Timing of sub-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rollo

Renowned Wolf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we're picking rotation orders for 3 & 4th year and it looks like it will be difficult for us to switch medical sub-I during 4th year. Meaning if we get medical sub-I as 6th rotation, it's almost impossible to switch it from that spot.

So, how important is a sub-I for matching purposes? Will doing good in it counter a low board score or average clerkship grades?

And, when is the ideal time to schedule the sub-I? Early in 4th year (like before september?)

Members don't see this ad.

So we're picking rotation orders for 3 & 4th year and it looks like it will be difficult for us to switch medical sub-I during 4th year. Meaning if we get medical sub-I as 6th rotation, it's almost impossible to switch it from that spot.

So, how important is a sub-I for matching purposes? Will doing good in it counter a low board score or average clerkship grades?

And, when is the ideal time to schedule the sub-I? Early in 4th year (like before september?)

You'll definitely want to schedule the audition rotations for your chosen specialty (or specialties if you're deciding between two) to be early in the year. This can be right out of the gate 4th year if you're interested in an early match or highly competitive specialty, or you might start the year with an easy or review elective in order to kill Step II and beef up your knowledge base for your sub-I.

A kickass audition could be extremely valuable, particularly if it comes with an LOR and is paired with a sound match strategy. Different PDs will consider things in various ways, and sure certain apprehensions about boards or other factors can be allayed with a great in-person performance. Anyway, in the ideal world you'd be the pristine app at the very top of the PD's stack, but in reality you just do the best you can regarding both timing and performance. Then you get to sweat it out with everybody else and hope your best was good enough.

Thanks for the advice on audition rotation.

What is your opinion on doing a sub-I before going on residency interviews? Or should I just go ahead and do sub-I towards the end of 4th year so the transition to intern year is not as rough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice on audition rotation.

What is your opinion on doing a sub-I before going on residency interviews? Or should I just go ahead and do sub-I towards the end of 4th year so the transition to intern year is not as rough?

Granted im no expert yet but it would seem foolish to me to do your sub-i at the end of 4th year. Given that the whole point is to 'audition', it would be wise to have done that rotation and get your evals back and ready for your interviews.

Granted im no expert yet but it would seem foolish to me to do your sub-i at the end of 4th year. Given that the whole point is to 'audition', it would be wise to have done that rotation and get your evals back and ready for your interviews.

Yeah I was thinking that. Though I've heard that if you don't get to do your sub-I early enough, do them towards the end of the year so you get comfortable with being an intern (not exactly though because as an intern, you have more responsibilities).

I'm not exactly sure how much of a difference it makes doing a sub-I towards the end of senior year versus doing it early FOR THE PURPOSE of getting a taste of what life will be like as an intern.

Do "audition rotations" and sub-I pretty much serve the same purpose? I realize sub-I is more of you being an intern, but does it really matter if you do electives at the beginning of 4th yr if you can't get your sub-I early? My guess is that maybe it would be important if you absolutely know where you want to be?
also, if you get stuck with an elective early in 3rd yr, would it be wise to do what you think you may want to go into and just not ask for a LOR? Maybe this might be a good way to prep for later electives?