TIMING - Intern in Ireland and then US residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kan40

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am planning on applying for US residency in internal medicine but wish to do intern year in Ireland first (I am a student in Ireland and Irish citizen) to get my surgical requirement done.

My question is about TIMING...If I do intern year in Ireland which is July -July, I feel that I wont have time to go straight to internship in the US which also starts in July. And I might have trouble getting time off in intern year in Ireland to go to the US for interviews.

Has anyone done this before? I can't apply to the US in final year of med school as I have not yet taken the USMLEs (bad planning on my part!)

Any advice?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Loads of us have done it. In my year at St. James's, 3 of us Americans completed internship then returned to the US for residency (other Americans stayed, they had not done their USMLEs yet).

Basically what you do is request vacation off the last 3 weeks of June. Obviously, they can only grant that to a certain number of people. If you don't get it (I didn't), then you basically say...well sorry, I'm eligible for 10 sick days + conference days and basically use our sick day time. This is flying under the radar and although I didn't let the hospital know I was doing this, I let my team know in advance so they could prepare to be down an intern.

Keep in mind that before you start residency/internship, most hospitals have a mandatory 2 week period in June for orientation.

You have 6 weeks of vacation. You use the first part to schedule interviews (usually late November/December). You try to use the 2nd part to move back home / residency orientation. And in between there's usually some days to get some vacation in there. And you have sick days.

Thanks leorl, great to hear other people have been able to do this!
Hopefully it will work out :)