Time off between general and interventional fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheenap7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone out there knows whether taking 1 yr off between general and interventional fellowships would hurt or not make much of a difference? My husband will still have 1 yr left at his post after I am finished with general cards fellowship and I would like to stay with him and try to start a family before moving again for interventional yr. I would still work as a general cardiologist for that yr, and would try to see if I can do diagnostic caths as well so that I do not forget my skills, but is it going to hurt my chances by not going straight through from general to interventional?

Members don't see this ad.

One year gap is not as big deal as longer gaps.. you will be still applying and interviewing as a cardiology fellow backed by the regular support of your fellowship ( may be with more confident letter as we all do better as a third year fellows). a longer gap may be concerning for losing you cath lab skills and going out of practice with procedures, but many did that as well..