Timeline for DO application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morguean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have started the application process for DO schools. My GPA is 3.3 and I still have to take the MCAT. I had a bad freshman year for grades and that contributes to the low gpa. Let's say that I'd get a 27-29 on my MCAT. I have a lot of patient contact hours as an EMT and have leadership and volunteer experience. I also did one semester of research and 40 hrs of MD shadowing.

Applying to DO schools was a recent decision, so I'm a little behind. I still need to shadow a DO and take the MCAT. What should the latest date to have my application in be? I'm thinking about study time for the MCAT vs. getting the app in earlier. I also need a little time do find a DO. I'd appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get a letter from the MD you shadowed I wouldn't worry too much about finding a DO to shadow. It looks nice, but not having that won't kill your app. Apply now so that your app can get verified - I'd say aim for September and no later than October.

If you can get a letter from the MD you shadowed I wouldn't worry too much about finding a DO to shadow. It looks nice, but not having that won't kill your app. Apply now so that your app can get verified - I'd say aim for September and no later than October.

For DO schools, having a DO letter is best. Several schools (around 6) require a DO letter just to send in an application and won't accept an MD letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
It does, but I wouldn't delay an app solely because of it.
oh ya, definitely. And you can also send in update packages later to schools showing that you took the time to shadow a DO.

OP without DO letter must rule out those schools which require DO letter. Even schools that do not require one, having a DO letter goes a long way. Shows you are interested in DO medicine and went out of way to find DO since they are harder to come across.

If your primary isn't in by September, I'd consider applying next year, unless you do well on the MCAT (30+), don't care as much where you go, and want/need to start now.

If your primary isn't in by September, I'd consider applying next year, unless you do well on the MCAT (30+), don't care as much where you go, and want/need to start now.
What about if I submitted my primary, verified, but I am scheduled to take a mid-Sept MCAT? I already have a June MCAT but the score is too low.
Would it be worth it to still apply this cycle?

What about if I submitted my primary, verified, but I am scheduled to take a mid-Sept MCAT? I already have a June MCAT but the score is too low.
Would it be worth it to still apply this cycle?

It really depends on your stats, and what you want. Like I mentioned, if you want to just get in somewhere, it doesn't really matter when you apply (until maybe Jan, after that, you really risk missing the interview season). That said, your chances are significantly better if you apply early, especially at schools that are competitive or if you have borderline stats.

I submitted my primary very late in 2012 when I got in because I had some circumstances in which it was important to get in and start as quickly as possible (I'm also a nontrad and older), so I get it if people have a similar situation and want to risk it.