Timeline help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crafty fern

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Schools are not going to be impressed by your current GPA so you need to wait to apply until you've boosted it by completing the post-bacc or SMP.

It sounds like you are rushing everything just because you are concerned about the new MCAT. Ideally, you only want to apply once to medical school, when you are best prepared. Taking the MCAT before doing a post bacc or SMP seems backwards—why not take it AFTER the additional coursework? You'll be so much better versed in all of the material having just taken relevant classes, and if everything doesn't go exactly as planned you won't have the worry of MCAT scores expiring.

The psych/soc on the new MCAT is intro-level—you can do it. Slow down, do it right the first time, and you will save yourself a lot of heartache down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
If I'm not wrong some of the better SMP require a MCAT score. I'm now leaning a tad bit into DO schools and I feel like with grade replacement I may be a bit more of a better applicant? You are right though, I am very concerned with the new MCAT.