About the ads

Time Management Study Techniques

Discussion in 'Medical Mastermind Community' started by TheMastermind, Mar 1, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. TheMastermind

TheMastermind Host, Med School Podcast Exhibitor

Attending Physician
    SDN Exhibitor

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    [​IMG]

The MasterMind Study Approach has a few premises that you need to know up front:

1. Your end goal is what's most important, assuming academic integrity, and developing and reminding yourself of your life vision can be helpful
    2. Inflated egos and refusal to accept help are barriers to outstanding success (MasterMind Principle)
    3. We believe it is possible to predict your performance on an exam, in advance enough to make changes to your study techniques
    4. Bad test grades and unsatisfactory performances are NOT YOUR FAULT, they are the result of using the wrong study techniques in that situation OR not following Premise number 3 (above)
    5. The individual student is limited to his/her own experience and insight, but a MasterMind group multiplies the life experience resulting in a full-color palate of Study Technique choices to try out​
    [​IMG]
    Aren't learning preferences hard-wired?

No.

So called "innate" learning styles have been demonstrated to change rapidly in medical students, and can change more than once. This certainly meshes with my experience in observing and interviewing medical students over the years.

If the literature did not mesh with what's really happening in medical schools, then it would be worthless.
    "Would you believe me if I told you that organizing your study plan can actually be fun?"

Remember when you fell in love with the ‘idea of' medicine, taking care of patients and helping people?
    It's sad that tests and academic performance can suck the life, or at least the enjoyment of realizing our dream, out of so many students.
    The MasterMind Study Approach

[​IMG]
    The Study Techniques Course I teach has been synthesized from interviews with hundreds of medical students, USMLE & MCAT teachers, and physicians. I blended my own unique teaching style into a step-by-step Custom Study Plan system that will help you.
    "I guarantee it."

An overview of the steps I use are as follows:

1. Speed Reading 101 & 102 primer course
    2. Innate learning style identification
    3. Classification of material
    4. The Study Techniques palate
    5. Matching correct Study Techniques in different environments
    6. The Feedback Loop
    7. Test-Taking Strategies: in partnership with Princeton Review
    If I had to choose a favorite, it would be number 6, the Feedback Loop. So many students never adequately assess their retention 1-2 weeks before an exam, thereby leaving themselves enough time to adjust their Study Techniques in time to make a difference.
    "But you will be different; and never study the same way again."

Sound like hype?
    I challenge you to go through all of my Study Techniques and Test-Taking Strategies training and see for yourself.

Absolutely NO ONE has ever complained about this program and that's saying a lot in this era of cyber-spamming.

The only caveat I have is that you still have to work hard like you did before. If you're a pre-med, you'll definitely have more time for social interests. If you're in the first year of medical school, or are pursuing a competitive specialty and need extremely high grades throughout medical school, then this program will make your more organized, boost your confidence, and give you a wealth of study ideas with which to play when, not if, you get burned out.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. luckviii

luckviii

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Dr Dan,
    Time management especially in this modern era is crucial in a world where we are bombarded with information overload. How would you recommend handling all these distractions
  3. TheMastermind

Attending Physician
    SDN Exhibitor
    Great question!! With all the technology, you definitely have to be on an information diet or you'll be like that Bing commercial where people keep regurgitating random, useless facts.

I just posted a new Medical School Podcast on Time Management. Here it is:

Episode 72: Read more...

Time Management Strategies For Medical School

1. Do a time inventory and schedule time inventories every 3 weeks.
    2. Set goals.
    3. Set specific tasks with time frames
    4. Use an organizational system (use David Allen's 2-minute rule)
    5. Physical fitness
    6. Use peak performance times
    7. Clean the clutter in your office, home, and nooks and crannies
    8. Set and respect deadlines
    9. Treat emails and your physical inbox as OTHER people's agenda, not your own
    10. Negotiate your open-door policy
    11. Assign responsibilities during the conversation on the subject, and communicate feedback action steps on-the-spot
    12. Observe meeting start and end times strictly
    13. Manage multiple projects so you can mentally change gears and keep busy
    14. Say "no" to new projects if you can't commit the time necessary, or if it unrelated to your Definite Major Purpose
    15. Reward yourself and alternate pleasant and unpleasant tasks

Read more...
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  4. satellite8

satellite8

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hi Dr. Dan, thanks for your post! I think that time management is really necessary for an effective/productive life. For me, though, I always have problems sticking to the plan/goals that I make and end up changing them. Do you have any advice on how to stick with the original plan/goal?
  5. TheMastermind

Attending Physician
    SDN Exhibitor
    Write out your Definite Major Purpose in life. (DMP)

Out line the goals and obstacles involved, as far as you are able to tell, in the achievement of your DMP.

Wait a minute! I'm simply reciting what Napoleon Hill taught!

Actually, he taught 17 Universal Principles of Success, but as far as not being able to stick to a goal goes, the distraction stems from no firm commitment to accomplish a purpose, usually. This could be exemplified by people that spend a lot of time in forums, for example, but never apply what they learn into their real life.

Occasionally, people have all the commitment in the world, but lack direction. This is why the Medical Mastermind Community was created, and also explains why it doesn't work for everyone - because there are not shortcuts in life, or in medical education.

But for the person that is committed to their goal of medical education, the Medical Mastermind Community provides all of the direction, support, and wisdom needed to be a high achiever.

Best,
  6. johanelmander45

johanelmander45

Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Time management techniques

Best regards.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011