Timing of audition rotation and submission of ERAS appplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuyaaa09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year DO student interested in Surgery with IM as back up.
I have dilemmas and questions regarding the timing of submission of my application to residencies through ERAS. I am now ready to submit my personal statements, LORs and certified ERAS applications to both Surgery and Internal Medicine. I have not received my COMLEX 2 board scores yet but I’m expecting it in 2 weeks. I also have 6 audition rotations (3 are 4 weeks, 3 are 2 weeks) in Surgery from August to December and in addition a Surgical ICU in October.

My questions are:

1. Should I submit my low tier IM applications first since I am more competitive in IM.

2. Wait for my board scores to apply to surgery and the more competitive IM programs? However this is assuming I get a better board score.

3. Wait until I am already in the audition rotations in surgery then submit the application. I am afraid that if I apply early that my application may just be discarded and the programs may not be willing to look at my application again after I have done the audition rotation.

4. What do I do in the surgery audition rotations to be granted an interview aside from trying to do well? Do I try to have a meeting with the Program Director so I get noticed. I could be doing well but my preceptor may not have the chance to relay this to the PD. I want to make sure of making the most out of these rotations as I am pinning a lot of my hopes on them.

I do need your advice.

Members don't see this ad.