Tips for maintaining focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilliamsEph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I must have undiagnosed ADHD or something because even though I know the Step is the biggest exam of my life I've been unable to study for long hours at a time without my mind wandering. College football season was especially bad since its the only sport I follow and I would be checking scores, news constantly. Lately, I've found a way to focus using something called the Pomodoro technique, which basically chunks up study time into 25 minute blocks with 5 minutes of rest. I use a program called Vitamin-R on my Mac to track the time and add study notes. I've also downloaded a free program called SelfControl which allows me to block websites, and the sites stay blocked even after a reboot until the time you set expires. So, I blocked all my sports sites and facebook. I know its sad that I needed a program to do this for me, but I guess I really did have no self control. A 5 minute study break to check scores would end up being 45 minutes in my case.

Anways, anyone else have other study tips to maintain focus?

Members don't see this ad.

Too many apps.. Just study for 30-60min then take a 15min break.

No app or study technique can give you self control. Just practice and make it a habit.

You're in the less then 6 months from step denial phase.

You're mind does not want to deal with even contemplating the amount of work, and it manifests as disinterest.

It will pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you use that method often? I tried it, but I find that 25 minute intervals almost always leave me at a terrible stopping/pausing point.

Yeah I use them (the full system, writing down what was done in each block, etc). As for stopping places, I just pick up where I left off, skimming a bit of the previous para. The reason I like them is that when I've done 4 pomodoros in a row, I know I've put 100 minutes of pure focus into something. I also start to get a realistic feel for how long certain tasks take.

Between this, anki and 5/3/1 I live a very "programmed and quantified" life. hahaha

Last edited:
Yeah I use them (the full system, writing down what was done in each block, etc). As for stopping places, I just pick up where I left off, skimming a bit of the previous para. The reason I like them is that when I've done 4 pomodoros in a row, I know I've put 100 minutes of pure focus into something. I also start to get a realistic feel for how long certain tasks take.

Between this, anki and 5/3/1 I live a very "programmed and quantified" life. hahaha

Interesting. I'll give it another try and write down what I do as well.

I had problems staying focused during MS-1 so what I did was I used timers with strict micro-deadlines to help keep myself focused. The utensils & kitchen section at Target has very good kitchen/oven timers. I bought a moderately expensive one with start/stop/memory functions because the cheap ones didn't function well. I would use 1 overall timer to set the overall session time (1 hour). Then, I would use a smaller timer to set the pace of what activity I'm trying to complete. For example, once if I were reading a book I would figure out my average reading speed (say 1 page every 5-6 minutes), then I would set the timer for 5-6 minutes for every page until I got it done within that one hour. Then I'd use the small timer to give myself a few minutes of break at the end of the hour. I still do it as an MS-2 and use it to give myself 30 seconds for each question in Firecracker when doing my review questions. As long as you're strict about the deadlines it works very well -- only do just schoolwork while the overall session timer is run. Then, take a break. I've found that if I ignore my overall timer I can easily waste large chunks of time, so I try to not get up while the timer is going (or only get up to stretch, move around to maintain circulation and avoid DVT), or if I have to take a break during the overall session I use the smaller timer to do it. Closer to exam time I'll not go to the bathroom or study in the bathroom if I have to use the bathroom while the overall clock is going. Do this whenever it's difficult to focus. When it's not difficult to focus then no timers are necessary. The smaller timer use itself is efficient and effective -- use one that can fit in the palm of your hand. It can be used with one hand to start/stop for quick timing or set on the desk for visual inspection to determine when time will run out. That's just what I do. Maybe that will help.