Timing of step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think a 224 on step I justifies putting off step II until, let's say, December? My overall application is average at best and am not considering any super competitive programs / fields of study (although ER might have an outside shot).

Members don't see this ad.

Gfunk6 said:
If you think you can improve your score significantly i.e. 230+, then it is worth it. If not, don't bother. It can only hurt your application if your score lower.

Got another question.. when is the last test date before it is too late to get posted on our residency application?

Around September? October?

Daredevil said:
Got another question.. when is the last test date before it is too late to get posted on our residency application?

Bump. Good question.

Daredevil said:

Well, Dean's Letters are submitted on Nov. 1st which is when many residency programs start looking at applications (though ERAS actually accepts applications starting on August 1st).

Anyway, assuming it takes about 4 weeks to get your Step 2 scores, I would say that taking it in December will probably have some impact on your chances b/c programs will see it (assuming you release the scores) before they make their rank lists in February.

To answer your question, January would be too late to be posted on your residency application.