of year. and no interview required for the COB

+1

I submitted everything on October 11, I got an email on October 31 saying my application was complete and I got accepted today :)
And no interview

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted everything on October 11, I got an email on October 31 saying my application was complete and I got accepted today :)
And no interview

Still waiting to hear back on my application for their COB program. Anyone know what they do for bridging between their masters to doctorate. I agree with some statements above that they don't really advertise whether they do or don't on their website. Also anyone know how many seats are available to their Biomedical sciences program?

Still waiting to hear back on my application for their COB program. Anyone know what they do for bridging between their masters to doctorate. I agree with some statements above that they don't really advertise whether they do or don't on their website. Also anyone know how many seats are available to their Biomedical sciences program?

They are excepting a class size of around 100 for the one year program

They are excepting a class size of around 100 for the one year program

Are you currently in the masters program or in the doctoral one. Would love some insight if you have gone through it or are currently going through it. What you think about it?, It's ability to prepare you?, etc.

feel free to DM for questions

Hey guys, I am considering thinking about applying to COB for this upcoming August. Do you think its too late to apply? And can anybody give me insight on the program- like do you take the same classes as the first years? I saw the curriculum but I am not sure how the classes are formatted. Are they in blocks or are they all taken simultaneously?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted about a week ago and am wondering what the acceptance rate of their COB students to their DO program is. Any info on that?

I got accepted about a week ago and am wondering what the acceptance rate of their COB students to their DO program is. Any info on that?

I'm sure it'll be different this year. The class size is increasing again (i.e. 100 students vs 70 something last year) so I'm sure there will be less matriculating. In previous years I think they have had good amounts. You will still need to meet the minimum requirements for the DO school to matriculate however. Thats something that I think most students aren't aware of. This is not necessarily a linkage program.

I'm sure it'll be different this year. The class size is increasing again (i.e. 100 students vs 70 something last year) so I'm sure there will be less matriculating. In previous years I think they have had good amounts. You will still need to meet the minimum requirements for the DO school to matriculate however. Thats something that I think most students aren't aware of. This is not necessarily a linkage program.

Really? I read somewhere on their website that they offer linkage as long as you meet their requirements

Really? I read somewhere on their website that they offer linkage as long as you meet their requirements

No you still need the requirements. Thats why they offer their own Mcat prep course as part of the masters program. I believe it starts in the middle of the first semester of the masters program. They highly recommend students participating in it.

No you still need the requirements. Thats why they offer their own Mcat prep course as part of the masters program. I believe it starts in the middle of the first semester of the masters program. They highly recommend students participating in it.

So if you meet their requirements, they guarantee you an interview? Do you happen to have the webpage that offers those information? I didn't come across that during my research on the school and program.

So if you meet their requirements, they guarantee you an interview? Do you happen to have the webpage that offers those information? I didn't come across that during my research on the school and program.

Ya its under there FAQ page http://www.kcumb.edu/admissions/graduate-students/faqs/
Under the matriculation to DO question it says see an admissions rep. I've called a number of times to speak with Patricia and other reps and this comes from them. I'd recommend really putting in the time to figure out if this program is what your looking for. The $500 matriculation fee will be coming soon (usually due 1 month after your accepted) so its good to know what you want to do. Try calling and asking your questions. they are very helpful and then the information is second hand.

Ya its under there FAQ page http://www.kcumb.edu/admissions/graduate-students/faqs/
Under the matriculation to DO question it says see an admissions rep. I've called a number of times to speak with Patricia and other reps and this comes from them. I'd recommend really putting in the time to figure out if this program is what your looking for. The $500 matriculation fee will be coming soon (usually due 1 month after your accepted) so its good to know what you want to do. Try calling and asking your questions. they are very helpful and then the information is second hand.

I got accepted into KCUMB COB back in December '14 to start August 2015. KCUMB COM is my top choice medical school so I'm using this 1-year master's program in hopes of matriculating here. However, the only weakness in my AACOMAS is my MCAT score, I believe, which has just met the minimum requirements. My cGPA is 3.63 and sGPA is 3.71. I would like current KCUMB-COB or COM students who have gone to KCUMB-COB to give me some insight on what I should do next year. Should I take a year off just to retake the new MCAT OR attend KCUMB-COB's 1-year masters w/o taking the new MCAT (since I heard it is a very intensive program and I want to do very well in it) OR attend KCUMB-COB's 1-year masters & take the new MCAT (with their Kaplan Prep course *but I heard this master's program is a lot of work and don't know if I can handle doing well in BOTH). I'm also considering that this program is a lot of money ($30k), so I don't know if it's worth it. Which option do you think is most reasonable? Any advice is appreciated!

I got accepted into KCUMB COB back in December '14 to start August 2015. KCUMB COM is my top choice medical school so I'm using this 1-year master's program in hopes of matriculating here. However, the only weakness in my AACOMAS is my MCAT score, I believe, which has just met the minimum requirements. My cGPA is 3.63 and sGPA is 3.71. I would like current KCUMB-COB or COM students who have gone to KCUMB-COB to give me some insight on what I should do next year. Should I take a year off just to retake the new MCAT OR attend KCUMB-COB's 1-year masters w/o taking the new MCAT (since I heard it is a very intensive program and I want to do very well in it) OR attend KCUMB-COB's 1-year masters & take the new MCAT (with their Kaplan Prep course *but I heard this master's program is a lot of work and don't know if I can handle doing well in BOTH). I'm also considering that this program is a lot of money ($30k), so I don't know if it's worth it. Which option do you think is most reasonable? Any advice is appreciated!

^^^ zmh424, I too am accepted to KCUMB COB biomed august 2015 and although my gpa is on the lower side (cGPA 3.37 & sGPA 3.0 , so 1 yr program is probably best for me in order to demonstrate academic ability) my mcat is definitely what's holding me back. I also got accepted to colorado state university's master's in biomedical sciences but i am skeptical of this program because
1) i cannot find stats for med school acceptances (ALTHOUGH they have an affiliation with RVUCOM and via administrator they save "six seats for about 35 pre-med --class size is about 50 with most being pre-vet)
2) there is not much information PERIOD (i've tried reaching out to several alumni via fb groups for program info with no responses yet)
3) their curriculum is HEAVILY based on anatomy and i like the diversity of courses @ kCUMB to better "prepare" you for MS1

***side note: anyone with information about colorado state university please respond to this!! there are very few threads! fort collins, CO is beautiful and i would love to go here but i have to stick with my best chance of getting into med school

but back to my main question along with zmh424: anyone have any info on how doable taking the prep course at KCUMB along with the full coarse load of the program is? thank you!

^^^ zmh424, I too am accepted to KCUMB COB biomed august 2015 and although my gpa is on the lower side (cGPA 3.37 & sGPA 3.0 , so 1 yr program is probably best for me in order to demonstrate academic ability) my mcat is definitely what's holding me back. I also got accepted to colorado state university's master's in biomedical sciences but i am skeptical of this program because
1) i cannot find stats for med school acceptances (ALTHOUGH they have an affiliation with RVUCOM and via administrator they save "six seats for about 35 pre-med --class size is about 50 with most being pre-vet)
2) there is not much information PERIOD (i've tried reaching out to several alumni via fb groups for program info with no responses yet)
3) their curriculum is HEAVILY based on anatomy and i like the diversity of courses @ kCUMB to better "prepare" you for MS1

***side note: anyone with information about colorado state university please respond to this!! there are very few threads! fort collins, CO is beautiful and i would love to go here but i have to stick with my best chance of getting into med school

but back to my main question along with zmh424: anyone have any info on how doable taking the prep course at KCUMB along with the full coarse load of the program is? thank you!

I'm in the COB right now. Unfortunately for you (but fortunately for me), I didn't have to retake the MCAT this year. However, I know a lot of people who did. I believe most people who took the Kaplan course did improve their MCAT score.

A great thing about KCU is that it is extremely student centered. There were some complaints about the aptitude of the first Kaplan course instructor we had, so Dean White called Kaplan and they agreed to fly in one of their top rated instructors from Philly every single week to teach our students. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Overall, I would say attending the program does raise your chances of getting into the COM considerably granted that you do well. Aside from that, I would say the structure of the COB program prepares one for the rigors of medical school pretty well. You definitely have to keep on top of your studies and don't get behind. Before attending KCU, I was 100% KUMED all the way. Now, I am having an internal debate every single day trying to decide which school is actually better. KCU is exploding right now thanks in part to the new administration of Dr. Hahn, and I think in the coming decades if trends progress as they are there is a good chance KCU will be the premier medical school in KC.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi All, I was also accepted to KCUMB COB program. I am as well looking for roomate!

So I got a email yesterday saying that starting this year individuals in this program will be guaranteed an interview if they meet certain requirements, 3.5 GPA in the program and a 25 or 503 on the MCAT.

I've been rejected by LUM-DCOM's masters program and LECOM's post-bacc program. Do you think I have a chance at this program? My numbers are 3.1 cGPA, 2.98 sGPA, and 22 MCAT.

Do you think that because there is a guaranteed interview that this is now a linkage program? Meaning that you will basically matriculate into their DO program if you don't bomb the interview. This is essentially how LUM-DCOM and LECOM are set up.

Thanks for the advice.

I also received that email and spoke with Patti who does not seem to imply that interview means guaranteed linkage though I'm sure that as long as the interview goes well then you will have a chance. But they do seem to interview a lot of people directly to COM abd we will not interview until our grade for first semester is in.

I also received that email and spoke with Patti who does not seem to imply that interview means guaranteed linkage though I'm sure that as long as the interview goes well then you will have a chance. But they do seem to interview a lot of people directly to COM abd we will not interview until our grade for first semester is in.
Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll finish up my application. Here goes nothing.

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice as to what I should include in the required one page essay on how this masters program will help me accomplish my future goals. I'm applying to this program because I need a GPA boost and to prove that I am capable of performing well. I don't think I can write a one page single spaced essay about this, it seems it would be full of fluff.

Thanks for your help.

I'm in the COB right now. Unfortunately for you (but fortunately for me), I didn't have to retake the MCAT this year. However, I know a lot of people who did. I believe most people who took the Kaplan course did improve their MCAT score.

A great thing about KCU is that it is extremely student centered. There were some complaints about the aptitude of the first Kaplan course instructor we had, so Dean White called Kaplan and they agreed to fly in one of their top rated instructors from Philly every single week to teach our students. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Overall, I would say attending the program does raise your chances of getting into the COM considerably granted that you do well. Aside from that, I would say the structure of the COB program prepares one for the rigors of medical school pretty well. You definitely have to keep on top of your studies and don't get behind. Before attending KCU, I was 100% KUMED all the way. Now, I am having an internal debate every single day trying to decide which school is actually better. KCU is exploding right now thanks in part to the new administration of Dr. Hahn, and I think in the coming decades if trends progress as they are there is a good chance KCU will be the premier medical school in KC.
Thanks for your reply. Do you know anyone in KCUMB COB master's who got an interview without meeting the MCAT cutoff for guaranteed interview (but has met the GPA cutoff; i.e., let's say 3.8 GPA master's and 24MCAT)? I am considering rewriting the new MCAT in July before attending this 1-year master's since I heard it was very difficult for the master's students to do both the intensive program and study for the new MCAT at the same time. It may be even harder this year now that the new exam is almost twice longer and harder. I am afraid I may not be able to manage doing both.

Hi everyone! I have recently been accepted into the KCUMB COB masters program and I was wondering if any current students could give me some information about how many students in the masters program generally matriculate into KCUMB's medical school the following year.

Hi everyone! I have recently been accepted into the KCUMB COB masters program and I was wondering if any current students could give me some information about how many students in the masters program generally matriculate into KCUMB's medical school the following year.
Hi aspiringDOchick3. I was wondering if you could respond to my above post. I don't mean to be a bother. Thank you for your help.

Hi @mcsqueeze. Thanks for the like. I was wondering if you could respond to my above posts regarding my chances and the essay? I'm kind of desperate for some advice lol. Again, I don't mean to be a bother. Thank you so much.!

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice as to what I should include in the required one page essay on how this masters program will help me accomplish my future goals. I'm applying to this program because I need a GPA boost and to prove that I am capable of performing well. I don't think I can write a one page single spaced essay about this, it seems it would be full of fluff.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Hi guys,

I'll try to answer some questions here as my good friend currently goes here. As you all know, the program has increased in size and the class graduating in may 2015 has increased (and still increasing) to around 75 people from 30-40 people i think. This is all coming from memory but I believe their stats were 25 mcat and 3.25 GPA got you a guaranteed interview contingent upon graduating from the program with those stats (you find out of your interview in feb and interview early march). To my understanding, my friend said if you have these stats and you don't interview like a total crazy person, you're basically in. They really like their COB students and seems like they truly care about your success in the program and have a lot of resources to help you succeed to ultimately matriculate into the COM. a

I cannot compare last year to this year though. They increased to 100 people and increased their stats for the guaranteed interview, which means more people to weed out. If it makes any of us feel better, i asked about a class average for their immunology and she said it was an 89- which means most people are doing well. The profs are the same profs that teach the COM so you will do well in first year. She did also tell me they are changing the curriculum to match even more the curriculum of the COM students, same style of tests/schedule of tests/courses, and it's getting difficult and i know there is curve for some tests bc of the difficulty.

again, this is all coming from memory so some of my info may not be the most accurate but this is the gist of it.

@metoo, my essay was short and sweet. not embellished and to the point. i believe it was under a page long. I basically said that their SMP would help build my academic confidence. I had a paragraph explaining my falls in undergrad (too much on my plate) and future determination, focus, and desire for success supported from my experiences as working pharmacy technician in undergrad and research assistant in cancer research after graduation. I honestly think my essay/work experience and LORs were the determining point of my acceptance as my stats are well below average and MCAT is horrendous. I am choosing this program because of their MCAT prep component and although I know this year is going to be the most exhausting year of my life (doing grad school + mcat prep), knowing that they accepted me with such below average stats mean they truly believe in me to give me a seat to become a doctor. It makes me believe in myself. I;m definitely going to study for the mcat now until school starts so i won't be totally overwhelmed. also my friend said to review as much biochem as you can because if you're out of school for a year or more, you will have a hard time adjusting to the mass info. i'll probably be reading some pubmed articles every week and find some online resources for biochem refreshers.

let me know if you have any questions or feel free to PM me. good luck! try to get your app in ASAP. min was finished beginning January.

Hi guys,

I'll try to answer some questions here as my good friend currently goes here. As you all know, the program has increased in size and the class graduating in may 2015 has increased (and still increasing) to around 75 people from 30-40 people i think. This is all coming from memory but I believe their stats were 25 mcat and 3.25 GPA got you a guaranteed interview contingent upon graduating from the program with those stats (you find out of your interview in feb and interview early march). To my understanding, my friend said if you have these stats and you don't interview like a total crazy person, you're basically in. They really like their COB students and seems like they truly care about your success in the program and have a lot of resources to help you succeed to ultimately matriculate into the COM. a

I cannot compare last year to this year though. They increased to 100 people and increased their stats for the guaranteed interview, which means more people to weed out. If it makes any of us feel better, i asked about a class average for their immunology and she said it was an 89- which means most people are doing well. The profs are the same profs that teach the COM so you will do well in first year. She did also tell me they are changing the curriculum to match even more the curriculum of the COM students, same style of tests/schedule of tests/courses, and it's getting difficult and i know there is curve for some tests bc of the difficulty.

again, this is all coming from memory so some of my info may not be the most accurate but this is the gist of it.

@metoo, my essay was short and sweet. not embellished and to the point. i believe it was under a page long. I basically said that their SMP would help build my academic confidence. I had a paragraph explaining my falls in undergrad (too much on my plate) and future determination, focus, and desire for success supported from my experiences as working pharmacy technician in undergrad and research assistant in cancer research after graduation. I honestly think my essay/work experience and LORs were the determining point of my acceptance as my stats are well below average and MCAT is horrendous. I am choosing this program because of their MCAT prep component and although I know this year is going to be the most exhausting year of my life (doing grad school + mcat prep), knowing that they accepted me with such below average stats mean they truly believe in me to give me a seat to become a doctor. It makes me believe in myself. I;m definitely going to study for the mcat now until school starts so i won't be totally overwhelmed. also my friend said to review as much biochem as you can because if you're out of school for a year or more, you will have a hard time adjusting to the mass info. i'll probably be reading some pubmed articles every week and find some online resources for biochem refreshers.

let me know if you have any questions or feel free to PM me. good luck! try to get your app in ASAP. min was finished beginning January.
Thank you so much for your help! I just finished submitting everything. I've been rejected by LMU-DCOM masters and LECOM post-bacc., hopefully third time's the charm.

Can anyone share their experience with studying for the MCAT while taking classes in this program?

Just got the complete email today. Does anyone know what the average turnaround time is for a decision to be made? Also, is the decision sent by email?

I'm a current student in CSU's MSpro program, and I did my undergraduate studies here as well. I can gladly give you all the information you want to know, and some, about the program.

Hi everyone! Congrats to those whom have been accepted. Do you mind sharing your stats so I can get a standing as to where I am as an applicant. Thank you.

I was accepted into this program. 31 (9/11/11 : ps/vr/bs) MCAT in 2013 and 3.0 GPA.

I have been searching everywhere for their information on matriculation data for their COB grads and linkages but can't seem to find it. I remember reading recently as several months ago that their programs are linked, and preference is given to their COB students who which to matriculate into the COM. However, it all seems to be gone now. Current students in the COB might be the last class the receive this preferential treatment. I do not wish to accept the COB invite only to find myself SOL come spring 2016. Any insights?

Edit: Was informed by an admissions director that 3.5 GPA COBbers are still guaranteed admission into the COM. Cool!

Last edited: