Tips to staying focused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bathrover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some things that you do or use to stay focused besides the usual (coffee, red bull, tea, etc)?

(For example, when I study at night I turn off all the lights except a desk lamp to help me stay focused on what is in front of me. Sometimes I like to have a stress ball or play dough to work with when I am thinking, although I am considering switching to a rubber band which is less messy.)

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest thing that helps me stay focused is making time for the things and people I care about, so that when it's study time I don't feel like I'm missing out on life and can thus maintain my focus. It also helps to remind me why the hell I'm doing this in the first place and that there's a world outside of the med school madness. The less often I see my gf/friends, the worse my study habits seem to be.

Reactions: 6 users
I like to use a white noise background. Listening to music is too distracting, and background noises in the library/my apartment are distracting as well. Here's the website I use: http://rain.simplynoise.com/

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds stupid, but if you're home studying try and be fully dressed (pants, socks, shoes). I feel like chilling in your room on the computer in sweat pants is an otherwise great way to fall asleep.

Sometimes, I'll wear a hooded sweatshirt when I study. It sounds kind of weird, but it helps me stay focused when I pull the hood on. Probably has to do with restricted peripheral vision.

Alternatively, you could try one of these. Lol.

38996-computer_privacy_protecting_sweater.jpg

Reactions: 18 users
Sounds stupid, but if you're home studying try and be fully dressed (pants, socks, shoes). I feel like chilling in your room on the computer in sweat pants is an otherwise great way to fall asleep.

Also, he can study in his white coat. You can't get wrinkles on it so he will study in a chair and not sleep.

I keep a 2-3 hour block in the evening where I don't study. I just zone out, watch TV, play with the cat, hand with the wife, whatever. Anything except study. It's pretty much what I'll do all winter break.

Experiment with music that works for you (anything with lyrics will be distracting but I find instrumental rock/metal to be easier to focus with than classical music). Don't study in your bedroom. Study in a place with good ambient light/natural light. Don't study in the same spot for hours. Mix up study modalities. Try drawing out different things you learn.

Sit down / Stand up desk.
Find one of these for cheap on Craigslist, put a new top on it (Ikea, etc.) et voila.
Hamilton VR-20

maxresdefault.jpg

It's operated by electric foot peddle and has a huge actuator inside that could lift a car.

What are some things that you do or use to stay focused besides the usual (coffee, red bull, tea, etc)?

(For example, when I study at night I turn off all the lights except a desk lamp to help me stay focused on what is in front of me. Sometimes I like to have a stress ball or play dough to work with when I am thinking, although I am considering switching to a rubber band which is less messy.)

I use cold turkey to kill all websites and programs that usually distract me.

+1 to the hooded sweater and music w/o lyrics ideas (I use electronic music, drum n bass specifically)