three kindoms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiphoid2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
totally off topic. Holiday season, have some time and beer I've not had for a long time.

This maybe totally foreign to most posters here, but since I've been such an ardent, proponent of asian values, I figure might as well recommend something to kill time by.

If you are not familiar with the "three kingdoms" epic circa 200 AD of China,you might want to wikipedia or youtube it. It's a dramatic historical story of the change between the once great but failing Han dynasty, endless war and intrigue up/during the divided era and the final reunification under Jin dynasty. The 1994 TV series is something that I grew up with, even if dramatized/idealized, taught much about the selfless traditional values. The 2010 is really good as well, it reflects the rise and growth of modern China, with more respect given to characters who unified and install peace even at great cost.

Part 1-66
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llSbAPwg-0&list=PL618CCE37F4A1D6FD
Part 67-95
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI6Jph5OImU&list=PL9669C97F35C38FE6

It's too bad there isn't an western equivalent. HBO's series, Rome, came close but not nearly as in dept and historically based as Three Kingdom. I'm a bit of a history buff because I feel history makes far better stories than fiction. If you haven't seen ROME series, I would recommend watching it, if anything just to as gain new appreciation for history.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Read a version 20 books long including the post3 kingdoms.
Great military strategies and management of people.

Some say it's based on a short simple poem summary history.

Not sure if the story can be told with a modern twist.

Members don't see this ad :)
totally off topic. Holiday season, have some time and beer I've not had for a long time.

This maybe totally foreign to most posters here, but since I've been such an ardent, proponent of asian values, I figure might as well recommend something to kill time by.

If you are not familiar with the "three kingdoms" epic circa 200 AD of China,you might want to wikipedia or youtube it. It's a dramatic historical story of the change between the once great but failing Han dynasty, endless war and intrigue up/during the divided era and the final reunification under Jin dynasty. The 1994 TV series is something that I grew up with, even if dramatized/idealized, taught much about the selfless traditional values. The 2010 is really good as well, it reflects the rise and growth of modern China, with more respect given to characters who unified and install peace even at great cost.

Part 1-66
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llSbAPwg-0&list=PL618CCE37F4A1D6FD
Part 67-95
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI6Jph5OImU&list=PL9669C97F35C38FE6

It's too bad there isn't an western equivalent. HBO's series, Rome, came close but not nearly as in dept and historically based as Three Kingdom. I'm a bit of a history buff because I feel history makes far better stories than fiction. If you haven't seen ROME series, I would recommend watching it, if anything just to as gain new appreciation for history.

Very familiar with the "three kingdoms," Jin, Sui, Tang, Song, Yuan, Ming, Ching dynasties.

Too bad, will be working on residency applications. Perhaps I should throw in a little sun zi bing fa or Sun tzu's art of war in my paper haha

good find. will watch later. :)

I saw the thread and thought this was about Korea

It's too bad there isn't an western equivalent.

A show about the decline of the American Empire?

Yeah, its called "The Wire."

It should be required viewing before people are allowed to vote. There should be a written exam, too.

"Explain the parallels between the fall of the Franklin Terrace towers and the subsequent results in the Baltimore drug trade to the overall changes in American society circa the early 21st century America. Include the changes in labor, foreign policy, and general degradation of society as a whole."

I'd write a 20 page essay. Single spaced.