**TMDSAS 2015**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have not received a letter or email for a waitlist for baylor. Does that mean I am rejected and how many people are on that list? And does anyone know if they are finished sending acceptances? Thank you everyone
I didn't receive a letter or email either. Is everyone who is not accepted not automatically put on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who heard good news from UTSD in February, CONGRATS!
When is the deadline to pay your deposit? I figure they won't send out another round of acceptances before that, so until then I can quit dropping everything each time I get an email haha
I'm in the same boat as you. Just checking emails constantly and hoping for UTSD! Everything about the school is great! May I ask what your stats are? and also @s2mySerendipity 's stats?

I've been set on Houston since interview day back in October, but when I interviewed at Tufts, (with only 1 acceptance - Baylor at that time) someone there told me to go to Baylor and laughed in my face when I said Houston was my dream because he knew faculty of Texas dental schools. Day of Houston acceptance, out of no where, I got spam of texts from someone telling me to go to Baylor/SA, not Houston, and this person wasn't aware of my Houston acceptance yet.

Other people in my life say Baylor, so I'm currently really conflicted and don't want to make the wrong choice.

Well, that is pretty creepy about the spams of texts. Here is my opinion of the school really.

All my friends are at Baylor or attending Baylor because any student coming out are known to be the best clinician in Texas. Their clinical requirements are also more than double than most schools in the United States, but not sure about in Texas.

As for Houston, they have the new facility and program. With this new program, it will make us a competent dentist. In fact, if you research about vertical integrated system, you will see how effective it is for medical schools.

Overall, whatever decision you make, just know that both dental schools will prepare you for the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, that is pretty creepy about the spams of texts. Here is my opinion of the school really.

All my friends are at Baylor or attending Baylor because any student coming out are known to be the best clinician in Texas. Their clinical requirements are also more than double than most schools in the United States, but not sure about in Texas.

As for Houston, they have the new facility and program. With this new program, it will make us a competent dentist. In fact, if you research about vertical integrated system, you will see how effective it is for medical schools.

Overall, whatever decision you make, just know that both dental schools will prepare you for the best!

What is this new curriculum I keep hearing that Houston now has?

I have not received a letter or email for a waitlist for baylor. Does that mean I am rejected and how many people are on that list? And does anyone know if they are finished sending acceptances? Thank you everyone
I emailed Baylor, they said their class for 2015 is full now and they already sent their first alternative list last week. The second list will be sent if needed.

@shays @Lombardiman @BabyShades

The best clinicians thing that everyone says about Baylor is throwing me off. My mentors/dentists I shadowed strongly are pro-Baylor, but they are Baylor alums... But thanks guys, reading your comments made me feel a lot more confident about my decision! I was going to wait for SB to talk to other people, but I think I'm going to email Mrs. Pledger right now to withdraw :). Everything about Houston I'm in love with! Vertical integrated learning most definitely, to the niceness and genuine feel of the faculty, and even how there's no real cafeteria at the school to encourage students to bring their own meals to save money! <3 People fear of Houston's change, but I'm so excited - esp. to see if they're get rid of the cadavers and things. One downside is the weather of course.

Stats - I think oGPA is 3.81 and sGPA is 3.83, 21 TS 21AA (Low - 20's for RC/GC, Highest is 23 BIO). I forgot how to do stats :).

// I hope someone on SDN is the next person on Baylor's waitlist! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone talked to SA recently and found out if full?

Are any people rejecting their seats on Baylor to go anywhere else? Just trying to get an idea about the waitlist

Ahoys, my interview at UTSD was in October and I've been trying to wait patiently to hear something. Does anyone know when they send out the waitlist or the rejection? Does anyone know if they have all the spots filled yet? last time i checked the facebook page there was about 160members for class of 2019 group. Does anyone know when students started to hear things in the past?

I think they are going to give out last spots probably in the next few days... If the class is not already full... Which it may be.

Oh, why do you say it is next few days? I am guessing it will be as well. Because they give out acceptances every three weeks, but I do know that few people were accepted last week. So I am not sure if the class is full or not!!

I don't know I'm just guessing... They Facebook group already has 160+ members... So the class may be full already
I saw that facebook group, too. A lot of those people are current UTSD students though. Also, I went to their predent day last year and I got assigned a mentor who is the D1 or D2 class president and he said he didn't get accepted until March..

Members don't see this ad :)
So the person that got my Baylor spot is actually my friend, and it's her #1! It seems like they send out to the wait listers super quick if people drop. (She might be dropping Houston soon.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So the person that got my Baylor spot is actually my friend, and it's her #1! It seems like they send out to the wait listers super quick if people drop. (She might be dropping Houston soon.)
That's awesome! Did you friend also receive a waitlist letter from baylor? and How did you know it was your spot?! Thanks

That's awesome! Did you friend also receive a waitlist letter from baylor? and How did you know it was your spot?! Thanks
She did get a letter!

Speculations, since I dropped 2 days ago and she got it. We were assuming it would go to another Asian girl too.

Accepted to UTHSCSA! Email sent at 12 AM today!

Does anyone know if the alternate list sent by Baylor in late feb is the first wait list? Are wait list and alternate list the same?

Dude, I see your posts everywhere. Just email pledger and ask her.

Yes the one that got sent on late February is the first one. Anything after that is the second one.

Has a second alternate list for BCD been sent out already?

According to the BCD interview/acceptance thread, they sent out another batch of alternate letters 10 days ago, the Friday before they went for Spring Break.

According to the BCD interview/acceptance thread, they sent out another batch of alternate letters 10 days ago, the Friday before they went for Spring Break.
I don't know if that's accurate. Why would they send a second round alternate list if there isn't much movement from the first alternate list?

I don't know if that's accurate. Why would they send a second round alternate list if there isn't much movement from the first alternate list?

They send it out so that people won't always call in to check their status.

Well, I emailed Mrs. Pledger at Baylor. She said there has been no movement on the alternate list, yet there are people here who said they received acceptances after being put on the alternate list...

If you have a chance, choose Baylor. Trust me, unless you feel comfortable paying for your patient's treatment in the hopes of graduating,
or feel comfortable arguing between classmates for crowns/removable,
or feel comfortable with a 60 % cancellation rate,
go to Baylor!

Reactions: 1 user
If you have a chance, choose Baylor. Trust me, unless you feel comfortable paying for your patient's treatment in the hopes of graduating,
or feel comfortable arguing between classmates for crowns/removable,
or feel comfortable with a 60 % cancellation rate,
go to Baylor!

Pretty sure all Texas schools are just as great.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure all Texas schools are just as great.
That's what I thought 4 years ago as well....I got into all 3 texas schools, so pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Ask a 4th year at Baylor how many crowns they have cut, and if they have had to pay for any of their patients' work....compare that to the other schools....there lies your answer...

That's what I thought 4 years ago as well....I got into all 3 texas schools, so pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Ask a 4th year at Baylor how many crowns they have cut, and if they have had to pay for any of their patients' work....compare that to the other schools....there lies your answer...

Yes, I do agree that Baylor is a really good school. No doubt about that. In the end, the whole paying for your patient's treatment is ridiculous. The tuition is still going be really similar regardless even if you do have to pay.

After 2 or 3 years of graduating from any dental school in Texas, it all depends on what you learn within those 2-3 years. Maybe Baylor dental students may have it good for first year after coming out, but after several years.. It doesn't matter anymore.

And believe me, you learn a lot more when you are out there working than at school.

I honestly disagree. Look, if you leave 3rd year of dental school, and have barely prepared 2 crowns, do you think that pattern changes once you hit 4th year? I have friends at Baylor and their clinic system is run so efficiently, therefore providing the students tons of experience. Most schools simply have a secretary assigning you patients, regardless of whether they are reliable, have any money, etc. Baylor has 2 secretaries-one who schedules, and one who handles the money. When patients are financially invested, they are much less likely to cancel. When an official from the school handles the scheduling and cancellations, patients are much less likely to cancel and waste the students' time.
If you want to treatment plan 15 patients, waste a ton of clinic time, and have 2 patients actually be able to afford the proposed treatment, and reliably show up for you to get the experience you need..then sure, go wherever.
But when your graduation and progress depends on these unreliable patients, you will be singing another tune...

And believe me, you learn a lot more when you are out there working than at school.
This may be true, but you also have to graduate first.... When the students have issues finding enough patients to even fulfill "requirements", there is a problem...

Well, I emailed Mrs. Pledger at Baylor. She said there has been no movement on the alternate list, yet there are people here who said they received acceptances after being put on the alternate list...
When did you ask?
If you asked about whether there was any movement these PAST TWO WEEKS, then That's probably true that there isn't. But before than though, there was already movements, according to the posts here and also what Ms. Pledger told me in an emaill..

When did you ask?
If you asked about whether there was any movement these PAST TWO WEEKS, then That's probably true that there isn't. But before than though, there was already movements, according to the posts here and also what Ms. Pledger told me in an emaill..
I asked a couple days ago. I asked if there was any movement off the alternate list in general.

I honestly disagree. Look, if you leave 3rd year of dental school, and have barely prepared 2 crowns, do you think that pattern changes once you hit 4th year? I have friends at Baylor and their clinic system is run so efficiently, therefore providing the students tons of experience. Most schools simply have a secretary assigning you patients, regardless of whether they are reliable, have any money, etc. Baylor has 2 secretaries-one who schedules, and one who handles the money. When patients are financially invested, they are much less likely to cancel. When an official from the school handles the scheduling and cancellations, patients are much less likely to cancel and waste the students' time.
If you want to treatment plan 15 patients, waste a ton of clinic time, and have 2 patients actually be able to afford the proposed treatment, and reliably show up for you to get the experience you need..then sure, go wherever.
But when your graduation and progress depends on these unreliable patients, you will be singing another tune...

I have to ask, but you can also PM me if you do not want to disclose it. What school are you attending to right now? And in your opinion, how would you rank the Texas schools? For example, a ranking for California schools can be something like this:

UCSF > UCLA >>>>>>>> Loma Linda > Western

Got an acceptance e-mail from UTHSCSA today but will be declining.

I have to ask, but you can also PM me if you do not want to disclose it. What school are you attending to right now? And in your opinion, how would you rank the Texas schools? For example, a ranking for California schools can be something like this:

UCSF > UCLA >>>>>>>> Loma Linda > Western

. You really have to look at it from a location, patient pool and experience perspective. How are patients assigned to students? What are the repercussions to the patients if they cancel 10 minutes before their appointments ?What happens if patients cant afford treatment? Is there a discount program for certain patients who qualify?
For all students to have an equal chance of success there have to be enough patients within the pool that value what the school has to offer. Usually, that means that the cost of treatment at a school has to be able to compete with that of insurance and private practice. Case in point, all too familiar scenario in clinic:
Patient A gets assigned to dental student.
Dental student calls patient A for assessment/tx planning appointment
Patient A finally sees the cost of the tx plan based on what she needs as decided by student/faculty
Patient A complains to student that the prices are simply too high, and will rather be treated by a private dentist, since she has insurance, and it costs about the same anyway...

Imagine the above scenario happening about 5-6 times per semester. This is how time gets wasted. It does not matter that you just spent 2 appointments on Patient A. All that matters to her is that "she can't afford it", "she has insurance". And the student is back to square 1. If I had a dollar for everytime a patient has told me "I cant afford xyz.."

I think a big part of one;s success in these programs is being able to bring in your own patients. As annoyed as I am at the way things have unfolded, I would be in a much worse situation if I hadnt brought in my family, church folk, etc. I've brought in pedo patients, perio patients, denture/crown patients, etc. I don't know how people who don't have family in the area make clinic work tbh. Some students get lucky sure, but I also know a few of my friends who are really behind, because they simply never got assigned what they needed to graduate...

Keep in mind that some of these schools are raising tuition by 10k and increased the class size by 20 students...yup.

I may be misunderstanding this info. but, "After April 5, ADEA AADSAS reports to each institution the names of candidates for its entering class who hold acceptance(s) at additional institutions. A dental school may rescind an offer of admission to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions."
- So, if I already have an acceptance (OOS-deposit paid), my question is; Would schools that I interviewed at see this? & Ultimately, decided NOT to grant me an acceptance due to the fact that they've seen that I paid a deposit at another school??

Thanks

I may be misunderstanding this info. but, "After April 5, ADEA AADSAS reports to each institution the names of candidates for its entering class who hold acceptance(s) at additional institutions. A dental school may rescind an offer of admission to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions."
- So, if I already have an acceptance (OOS-deposit paid), my question is; Would schools that I interviewed at see this? & Ultimately, decided NOT to grant me an acceptance due to the fact that they've seen that I paid a deposit at another school??

Thanks

It means if you have placed multiple deposits, they retain the right to rescind an offer. In your case, you only have one deposit down, so they would still send you an offer if they saw you as fit. They would know that you hold a seat at another school though.

Has anyone received an acceptance or wait list info from UTSD lately?
Dr. Galindo (Director of Recruitment and Admissions) emailed me on 4/14 and said "We are getting real close to filling our entering class for 2015 and establishing our alternate list in the next coming weeks. The Office of Student Affairs will notify you via email immediately if your application is to go through a status change." Yikes.

Dr. Galindo (Director of Recruitment and Admissions) emailed me on 4/14 and said "We are getting real close to filling our entering class for 2015 and establishing our alternate list in the next coming weeks. The Office of Student Affairs will notify you via email immediately if your application is to go through a status change." Yikes.

Did you emailed her earlier about your status or did you just randomly sent that to you ?

Did you emailed her earlier about your status or did you just randomly sent that to you ?
Yup, got the same bs here. I am pretty sure their class has already filled, but for some sympathetic reasons they are reluctant to tell anyone who call/email.