Tips for Endocrinology Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobsanchez123c

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any tips to approach an endocrinology rotation. ie. Good review materials and things to brush up on before the start of the rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

You must be a 4th year? I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you have testing requirements at the end of this. But if you are looking for decent clinical performance, here's a brief list of things you should know pretty well to really shine right from the start:

1. Know diabetes pathophys and treatment pretty well. Know how to dose insulin inpatient and outpatient and what diabetic screening needs to be done (eye and foot exams, interval a1c), etc.
2. Know the adrenal gland and its various nuances (addison's, cushing, etc) and pathophys (cortex and medullary levels and what they make)
3. Know the pituitary and all of its woes (adenomas, hypopituitarism, etc)
4. Brush up on the thyroid pathophys and common disorders (hypothyroidism and its causes, hyperthyroidism and its causes)

If you know those, you will go a long way in dealing with common problems. Then you can learn more about the specifics on rotation, such as MEN syndromes, reproductive hormone related disorders, etc.

Keeping up ordinary endocrine capacity is urgent for ideal wellbeing. Both essential and auxiliary endocrine procedures cause ailment states. Amid the one-month endocrinology and digestion system pivot, the PGY2 or 3 occupant will find out about typical endocrine capacity and normal and remarkable endocrine issue and their assessment and administration. The real target of this revolution is to prepare occupants to apply the standards of endocrinology to the administration of normal physiologic disturbances

Also know first and second line testing for major endocrinopathies. I.e., low dose cortisol suppression for Cushing's, IGF-1 for acromegaly, serum metanephrines followed by urine meta for pheo, etc