Time Commitments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riguy16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience working in a lab during "off hours"? I am currently working full time but thought it might be worthwhile to consider getting involved in some wet lab research if possible. I've done research before but have been out of a lab for a few months. I am applying the current cycle and have several IIs- would consider updating them around January about any new research that I may get involved in.

Do you guys think it might be worthwhile to contact some labs and ask if they would accept me during "off hours"? My current job is important and medically related, so I would not really consider leaving it.

Otherwise, I might look into resuming clinical volunteering at a local hospital.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are very adequately trained from previous lab experience, I would not recommend it. Do you have a couple of techniques you are very good at doing already? If so, it may be worth asking around labs are willing to have you process samples after hours, though I certainly would not consider this a substantial research experience. Even if you can take on one component for a project after hours, you should still make yourself available for a bit during normal work hours, if the PI or other lab members need to talk to you immediately for example.

I'm not sure how productive you can be after hours to warrant an update letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input. I don't find it too practical honestly, but would like to know if anyone has done something of the sort before. I would like to manage research with my job if possible. Unfortunately I cannot leave work from time to time to attend other commitments.

If anyone else can chime in, it would be much appreciated. Just would like some advice on whether trying to pursue/resume research with a full time job is worth considering, or if I should focus on other potential activities for an update letter.

I worked in a lab for a semester that allowed me to run experiments on participants as late as 7 pm, but I wasn't involved enough to accomplish anything past that in the lab.