Three acceptances, three concentrations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pudu2009

Tiniest deer
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I applied to MPH programs very late this cycle and just received three acceptances: SJSU (community health education), GW on campus (epidemiology) and GW online (global health). I am a CA resident, so SJSU would be the cheapest, but I am not so sure about the concentration as I am more interested in epi and global health. GW is expensive, but the program is amazing, making this decision very difficult. At least with the online program I will be able to stay at home, which will help with cost of living. I've spoken with an admissions counselor for the online GW program, but have not had any luck with contacting SJSU faculty as they only have their e-mails listed on the website.

I guess I'm just looking for advice. I'm new to public health and have an average academic record. If you have applied to or been through any of these programs or know someone who has, I would love your input. I have to send a decision to SJSU early next week.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You can always ask for an extension. They'll usually grant them.

How cost sensitive are you? It sounds like you really want to attend GW. I think you'll need to weigh how you feel about the expense of GW with the experience you'll receive living in DC and going to GW.

For finances, that's really a question only you yourself can answer.

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I applied to MPH programs very late this cycle and just received three acceptances: SJSU (community health education), GW on campus (epidemiology) and GW online (global health). I am a CA resident, so SJSU would be the cheapest, but I am not so sure about the concentration as I am more interested in epi and global health. GW is expensive, but the program is amazing, making this decision very difficult. At least with the online program I will be able to stay at home, which will help with cost of living. I've spoken with an admissions counselor for the online GW program, but have not had any luck with contacting SJSU faculty as they only have their e-mails listed on the website.

I guess I'm just looking for advice. I'm new to public health and have an average academic record. If you have applied to or been through any of these programs or know someone who has, I would love your input. I have to send a decision to SJSU early next week.

Thank you

Strong global health programs have substantial number of faculty who have actual global health experience and have a goal for the program, but other programs use the "global health" label as a marketing label knowing that some students have a strong, yet general, interesting global health. As has been remarked before on this forum, there are people without an MPH who are doing a lot of interesting stuff that is global health related, and there is the danger that if you do an MPH in global health you want have any hard skills when you come out . . . just that you've read/discussed some more about global health issues.

I would rate the SJSU 'brick and mortar' program over anything *online* offered from GW. Why pay more not to attend real classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Financing is definitely a large factor in my decision. My main worry with San Jose State is the concentration. I have zero experience in community health education, and I am not sure if I will enjoy the classes. I do not want to make the same mistake I did in college where I majored in biology (because I was pre-med up until senior year) and hated/did not do well in my major related classes. I have a general understanding of the other two concentrations as I did summer internships at an institution doing epidemiology research and have volunteered for international causes while in college.

The only reason I am considering the GW online program is because of the cheaper cost of living if I stayed at home. I attended an online webinar after receiving an acceptance and I was surprised by the features. The class sizes are small and it is very interactive. Plus I have the same opportunities as the on campus students such as office hours, practicum advice, and joining social groups (online, of course). And I did not have to specify a concentration when I applied so if I change my mind about global health I have other options.

So, to summarize, I would rather buy the more expensive car that will last me a lifetime than the cheaper one that would break down on me soon after I brought it home. I just have to decide if it is worth being 30k-100k in debt for what I think will be the better degree.

I just wanted to give you all an update. I have decided not to accept the offer for San Jose State. I spoke with the program coordinator and I just did not get a good vibe about either the program content or the job prospects. Hopefully I will hear from my number one before I have to make a decision for both GW programs. The program I really want is only half the cost tuition-wise even for out-of-state , and I imagine the living expenses will be less.

Thank you for all your advice.