Times Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoughtFyr

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't believe my old password worked. I haven't been on the site for many years, how many of the old guard are still around? I am, however, still happy to help anyone at anytime.

I've reentered academia, and now board-certified in EMS, and generally enjoying life in the southeast.

I feel like I've gone back to a bar on my old college campus… By the looks of things it is still the same circus, just different clowns.

- H

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I was just thinking about you yesterday (well, not "you", but those of us on SDN that were firefighters in the past, like you, and me, and DocB, and southerndoc). However, 'most no one is left, besides me, southerndoc, General Veers, Daiphon, and IbnSina (who is now Dr.McNinja). I might be missing a few, but, Roja, Jeff698, MikeCWRU, docB - all gone. Quinn posts about 3 or 4 posts/year. Hornet stopped in once to say he'd locum'd for 5 or 6 years, and is now independently wealthy. Spyderdoc and Sessamoid and ERMudPhud are vapor. The rest are a newer generation (who are already growing long in the tooth).

It's like the ED, where half the patients are trauma, and the other half is "everything else". Half the threads are about practice, and the other half are everything else - the interviews, the high school students asking inane questions, the FMGs who think their situation is "unique" (just like everyone else, buddy), WAMC? (What are my chances?), and the rare (comparatively) off-topic .

Reactions: 1 user
I was just thinking about you yesterday (well, not "you", but those of us on SDN that were firefighters in the past, like you, and me, and DocB, and southerndoc). However, 'most no one is left, besides me, southerndoc, General Veers, Daiphon, and IbnSina (who is now Dr.McNinja). I might be missing a few, but, Roja, Jeff698, MikeCWRU, docB - all gone. Quinn posts about 3 or 4 posts/year. Hornet stopped in once to say he'd locum'd for 5 or 6 years, and is now independently wealthy. Spyderdoc and Sessamoid and ERMudPhud are vapor. The rest are a newer generation (who are already growing long in the tooth).

It's like the ED, where half the patients are trauma, and the other half is "everything else". Half the threads are about practice, and the other half are everything else - the interviews, the high school students asking inane questions, the FMGs who think their situation is "unique" (just like everyone else, buddy), WAMC? (What are my chances?), and the rare (comparatively) off-topic .

So I'm part of the new guard, eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly can't believe my old password worked. I haven't been on the site for many years, how many of the old guard are still around? I am, however, still happy to help anyone at anytime.

I've reentered academia, and now board-certified in EMS, and generally enjoying life in the southeast.

I feel like I've gone back to a bar on my old college campus… By the looks of things it is still the same circus, just different clowns.

- H
Welcome back, dude. d=)

Roja is (last I heard) in academics. Mike WAS at CWRU nearly 2 years ago, when I did ATLS there. I don't tweet, man!

I'm on ACEP Council steering with Mike and flew with Metro until this June. He is in New Orleans now. Where is Roja?

And join Twitter! Follow me at: @drhowiemell

- H

It's amazing how many people on here know each other from way back.
It's even more amazing how many of you I've met in other venues without knowing of the other avatar.
Wait, this makes me old?

Members don't see this ad :)

- H
You totally missed an epic reign of one of the biggest SDN EM clowns of all, who came and (mostly) went away all in your time away.

Me.

Welcome back!

Welcome back! I don't think the place has really changed much in all these years. It is definitely nice to have people in the specialty you can bounce concerns/problems off of without (too much) judgement.

Welcome back! I don't think the place has really changed much in all these years. It is definitely nice to have people in the specialty you can bounce concerns/problems off of without (too much) judgement.
Unless you count the endless misguided heckling from premeds, med students, and idealistic residents as nice. I mean, there's a reason most of us decreased or completely cut out time spent here.

Unless you count the endless misguided heckling from premeds, med students, and idealistic residents as nice. I mean, there's a reason most of us decreased or completely cut out time spent here.

What about the non-idealistic, overly jaded residents? Do we count for anything?

Reactions: 5 users
I think it's recall bias.
I didn't climb on the SDN train until partway through my intern year. And if I look back through the retrospectoscope at the kinds of threads then, they were all interesting and useful.
But now, yes, there's a lot of skimming through 90% of the active threads because it's the same thing over and over and over. It was probably pretty similar back then. I can't imagine that med students were any less neurotic back in the mid-to-late-'aughts.

Unless you count the endless misguided heckling from ... idealistic residents as nice.

Don't know why, but this post reminded me of how much I liked Panda Bear's stuff when he was still around.
- PGY3, six months and counting

FoughtFyr! Nice to see you back!!!!!!

I think it's recall bias.
I didn't climb on the SDN train until partway through my intern year. And if I look back through the retrospectoscope at the kinds of threads then, they were all interesting and useful.
But now, yes, there's a lot of skimming through 90% of the active threads because it's the same thing over and over and over. It was probably pretty similar back then. I can't imagine that med students were any less neurotic back in the mid-to-late-'aughts.

Yeah, I agree with the "same thing over and over" assessment, but its up to us to change that. Birdstrike prods us every now and again; but I'm thinking about what else we can do to liven it up around here. I post with totally random stuff (vacation advice, plans to climb the Grand Teton, classic video games, etc) - but we really should do something to "grow" the community.

I wonder what we could do. Hmm.

Yeah, I agree with the "same thing over and over" assessment, but its up to us to change that. Birdstrike prods us every now and again; but I'm thinking about what else we can do to liven it up around here. I post with totally random stuff (vacation advice, plans to climb the Grand Teton, classic video games, etc) - but we really should do something to "grow" the community.

I wonder what we could do. Hmm.

Post cases and encourage us to not (only) sarcastically reply.

Welcome back.

I've been quietly stalking for years and it's crazy that I've either worked/studied/met so many of the old SDN crew over the years. It's a smaller world than I ever realized before I started into EM.

Wow! Like a big reunion here!

Apollyon, I'm not quite vapor, but close.... I was ousted as moderator, and rightfully so, since although I checked up on here frequently, I wasn't posting/contributing much....

All is well here in the Bay Area. I do still check in here on occasion, but been busy balancing life between raising my growing kids and work.

It is nice to see the "old folks" posting on here and checking in.

I get what was said before about the change in thread topics.

Sometimes I wanted to say "You kids get off my lawn!" while shaking my cane.

Seems like I'm never on SDN anymore, but I just looked & I did post over 20 times in the past month

Hmm...

Last edited:
Wow! Like a big reunion here!

Apollyon, I'm not quite vapor, but close.... I was ousted as moderator, and rightfully so, since although I checked up on here frequently, I wasn't posting/contributing much....

All is well here in the Bay Area. I do still check in here on occasion, but been busy balancing life between raising my growing kids and work.

It is nice to see the "old folks" posting on here and checking in.

Hey Spyderdoc, I was wondering where you went. Weren't you in Vegas for a while?

Where the heck is @docB btw. He was a major, if not the major poster, on this forum for a long time. Hasn't posted in forever

Hey Spyderdoc, I was wondering where you went. Weren't you in Vegas for a while?

Nope. I've been in Silicon Valley, same gig for just over 10 years! No intent to move anytime soon. DocB is (or was) in Vegas. Sessamoid is in Bay Area and I correspond with him on occasion.

I had to check a box that I wasn't trying to spam and am also surprised my account still worked. Moved to New Orleans in 2015.