*~*~*TMDSAS 2017*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTraDentalStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we go...dare I say it? TMDSAS opens at 8 am this Monday for 2017! :soexcited:

Feel free to ask questions, share anxieties and reassurances, and post interview invites and/or acceptances if you'd like!

I snagged this great bit from @EasTexan's TMDSAS 2016 thread for sharing interview info:

School:
Notification date:
Interview date:
Method of notification:
TMDSAS mail-out date:
Application received date/s:
GPA (bcpm, overall):
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17):

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Yay!! I am so nervous and excited at the same time...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck guys! I hope to see yall at Baylor during interview season!

Reactions: 9 users
Ya'll some lucky (enter offensive word)'s .

Jokes

May the odds be ever in your favor!

Reactions: 3 users
If I am a non Texas resident, would I have a better chance applying through TMDSAS or AADSAS?

I've been lurking around on the past threads (2015 & 2016) and I am extremely excited to finally join a thread with potential classmates for the class of 2017!!! :D

Reactions: 4 users
Reapplicant here! I hope this cycle will bring me better luck than last years! :)

Best of luck to everyone, newbies and reapplicants alike!

First time applicant here, checking in. I would be absolutely ECSTATIC just to get a single acceptance from a TX school this cycle! Good luck to everyone who's applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am a non Texas resident, would I have a better chance applying through TMDSAS or AADSAS?

I'm not sure if it would help, but it doesn't look like it would hurt anything to apply through TMDSAS from OOS. The only mention I saw of it was on TMDSAS's Dental Application Instructions page:

"Texas residents must apply through TMDSAS. Non-residents may apply through either the American Association of Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) or TMDSAS."

...although honestly I didn't look for very long. You may want to contact the schools individually to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Where else are y'all applying if I may ask?

I'll plan to apply to a handful of schools that offer in-state tuition after the 1st year & a couple of schools in other locations where I'd be happy living for a while. Maybe even UoP. I'm a bit older than the average applicant & I certainly wouldn't mind a shorter program to get practicing sooner, even if it does come with a hefty price tag. My list is still fluctuating a bit really, but ideally I'll end up in TX...fingers crossed!

Good luck guys! I hope to see yall at Baylor during interview season!

Hey! Any chance you saw a tour of gawking pre-dents at Baylor on Monday, April 11th? 'Cause I was totally one of them :hello:

I'll plan to apply to a handful of schools that offer in-state tuition after the 1st year & a couple of schools in other locations where I'd be happy living for a while. Maybe even UoP. I'm a bit older than the average applicant & I certainly wouldn't mind a shorter program to get practicing sooner, even if it does come with a hefty price tag. My list is still fluctuating a bit really, but ideally I'll end up in TX...fingers crossed!

I understand! I'm not sure about private schools for me though... would it be ignorant of me to say that having debt of 400-500k + interest isn't worth it for private schools?

I understand! I'm not sure about private schools for me though... would it be ignorant of me to say that having debt of 400-500k + interest isn't worth it for private schools?

Yeah, that was my thought initially & I'm still very much on the fence about it. An Endo I shadowed said he has friends that went there & they loved it. He acted like the debt was very manageable, especially with an extra year of practice. Taking all that on still makes me uncomfortable.

Surely we'll be swept up by Texas schools asap though & never have to worry about it! ...surely...:shrug:

Last edited:
Where else are y'all applying if I may ask?

I'm applying to a few out-of-state schools that have cheaper tuition (Louisville, etc.) as well as some super-expensive privates (NYU, Western, Tufts, etc.).

I personally don't think dental school is worth 500k+ in loans. If I don't receive an acceptance from a TX school, I'm looking at doing the HPSP program to reduce the enormous cost of attendance of going to a private school.

Yeah, that was my thought initially & I'm still very much on the fence about it. An Endo I shadowed said he has friends that went there & they loved it. He acted like the debt was very manageable, especially with an extra year of practice. Taking all that on still makes me uncomfortable.

Surely we'll be swept up by Texas schools asap though & never have to worry about it! ...surely...:shrug:

Very true but we must keep in mind that the debt wasn't as high back then as it is now right? Assuming he/she is part of the baby boomer generation?

I'm applying to a few out-of-state schools that have cheaper tuition (Louisville, etc.) as well as some super-expensive privates (NYU, Western, Tufts, etc.).

I personally don't think dental school is worth 500k+ in loans. If I don't receive an acceptance from a TX school, I'm looking at doing the HPSP program to reduce the enormous cost of attendance of going to a private school.

Isn't the HPSP program very competitive?

Very true but we must keep in mind that the debt wasn't as high back then as it is now right? Assuming he/she is part of the baby boomer generation?

Actually, I would guess he's mid-thirties, so it wouldn't have been too terribly long ago.

Isn't the HPSP program very competitive?
So I hear I'm taking other options into consideration, such as the Health Service Corps (though that's probably even more competitive) and working at a community clinic in an underserved location after graduation (govt. pays up to $25k of your student loans/yr).

But at the end of the day, nothing beats in state tuition at a Texas school. Which is why I'm praying for an acceptance

Reactions: 1 users
So I hear I'm taking other options into consideration, such as the Health Service Corps (though that's probably even more competitive) and working at a community clinic in an underserved location after graduation (govt. pays up to $25k of your student loans/yr).

But at the end of the day, nothing beats in state tuition at a Texas school. Which is why I'm praying for an acceptance

I see. Same here my friend.
Let's buckle up!!

I wish the best of luck to everyone applying this cycle. You guys have a long journey ahead!

Friendly reminder, be extra prepared for your Baylor interview. If your interview is in the morning, you will be interviewed before having a tour or learning anything about the school. Figure out how you want to answer "why Baylor" before your interview, and make sure your answer is convincing. Not sure how it works for afternoon interviews.

For both Houston and SA interviews, you will be given an introduction about the school and tour before being interviewed.

Reactions: 6 users
Friendly reminder, be extra prepared for your Baylor interview. If your interview is in the morning, you will be interviewed before having a tour or learning anything about the school. Figure out how you want to answer "why Baylor" before your interview, and make sure your answer is convincing. Not sure how it works for afternoon interviews.

For both Houston and SA interviews, you will be given an introduction about the school and tour before being interviewed.

Thanks for the info!

Haha been waiting for someone to start this thread. Can't believe it's finally happening! Goodluck to everyone and may the cycle be in your favor ;)

Is everyone applying to all the Texas schools?

Not even 24 hours since the application opened and I'm ready to fast forward my life by 1 year lol

@EasTexan it feels like just yesterday you were starting last years thread... Oh how time flies.

Reactions: 1 users
lmao! I haven't started yet ;)
But i'm sure i'll see some of yall in the coming months.
I can't wait to be on the other side peering at the interviewees. It'll be really cool to see all the applicants that come through the doors.

My TMDSAS account has been deactivated. The last time I applied was in 2013 lol

Is it normal for them to ask reapplicants about the demographics section? I thought everything was already saved?

Low key wanna know how everyone's stats look like ... But I'm not gonna be thaaatt person on SDN... Atleast not the first :laugh:

Low key wanna know how everyone's stats look like ... But I'm not gonna be thaaatt person on SDN... Atleast not the first :laugh:

Just the usual on SDN, my friend.
- 4.0GPA
- 30AA/30TS/30PAT
- 10,000 shadowing hours
- 20,000 volunteer hours
- Olympic gold medalist 4X, Olympic bronze medalist 1X (Can't win em all)
- Currently learning how to write with left foot

Reactions: 19 users
- 4.0GPA
- 30AA/30TS/30PAT
- 10,000 shadowing hours
- 20,000 volunteer hours
Good stats...but considering that you haven't gone on a mission trip to save the world, I would still apply early. Just in case.

Reactions: 10 users
- 4.0GPA
- 30AA/30TS/30PAT
- 10,000 shadowing hours
- 20,000 volunteer hours
Since you did not come up with Feralis note or DAT Bootcamp that sort of stuff, I say your chance is very low..

Reactions: 6 users
Would my chances increase if I learned how to write with both feet?

Would my chances increase if I learned how to write with both feet?
I guess. But maybe you have to do it simultaneously though...
Also, they may ask how is that related to dental field? Are you planning to operate on patient with your feet? Bla bla. Just be ready!
Just saying.

I guess. But maybe you have to do it simultaneously though...
Also, they may ask how is that related to dental field? Are you planning to operate on patient with your feet? Bla bla. Just be ready!
Just saying.

I appreciate the advice buddy!!!! :laugh:

*posted in the wrong forum* :)

Last edited: