Tips on working during post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snipza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many out there have worked full time during a post bacc.

If you have, could you please share your hours at work, hours at school, and what you did to maintain performance at both school and in the workplace?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked anywhere from 16-32 hours a week and took 12-16 credit hours a semester. My best advice is not to let work become your priority. I made this mistake and my grades did suffer. Just let your employer know up front that school comes first, no matter what!

Last edited:
I'm a high school English teacher, and I work 40+ hours a week with 8 credit hours (2 science classes per term). I work my ass off (grade papers during planning period at work and on Friday evenings) and I study Saturday, Sunday, and on Monday evenings when I'm not in class. My grades are decent (minus my C in Physics) but I've pulled off A/A- grades in my sciences and math courses. I also co-advise our school's healthcare committee and advise yearbook. It's always a busy day for me.

If I had the opportunity to take three classes a semester, I'd do it. The classes I need are always offered during my work hours. I just take three during the summer term to keep my workload rigorous.

Balance is key. It can be done!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Very impressive. +sadmanthedentist

If I get into the post-bacc I'm applying too, I should be able to work during the daytime hours since the cohort classes are scheduled typically after 5 PM. I still will not be working 40 hours, though.

I'm thinking more like 25-30 hours at most so I have a few hours before classes start to study/review/cram. I hate my job right now, but I think I will be forced to keep it until school rolls around since it pays so well (to me at least. lol). I'd like to pay off some debt just in case I have to accept a lower paying job down the line for more schedule flexibility.

Thank you for your responses. I will be a full time student the whole way and want to allocate enough time to 1) do my best and receive the best grades I can and 2) still be able to work enough to pay rent/bill/necessities.

I work as a computer programmer about 42.5 hours a week and take 8 credits a semester. I only finished one semester so far but I did it by pretty much focusing on school/studying when I wasn't at work. I did have some time for fun but my social life was definitely put on the back burner.

Wow. Very impressive. +sadmanthedentist

If I get into the post-bacc I'm applying too, I should be able to work during the daytime hours since the cohort classes are scheduled typically after 5 PM. I still will not be working 40 hours, though.

I'm thinking more like 25-30 hours at most so I have a few hours before classes start to study/review/cram. I hate my job right now, but I think I will be forced to keep it until school rolls around since it pays so well (to me at least. lol). I'd like to pay off some debt just in case I have to accept a lower paying job down the line for more schedule flexibility.

Thank you for your responses. I will be a full time student the whole way and want to allocate enough time to 1) do my best and receive the best grades I can and 2) still be able to work enough to pay rent/bill/necessities.

Another tip is, if possible, try and only work half days on the days you do have class. If you can't do this, see if you can take exam days off of work. Having those extra few hours to study can really help.