Tips on gaining leadership in club, volunteering, etc. for a shy person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boba96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community! :)
I am currently an incoming freshmen at UC Irvine. I am hoping you guys can impart me with some advice and tips on how to build myself up for a leadership position in a club, volunteering organization, etc. I am hoping for advice and tips because I am a very shy and reserved person. Also, I don't really know how to handle the competition for a leadership position. I remember in high school I wouldn't go after being president/ vice president because I didn't want that competition with my friends. I was essentially letting them go after the position because I was a afraid of the awkwardness and competition that would arise if we both went after the position. Also, what deterred me the most were those overly pushy and aggressive people that were set on being president of everything and thus would cause drama/ talk bad about you if you were in their way. As a result, I never held any leadership positions in high school clubs. However, I am really hoping to gain some leadership positions in college now for med school. Any tips/advice on how I can go about that given my shy, reserved and non-confrontational personality?

Sorry for the long post. :/ I appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I used to be the same way, and, honestly, the only way to get over it is to put yourself out there and go for it. Once you get over that initial bump (success or otherwise), things start to get easier. Are you going to succeed on your first try? Maybe. Maybe not. You have to learn to be okay with that. Being able to leave your comfort zone is not only important for going after leadership positions and such, but it will be necessary when you hit the wards in medical school and throughout the rest of your clinical practice.