Tips on how to retire early (mid 30s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manifesto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an undergrad senior looking to matriculate in D1 later this fall. I've shadowed many dentists and really fell in love with the profession, but one of my dreams is to retire early to do other non-career projects. What are some tips to help me accomplish this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Live well below your means. Save profusely. Starting funding your retirement accounts now.

Honestly though, assuming that you are a traditional applicant, you will graduate dental school at age 25-26. If you want to retire in mid-30s, then that's just 10 years....Even if you throw 50k/year towards retirement, you're going to be looking at a very, very small income per year once you are retired.

With the upfront captial required to attend dental school, plus the upfront capital required to start/buy a practice, you will likely just break even (zero debt) by that time. Shoot for the mid 40's at earliest.

Reactions: 1 users
Become a Texas resident this year and and get into a Texas state school next year for their sweet instate tuition rate.

Reactions: 1 user
Some more details: I have a full ride and I will inherit one mid-size clinic. Retirement accounts (Roth IRA) are maxed out every year. And 75% of my savings are in stocks/total stock market index funds. I plan on putting 20% more into stocks later this year, mostly on big oil stocks with dividends.

Reactions: 1 user
I change my position. You can totally retire in your mid-30s, you lucky....

So... why are you asking us? Seems like you already have it planned out.

So... why are you asking us? Seems like you already have it planned out.

I'm asking to see if there are any other ideas. While I've been very lucky to have most of my finances in order, the clinic I will inherit is not the most fast paced. Never marketed properly.

I still say, you lucky...

I'm currently an undergrad senior looking to matriculate in D1 later this fall. I've shadowed many dentists and really fell in love with the profession, but one of my dreams is to retire early to do other non-career projects. What are some tips to help me accomplish this?
Your goals are based on where and what you are doing in life.

Example.

Me as D1: Try to specialize and aim for top 10% of my class.

D2: I completely realized how snobbish my life became focusing on grades, but instead decided to enjoy more life around dental school and still do good academically. Gave up on specializing at this point.

D3: Begining of my clinic year, I really noticed that I was connecting with patients well in accepting treatments, I decided to explore idea of opening a practicing right after school. I started talking to senior dentists who own their own practices and pictured myself as them with quicker route to their success.

D4: I was already scouting for a place to open my first office. After graduation, my confidence was good enough to open a practice within 6 months.

5 years in the field, I can't believe time flew by, married, home, no kids, offices doing well, advising younger grads and students, I'm very happy to keep doing this for another 10 years, and continue to enjoy life.

I think there is a big risk on making a radical change after completing a rigorous training like dentistry, and still not reaching the full potential of the profession at a young age. The dentists I admire the most are all over 60 years of age, for their wisdom as people and professionals of the field, clinically and experience. Not to mention the financial burden. If I planned on quitting dentistry in my 30's, I would not go to school for it to begin with.

My 2'cents.

Reactions: 3 users
You can marry more money in 10 minutes then you can make in a lifetime.

kim-kardashian-style-out-in-paris-september-2014_1.jpg