Timing of Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ursus Martimus

Ursus Martimus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this topic has been hashed over on some other threads that I couldn't find.

I will have one radonc rec before sept 1. I am scheduled to do another away rotation in Sept but am concerned that it is too late for including a letter in my application from that program. How do the folks in radonc work it? Will they start downloading your application from ERAS only once all your letters are in? Or can you add a 3rd and a 4th letter up to the program's deadline? Would it be worth holding out for a second LOR, or just closing the deal with a completed application?

Members don't see this ad.

Will they start downloading your application from ERAS only once all your letters are in? Or can you add a 3rd and a 4th letter up to the program's deadline? Would it be worth holding out for a second LOR, or just closing the deal with a completed application?

Yes, programs will start downloading whatever documents you have in your ERAS. However, most if not all programs will not review or consider your application until it is complete (sans Dean's Letter of course). This underscores the importance of getting everything in as early as possible, cuz as Steph has pointed out (and was the case with my personal experience)....invitations are often rolling. The most difficult thing is getting all the LORs in, which you to a certain extent have no control over. My advice would be to get in whatever LOR you have to meet the programs' minimum # of LOR so that they can review your app.... and send in the extra one(s) for later.

some programs download applications and updated applications every day while some do it every week, and others do it only once or twice during that process. most programs dont offer 'rolling interviews' but it is always nice to have a completed application as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Ursus,

I'll be closely watching your trials and tribulations on the application trail this year, b/c I'll be doing the same thing next year. Hopefully by the end of it all, you will have a RadOnc residency of your choosing and the rest of us will have been able to pick up a pointer or two.

Good luck and keep us posted!

A very basic question: to complete the application on ERAS have people been sending official med school transcripts? My school routinely sends the transcripts out with the Dean's letters - in Nov. Can/should you send one now and then an updated version in Nov?

Thanks

yes, "complete" your application now, so programs can start reviewing your file. Sure, an updated transcript can be sent later.