time management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedChic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you ever feel the pressure from your non-premed friends to hang out/go out etc? I feel like it's fine to relax once in a while but I totally lose my focus the next day, so I end up saying no more and more esp. with the MCAT 2 months away, but I'm always made to feel guilty.
I thought it would be helpful to see how everyone manages their study time, so...

How many credits are you taking? 12

When are you taking the MCAT? april of 07

How many hours a day are you studying? 4-5

How often do you go out? once a week til the mcat

How much TV do you watch? about 1-2 hrs a night to put myself to sleep

Hermit status: high? medium? low? medium - high until april

Members don't see this ad.

I did as a freshman. I went out all the time. My grades reflect that.

I don't feel any pressure now. Hell, as a graduate student, no one expects me to do anything at all.

Do you ever feel the pressure from your non-premed friends to hang out/go out etc? I feel like it's fine to relax once in a while but I totally lose my focus the next day, so I end up saying no more and more esp. with the MCAT 2 months away, but I'm always made to feel guilty.

Yes. ALL the time. And I have to remind them that I'm studying or going to bed early so I can be ready for school the next day. Most of them understand, and they say that I will think back to those times once I get accepted to medical school, and be thankful that I didn't give up study time to hang out with them. I usually call my friends and tell them when I'm available, and they try to work with me to find a time that works for all of us. And sometimes we'll meet for an hour or so during the day for lunch, just to chill out between classes, etc. My friends are awesome to be so flexible!

How many credits are you taking? 17

When are you taking the MCAT? August 2007

How many hours a day are you studying? Probably averaging 3 hours for regular classes, maybe 1 hour of review a week for the MCAT. I'll be studying my butt off for the MCAT once my finals are over, however.

How often do you go out? Usually 2 nights a week, maybe 3 nights if it's a "slow" week.

How much TV do you watch? Usually 1-2 hours at night. I've gotta get my American Idol fix in on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and the rest of the time I watch TV on DVD (like CSI, Northern Exposure, Lost, ER, Grey's Anatomy).

Hermit status: I'd say medium. I like to spend most of my time chilling out at home, though, so when I relax my friends come over or I go over to their place and we pretty much stay in and watch TV/movies. If we do go out it's not until like 2 am or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, saying "no" to friends is part of the discipline of succeeding in undergrad. Wait till you're a med student - you'll have to say "no" a lot more.

I like this thread. :thumbup:

How many credits are you taking? 15

When are you taking the MCAT? Sometime in '09

How many hours a day are you studying? 3-4

How often do you go out? varies. ~once a month this semester

How much TV do you watch? 1-2 a week. I watch 24 and Scrubs mainly

Hermit status: high? medium? low? medium right now.

I remember being a complete hermit when I was studying for the MCAT. For about two months, I lived at the library. I didn't have a social life at all because I worked and went to school. Really, there was no time to even watch tv...honestly. But, it wasn't so bad. Work was a good outlet. I would never want to go through that again but it was worth the sacrifice because my MCAT score went up from the first time I took it.

Unfortunately, saying "no" to friends is part of the discipline of succeeding in undergrad. Wait till you're a med student - you'll have to say "no" a lot more.

Thanks, I know
It just gets so lonely sometimes, but I guess that's the life I'm choosing for the next 4 years if I get into med school. I just hope it pays off.
It's good to know I'm not alone though =)

During my MCAT semester a year ago I was:

How many credits are you taking? 13

When are you taking the MCAT? april of 06

How many hours a day are you studying? 0 for mcat (outside of kaplan course), maybe 1 hr a day on average for everything else

How often do you go out? 2-4 times a week

How much TV do you watch? none but I'm on the internet almost 8 hours a day

Hermit status: high unless I'm going out to class, party, eat etc.

I thought it would be helpful to see how everyone manages their study time, so...

Credits: 21
Hrs Studying/Day: ~3
Go Out: 2-3x/week (not during weekdays except fri)
TV: 1 hr on mondays or tuesdays depending on whether I get home in time for Heroes
Hermit Status: medium

How many credits are you taking? 20

When are you taking the MCAT? April 2008

How many hours a day are you studying? 5ish on weekdays, more on weekends

How often do you go out? I don't go out much, but I spend about 10 hours/week in extracurricular activities.

How much TV do you watch? None

Hermit status: high? medium? low? Medium high I guess.. my clubs keep me connected.

When are you taking the MCAT? April 2008

How many hours a day are you studying? 1.5-3

How often do you go out? I get to go work 56 hours a week!

How much TV do you watch? Grey's(I work in the OR-there are not as many linen rooms as the show portray's) on thursday-1 hr and 2 movies on week-ends with my wife and 2 daughters.

Hermit status: high? medium? low? medium-my wife has people over on weekends so I feel like I am still part of the society in general.:laugh: I still think the world of pre-med student is far funner than many of the other options.

That's very efficient. From a former pre-med to the next, I am proud of you.

Thanks, I know
It just gets so lonely sometimes, but I guess that's the life I'm choosing for the next 4 years if I get into med school. I just hope it pays off.
It's good to know I'm not alone though =)

heck - it ain't for the next 4 years. it'll be at least for the next 7 years...at least.

Already took it but here are my responses:

How many credits are you taking? Summer so none

When are you taking the MCAT? August 2005

How often do you go out? Every weekend

How much TV do you watch? Atleast, 1.5 hour a day

Hermit status: high? medium? low? medium

off topic, but.. MedChic, is your avatar your actual picture??

rofl - silly jae, that's elliot from "scrubs"!

general030.jpg

rofl - silly jae, that's elliot from "scrubs"!

:laugh:

for your information, my avatar is not me, as well.

she's supposed to be a pretty famous actress, i hear.:D