Thoughts on not including Dermatology and Plastic Surgery shadowing on application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starspells

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been incredibly fortunate enough to gain exposure to many different specialities (courtesy of friends with physician parents). As of right now I have shadowed a cardiologist, pediatrician, neurologist, dermatologist and plastic surgeon.

I'm aware these two specialities are incredibly competitive. Thus I am contemplating not including the dermatology and plastic surgery shadowing as I am not a superstar candidate and don't want schools to think I am potentially considering those two fields if I am currently not an academic superstar (as I'm sure schools don't want to deal with unrealistic students not matching come 4th year).

Am I overthinking it or is it best to leave it off due to the above reasoning?

Members don't see this ad.

You are overthinking this. Include them.

Reactions: 5 users
You are waaay overthinking this. There is no good reason to not include all of your shadowing hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're overthinking it, but I did have a friend this cycle whose shadowing consisted of cosmetic derm, plastics, radonc, and ortho. He had an interviewer question his motivations ($$$) because of his shadowing pattern.

Agree with the others that you should include them. you've got a good mix of different specialties, shouldn't raise any eyebrows. now if those were the only two...

You should certainly include them -- having a wide breadth of exposure to medicine is valuable. No one is expecting that who you shadow as an undergrad is indicative of what you will do in the future, especially since you have had such varied experience.

Overthinking is not good for your health. If you are doing this now, it will destroy you in medical school in probably some form of anxiety. Learn to take a deep breath, use common sense, and relax. It's good for you.

You're overthinking it, but I did have a friend this cycle whose shadowing consisted of cosmetic derm, plastics, radonc, and ortho. He had an interviewer question his motivations ($$$) because of his shadowing pattern.

Add a Family Practitioner or IM doc and you're golden.

Reactions: 1 user