Timing counts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyjoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What counts do you use for each section? I recently saw someone say that for physical sciences they tried to follow the timing at question x as follows:

#13 54:00
#26 38:00
#39 22:00
#52 6:00

What are your timing strategies?

Members don't see this ad.

This strategy requires you to do the questions in order. I used the Kaplan method for PS and BS (discretes first then passages), so you just have to get a feel for it with respect to amount of time remaining and number of passages left. I also jumped around a lot so I never tried out a timing method. It's not to say that it wouldn't work, but it only matters what works for you.

Timing points work better in VR. My timing points were every 10 questions:
#1 60m
#10 45m
#20 30m
#30 15m

This strategy requires you to do the questions in order. I used the Kaplan method for PS and BS (discretes first then passages), so you just have to get a feel for it with respect to amount of time remaining and number of passages left. I also jumped around a lot so I never tried out a timing method. It's not to say that it wouldn't work, but it only matters what works for you.

Timing points work better in VR. My timing points were every 10 questions:
#1 60m
#10 45m
#20 30m
#30 15m

I'm too scared to jump around haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm too scared to jump around haha

This isn't related to timing, but the only jumping around I do is for PS I try to get through all the discretes, then GChem passages, then Physics passages (based on my comfort level of Gchem being greater than physics). I know some passages have overlap for both subjects, but I quickly glance at the passage/questions to see what subject the majority of questions come from. This way my brain isn't having to switch from Gchem to Physics more times than necessary. Similarly for BS, I do discretes, then Bio passages, then Ochem passages (again I know there is some overlap, perhaps more than with PS).

Jumping around is necessary to avoid spending too much time on a single question. Pick off the easy ones first to make sure you get those points, and then you can work on the harder ones that require more calculation or revision of the passage.

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't related to timing, but the only jumping around I do is for PS I try to get through all the discretes, then GChem passages, then Physics passages (based on my comfort level of Gchem being greater than physics). I know some passages have overlap for both subjects, but I quickly glance at the passage/questions to see what subject the majority of questions come from. This way my brain isn't having to switch from Gchem to Physics more times than necessary. Similarly for BS, I do discretes, then Bio passages, then Ochem passages (again I know there is some overlap, perhaps more than with PS).

That's an interesting strategy. I'm curious to know how many others use this strategy. How do you know which questions are discretes in the review window? How well has this worked for you?

That's an interesting strategy. I'm curious to know how many others use this strategy. How do you know which questions are discretes in the review window? How well has this worked for you?

This method was suggested to me by my TPR physics teacher when I took the course, and she seemed to know what she was doing so I figured I'd follow her advice.

I don't look at the review window, I just click through the exam until I get to the end, stopping at the discretes along the way. Then I go back to the beginning and start on passages. I've only taken 3 practice full lengths so far (TPR1, AAMC3, TPR2), but the discretes seem to be in sets of 4-5. I'm not sure if this is the case for the real thing.

The one thing I haven't yet figured out is how long it should take me to finish the discretes. I read somewhere on here that discretes should go from the 110 minute mark to 60 minute mark...but I seem to take a few more minutes longer than that (maybe to the 57 minute mark?) because I'm slow.

Interesting suggestion. I'm just worried that I will waste too much time skipping around.

It takes a few seconds, but in the long run it is worth it because you don't get bogged down by a hard passage or discrete question.

I'll definitely have to try it. Thanks for the tip. If I follow that method, though, I'd imagine that any timing counts (as described above) would not be effective.

I'll definitely have to try it. Thanks for the tip. If I follow that method, though, I'd imagine that any timing counts (as described above) would not be effective.

I've tried out two different timing methods I found from browsing SDN so far (for PS and BS):

110-60 (FSQ's), 52, 44, 36, 28, 12, 4

110-57 (FSQ's), 57-41 (passage 1&2), 41-26 (passage 3&4), 26-9 (passage 5&6), 9-0 (passage 7)

I haven't decided what works best for me on PS...I'm always stressed for time.

For verbal I have followed the 52, 44, 36, 28, 20, 12. This pace has worked well for me so far. But I have not taken the MCAT so don't put too much weight on my method.

This is from the Kaplan strategies:

Physical/Biological Sciences
Discrete (finished) - 57 min
1st Pair - 41 min
2nd Pair - 25 min
3rd Pair - 9 min
Last Passage - 1 min buffer

Verbal
1st Pair - 43 min
2nd Pair - 26 min
3rd Pair - 9 min
Last Passage - 0.5 min buffer (I guess even 30 secs helps!)

Personally, I don't follow the Verbal timing as much. I find that oftentimes I try to finish the first passage within 8 minutes and check my timing there. Afterwards, I tend to check sporadically but always get rushed towards the end. Luckily, recently, I've been finishing each section with around 1-2 minutes to spare. For me, BS is the easiest for timing and I can go at a relaxed pace and even spend disproportionate time on problems :)