timeline for fmg if applying for urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgical FMG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all
im taking my step 1 in mid august before starting my mph year in boston, i previously was all-geared up for general surgery, but recently have been starting to think about urology, with all the lifestyle advantages and yet no compromising on the surgery aspect + opportunities for lots of outcomes research + interesting subspecialties to branch into ...

i understand its a tough match already for US applicants (70-80% match rate), and even more so for FMGs (25% match rate).

i'm just wondering if itll be OK to apply with just a Step 1 score (like most US applicants), or do i need to be ECFMG-certified by Sept 1, Sept 15, Oct 1 or Oct 15?

Im intending to do some urology research as all my 15 other publications were about general surgery / global health, so im definitely lacking in that, not to mention lack of urology clinical experience both in home country and US.

any advice? thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
get step 1 and 2 out of the way first before even considering urology

As a non-ECFMG certified IMG, your application will be screened out without even getting in the hands of a PD. Also, you'll need to have pretty Damn good research experience in addition to stellar scores to have a shot at a position. Finally, I seriously doubt IMG match rates are 25%.

Basically your application is going to have to be so good that the only reason not to interview you is that you are an FMG. That means (on top of an awesome app, tons of research, great letters, etc): ECFMG certified, Step 1 and 2 aced, no visa issues.