*~*~*TMDSAS 2017*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can't, TMDSAS status does not change on the portal after interview invites or anything. You'd have to check with the dental school. I would call them on Monday and tell them to take note of your email change.
Thank you very much! So, TMDSAS would not update my email change information with the schools I applied? And I have to personally call each school for that?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you very much! So, TMDSAS would not update my email change information with the schools I applied? And I have to personally call each school for that?
When I interviewed, they printed out my application from TMDSAS already. So they may or may not have the most recently updated file physically printed. I would just call them up to tell them of the update after changing it on TMDSAS and check on your application while you're at it.

Reactions: 1 user
I was messaged here on SDN in regards to shadowing a student. I'll post my reply below:
"If you want to increase your chances of getting in to UTSD, I highly suggest e-mailing Dr. Galindo to set-up a day to shadow/mentor a student. You pretty much just follow them around all day going to their classes, etc... You need to dress business professional. Just let me know what days work best for you and I'll let you know if it's a good day to shadow, some days we aren't in classes and you won't be able to shadow us (since we'll be in clinic) or there isn't much to shadow that day (Thursdays are not a good day to shadow)."

Again, shadowing a student will help ADCOMS recognize your face and show that you're interested. Not sure if A&M or UTHSCSA allow this but UTSD does. If you're interested, just shoot me a message. If you're interested in shadowing me, you'll have to use my name as the mentor. You can also opt to shadow any other random student as well. Note: you will not be able to shadow in clinic... only classes. Also, I don't suggest this if you aren't in the surrounding Houston area (this isn't something you should book a flight/drive out for)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was messaged here on SDN in regards to shadowing a student. I'll post my reply below:
"If you want to increase your chances of getting in to UTSD, I highly suggest e-mailing Dr. Galindo to set-up a day to shadow/mentor a student. You pretty much just follow them around all day going to their classes, etc... You need to dress business professional. Just let me know what days work best for you and I'll let you know if it's a good day to shadow, some days we aren't in classes and you won't be able to shadow us (since we'll be in clinic) or there isn't much to shadow that day (Thursdays are not a good day to shadow)."

Again, shadowing a student will help ADCOMS recognize your face and show that you're interested. Not sure if A&M or UTHSCSA allow this but UTSD does. If you're interested, just shoot me a message. If you're interested in shadowing me, you'll have to use my name as the mentor. You can also opt to shadow any other random student as well. Note: you will not be able to shadow in clinic... only classes. Also, I don't suggest this if you aren't in the surrounding Houston area (this isn't something you should book a flight/drive out for)
Hey! Prior to doing research there I shadowed a D1 like you said... but Im pretty sure I remember Dr. Galindo saying those that are applicants for current cycle can't do that!

Hey! Prior to doing research there I shadowed a D1 like you said... but Im pretty sure I remember Dr. Galindo saying those that are applicants for current cycle can't do that!
We've had one at least every week shadow, all were applicants; I even shadowed as an applicant. She may have changed it fairly recently but I would just e-mail her to make sure.

We've had one at least every week shadow, all were applicants; I even shadowed as an applicant. She may have changed it fairly recently but I would just e-mail her to make sure.
Yeah this girl I did research with said she didn't let her cause she's an applicant. Luckily I did it last year but idk how it is now

Someone might have posted about this and I could have missed it, but does anyone have any tips/advice for interviewing at UTHSC-SA? I have an interview in Nov. and I haven't found much about how they typically interview/ questions they used in the past.

Reactions: 1 users
Any OOSers get interviews recently?

Does anyone know the average acceptance rate for the 3 TX schools after you get an interview? I've heard anywhere from 30% to about 60-70% acceptance rate post interview. I've gotten interviews at Baylor and SA but I'm getting nervous about Houston so I want to see if I should start taking my eggs out of my basket and warming them up for next cycle (lol random metaphor but it works I guess).

Does anyone know the average acceptance rate for the 3 TX schools after you get an interview? I've heard anywhere from 30% to about 60-70% acceptance rate post interview. I've gotten interviews at Baylor and SA but I'm getting nervous about Houston so I want to see if I should start taking my eggs out of my basket and warming them up for next cycle (lol random metaphor but it works I guess).

Attachments

• Guide Section 1N pages 1-33 Mod 6-12-15 - Copy.doc
    1 MB · Views: 114
  • Guide Section 2N pages 34-48 6-13-15.doc
    814.5 KB · Views: 79
Someone might have posted about this and I could have missed it, but does anyone have any tips/advice for interviewing at UTHSC-SA? I have an interview in Nov. and I haven't found much about how they typically interview/ questions they used in the past.

I actually really enjoyed the UTHSCSA interview. Throughout the morning, faculty members spoke about the school, student life, the facilities, and a little about tuition. This is when they are basically selling the school to us, since the interview goes both ways. I already knew most of this, but still found the presentations interesting. They want US to choose THEM almost as much as we want them to choose us. Lunch was provided (Jason's Deli, if I remember correctly), and several D3s joined us & answered any questions we had for them about their experience. After lunch, each applicant had 2 consecutive interviews (both one-on-one), one with a faculty member & then one with a D3 student. There were no tricks or surprises, just your basic interview questions that've been listed on sdn a million times. The interviewers won't have access to your application, but they will have read your personal statement. Both of my interviews were more conversation than interrogation, and I never felt like I was being grilled. After the interviews, we regrouped, got a tour of the clinic then the academic building, then parted ways around 3:30. Questions were welcome and encouraged throughout the day. Just relax and be your awesome self. If you made it to the interview, you already have what they're looking for. They're just trying to get to know you as a person to see how you would fit in at their school.

I actually really enjoyed the UTHSCSA interview. Throughout the morning, faculty members spoke about the school, student life, the facilities, and a little about tuition. This is when they are basically selling the school to us, since the interview goes both ways. I already knew most of this, but still found the presentations interesting. They want US to choose THEM almost as much as we want them to choose us. Lunch was provided (Jason's Deli, if I remember correctly), and several D3s joined us & answered any questions we had for them about their experience. After lunch, each applicant had 2 consecutive interviews (both one-on-one), one with a faculty member & then one with a D3 student. There were no tricks or surprises, just your basic interview questions that've been listed on sdn a million times. The interviewers won't have access to your application, but they will have read your personal statement. Both of my interviews were more conversation than interrogation, and I never felt like I was being grilled. After the interviews, we regrouped, got a tour of the clinic then the academic building, then parted ways around 3:30. Questions were welcome and encouraged throughout the day. Just relax and be your awesome self. If you made it to the interview, you already have what they're looking for. They're just trying to get to know you as a person to see how you would fit in at their school.

UTHSCSA's interview is very relaxed and casual. The student and faculty interviewers are not there to trick you and really are just trying to gauge whether you will be a good fit for the program (I have been an interviewer for the past 2 years). I completely agree that the interview is as much about having applicants choose UTHSCSA; this is what I tell everyone that asks me about interviewing here. So as difficult as it may seem, just relax and enjoy the interview experience!

Reactions: 2 users

We're in the same boat, UTSD is the only school I'm still waiting for, too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

This is weird, but I actually finished my interviews at Baylor and Houston, both in September, and I still haven't heard back from SA.

Do the Texas schools eventually give rejections? If so, around what time?

I'm not too sure, but would think around after January when the interview process is done. Correct me if I'm wrong...

It's crazy to think about who gets the very last spot in every class

If you don't get an interview by their last interview date then around the end of January or sometime in February. If you do get an interview by their last interview date then around April/May.

If you don't get an interview by their last interview date then around the end of January or sometime in February. If you do get an interview by their last interview date then around April/May.
And if you've had a pre dec interview but aren't accepted on the 1st, do they tell you you're on the wait list or something?

I'm sure I got the very very very very last spot of UTSD class

And if you've had a pre dec interview but aren't accepted on the 1st, do they tell you you're on the wait list or something?
They dont tell you waitlist or anything until like April or May, when the class is full

4th!
School: San Antonio

Notified: 8/11/16 by email

Residency: TX

Interview Date: Monday August 29th

GPA: BCP 3.25, oGPA 3.37

DAT: 20AA/22RC/21PAT

Super excited!!!

This is super late but i just found this thread haha. When did you send in everything?

This is super late but i just found this thread haha. When did you send in everything?

Sent everything in by the first week in June, and my dat was processed at the end of the month I think

Anyone submitted their app August/September and heard back from Texas schools yet? Seems like the majority are still July.

Anyone submitted their app August/September and heard back from Texas schools yet? Seems like the majority are still July.

I submitted mid-September, and just interviewed at TAMU last week. Haven't heard from UTSD or UTHSCSA yet.

I submitted mid-September, and just interviewed at TAMU last week. Haven't heard from UTSD or UTHSCSA yet.
Dang, you got your interview invite like 2 weeks after submitting. How did the interview go?

1st interview!!!!!
School: A&M
Notified: 10/31/16 by email
Interview Date: Dec 9th!!
GPA: Science: 3.56, overall undergrad: 3.71, current grad gpa: 4.0
DAT: 20AA/23RC/21PAT/19Sci (16Chem,20Bio,21OChem)/19 QR
I submitted in may, but retook my DAT in july and scores were sent out in mid-august.

So excited!!! I attend the UNT HSC in fort worth and i know that Texas schools like to offer later interviews for people in grad school so they can see how you handle the curriculum!

Reactions: 11 users
1st interview!!!!!
School: A&M
Notified: 10/31/16 by email
Interview Date: Dec 9th!!
GPA: Science: 3.56, overall undergrad: 3.71, current grad gpa: 4.0
DAT: 20AA/23RC/21PAT/19Sci (16Chem,20Bio,21OChem)/19 QR
I submitted in may, but retook my DAT in july and scores were sent out in mid-august.

So excited!!! I attend the UNT HSC in fort worth and i know that Texas schools like to offer later interviews for people in grad school so they can see how you handle the curriculum!

Congrats!! But that's good to know! I'm finishing up my masters this Dec and waiting for a TX interview like :eek:

Interview #1: A&M!!
Notification date: 10/31
Interview Date: 12/9
GPA: overall: 3.25 science: 3.25
UTD CBioMed Post-Bacc GPA: 3.65
DAT 1: 19/20/20
DAT 2: 20/21/22 (ochem: 25 :eek: RC: 16:bang: )

App was submitted in late-June but some supplemental materials were not sent off until mid-August.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Got an email with the subject line "Texas A&M College of Dentistry 2017" today... turns out it was from our undergrad professional school advisor alerting us about a summer enrichment program A&M is doing..... seriously??? Doesn't she realize we're all waiting on the edge of our seats to hear back from admissions.... :dead:

Reactions: 5 users
Got an email with the subject line "Texas A&M College of Dentistry 2017" today... turns out it was from our undergrad professional school advisor alerting us about a summer enrichment program A&M is doing..... seriously??? Doesn't she realize we're all waiting on the edge of our seats to hear back from admissions.... :dead:

I got an email from UTSD last Friday wishing me a safe Halloween and recommend me the type of candy that should eat that do less damage for my teeth.. like seriously ! I'm almost passed out when I saw it was from UT !!

Reactions: 5 users
I got an email from UTSD last Friday wishing me a safe Halloween and recommend me the type of candy that should eat that do less damage for my teeth.. like seriously ! I'm almost passed out when I saw it was from UT !!

It's honestly probably an office joke to mess with uneasy applicants lol. Just cruel i tell ya

:laugh:

For everyone who has interviewed, how did you feel like you did? Where do you feel like you'll be accepted, and white your front runner? (Answer however you'd like I'm just bored)

For everyone who has interviewed, how did you feel like you did? Where do you feel like you'll be accepted, and white your front runner? (Answer however you'd like I'm just bored)

Can you start us off? Just curious

Can you start us off? Just curious

Sure!

Well personally, I was super impressed by San Antonio's campus, Ive been to San Antonio before but never near where the school is, I like how it's isolated and surrounded by all if the green. The facilities themselves are great as well, the old ones and new. I liked the interaction between the other schools as well. The faculty I interviewed with here was by far my favorite of the bunch, and I feel as if this was my best interview.

Houston was also impressive, i like how the same building is used by all four years and their gear was nice. the interview went well but I personally think it's a little too long to be one on one for.

Texas am was interesting because it have a different feel from the other schools. I think this was my worst interview, but I still think it went alright. I tripped up on my interview a bit with Dr. Lacy I think, but dr. nickels was super cool and I enjoyed talking to him.

All in all, I think I did fairly well in all of my interviews. I optimistically feel as if I could he accepted by all three, and if that happens I think I'd rank them AM > Houston > San Antonio.

I live in the dallas area when I'm off of school, so it has a soft spot, plus they'll have a new clinic in two years so it's just like going to San Antonio basically. I really liked San Antonio, but Houston takes the cake for having updated facilities for all four years, plus the medical center is super cool. I really liked the students at AM the most too.

I think that was a super long response, but like I said I'm super bored and interested in hearinf yalls opinions!

I've gone to A&M and Houston so far!

A&M faculty and students were nice and welcoming, and the school is close to home since I'm also from the Dallas area. As for the interview, I think it went pretty well. My last of the three seemed to be nitpicking at some of my weaknesses at first by asking me why I got Bs in two classes during my junior year and then subsequently, why I had a lower PAT score than the rest of my sections, but after that it became pretty conversational again as we moved onto stuff I felt more comfortable talking about.

Houston was such a great surprise for me. I was really caught off guard by how brand-new and nice the new facilities are, and the crowd there definitely won me over. At the beginning of the cycle, A&M was my top school in Texas if I stay in-state, but after going to Houston, I think I honestly became much more indecisive! The environment there seems to be an excellent fit. The interview itself also went a bit smoother than Baylor as she basically complimented me on my personality in the middle of our conversation and and the end willingly offered me a business card and told me that she will have great things to say about me, so at least at face value, I take that as a good sign. Definitely my best interview so far this cycle (including OOS).

Still haven't heard from SA for some reason, but I hope to hear back from them soon before Dec 1st!

So far, I've also had another interview at UCSF, which I think went pretty well even though slightly harder than my Texas ones since it's closed file and you really have to sell yourself from the start. I felt that my faculty interview went extremely well there though (that and my Houston interview were definitely my best performances)! :) Also for UCSF, I actually was in the 2nd interview date of the cycle (they actually start really late and have 6 interview dates pre-Dec, and 6 post-Dec), so that's a great sign as well. UCSF is a very excellent school, with one of the best specialty program prep in the nation, and excellent clinical experience and a TON of community outreach opportunities (SF, as a city, also provides a great opportunity to interact with a very diverse group of people). Also, going to UCSF and living in SF (even though rent is crazy high), is in my opinion, a great chance for me to take on a new chapter and new opportunities in life. We'll see though! I also have another one coming up at MOSDOH, but I had to reschedule that one to Dec 15th due to issues with traveling, expenses, and exams.

Out of 3 the schools I've gone to in and out of state, I feel that all my interviews went fairly well and I, like you, optimistically feel that I could be accepted, with fingers crossed. If I were to get accepted to all three, I'd pick UCSF>Houston>A&M. However, that's not all set in stone as there's still a lot of things I will consider, and I will definitely have a discussion with parents about what school I will ultimately choose. In the end, I really do like all three schools and I feel that I would definitely be happy if I picked any of them. It's now a matter of intangibles and what happens come Dec. 1st.

Yeah sorry, my post is super long too because I don't feel like studying for my exam tomorrow oops xD

Last edited:
I've gone to A&M and Houston so far!

A&M faculty and students were nice and welcoming, and the school is close to home since I'm also from the Dallas area. As for the interview, I think it went pretty well. My last of the three seemed to be nitpicking at some of my weaknesses at first by asking me why I got Bs in two classes during my junior year and then subsequently, why I had a lower PAT score than the rest of my sections, but after that it became pretty conversational again as we moved onto stuff I felt more comfortable talking about.

Houston was such a great surprise for me. I was really caught off guard by how brand-new and nice the new facilities are, and the crowd there definitely won me over. At the beginning of the cycle, A&M was my top school in Texas if I stay in-state, but after going to Houston, I think I honestly became much more indecisive! Only con was that they don't really use cadaver labs, but the environment there seems to be an excellent fit. The interview itself also went a bit smoother than Baylor as she basically complimented me on my personality in the middle of our conversation and and the end willingly offered me a business card and told me that she will have great things to say about me, so at least at face value, I take that as a good sign. Definitely my best interview so far this cycle (including OOS).

Still haven't heard from SA for some reason, but I hope to hear back from them soon before Dec 1st!

So far, I've also had another interview at UCSF, which I think went pretty well even though slightly harder than my Texas ones since it's closed file and you really have to sell yourself from the start. I felt that my faculty interview went extremely well there though (that and my Houston interview were definitely my best performances)! :) Also for UCSF, I actually was in the 2nd interview date of the cycle (they actually start really late and have 6 interview dates pre-Dec, and 6 post-Dec), so that's a great sign as well. UCSF is a very excellent school, with one of the best specialty program prep in the nation, and excellent clinical experience and a TON of community outreach opportunities (SF, as a city, also provides a great opportunity to interact with a very diverse group of people). Also, going to UCSF and living in SF (even though rent is crazy high), is in my opinion, a great chance for me to take on a new chapter and new opportunities in lifeWe'll see though! I also have another one coming up at MOSDOH, but I had to reschedule that one to Dec 15th due to issues with traveling, expenses, and exams.

Out of 3 the schools I've gone to in and out of state, I feel that all my interviews went fairly well and I, like you, optimistically feel that I could be accepted, with fingers crossed. If I were to get accepted to all three, I'd pick UCSF>Houston>A&M. However, that's not all set in stone as there's still a lot of things I will consider, and I will definitely have a discussion with parents about what school I will ultimately choose. In the end, I really do like all three schools and I feel that I would definitely be happy if I picked any of them. It's now a matter of intangibles and what happens come Dec. 1st.

Yeah sorry, my post is super long too because I don't feel like studying for my exam tomorrow oops xD

I bet living in SF would be amazing! I had the same opinion as you going into, I thought I would rank AM #1 for sure. I was really surprised I enjoyed the others that much.

If location didn't matter Houston would probably be my number, but after living out of state for 2.5 years I'm ready to be back home lol. Plus I hate the Houston weather. Where in the dallas area are you from? I'm from Allen.

Also are you worried about the tuition difference?

I bet living in SF would be amazing! I had the same opinion as you going into, I thought I would rank AM #1 for sure. I was really surprised I enjoyed the others that much.

If location didn't matter Houston would probably be my number, but after living out of state for 2.5 years I'm ready to be back home lol. Plus I hate the Houston weather. Where in the dallas area are you from? I'm from Allen.

Also are you worried about the tuition difference?
Yeah dude, at the very beginning of the cycle I was basically thinking it all very practically and thought A&M would be my very top choice, no matter what. I also totally wasn't expecting to get invited to UCSF for an interview, but the day I got an invite from them, my life changed and from that point on, I felt that I learnt a lot about myself and what I wanted in my future that I didn't realize before. Then after going to Houston and UCSF, things definitely became even more interesting for me as for where I actually wanted to go. I'm not a huge fan of the Houston weather either, but they do have some great food down there! ;)

I'm from Frisco! I actually go to school right now at UT Dallas, so I've been in the Dallas area for like around 18 years now. Thus a change in scene, and a chance to take on new opportunities in a city as vibrant as SF definitely seems enticing now that I've gone to UCSF and wasn't disappointed by it at all. If at the end I still go to Baylor or Houston though, I feel that I would still fit and have a great experience! The only difference would be the vibes and the notion of embarking on a new chapter of my life.

UCSF's tuition is around 55k, which is definitely relatively expensive compared to Texas schools. However, I had been on a huge scholarship during my four years at UT Dallas, and despite it being in San Francisco, it's actually only half the tuition at most Ivy Leagues, because it's still a public school (just a really good one). I've talked about it around with a few friends and another one of my friends at UCSF who was actually a UT Dallas alumni whom I visited when I toured around San Francisco the weekend of my UCSF interview, and they actually encouraged me to go for it if I truly wanted it. We'll ultimately see though; at this point, I'll be happy to go anywhere that accepts me! :) All three schools I've been to are excellent in their own ways!

What school do you go to right now for undergrad?

Last edited:
Yeah dude, at the very beginning of the cycle I was basically thinking it all very practically and thought A&M would be my very top choice, no matter what. I also totally wasn't expecting to get invited to UCSF for an interview, but the day I got an invite from them, my life changed and from that point on, I felt that I learnt a lot about myself and what I wanted in my future that I didn't realize before. Then after going to Houston and UCSF, things definitely became even more interesting for me as for where I actually wanted to go. I'm not a huge fan of the Houston weather either, but they do have some great food down there! ;)

I'm from Frisco! I actually go to school right now at UT Dallas, so I've been in the Dallas area for like around 18 years now. Thus a change in scene, and a chance to take on new opportunities in a city as vibrant as SF definitely seems enticing now that I've gone to UCSF and wasn't disappointed by it at all. If at the end I still go to Baylor or Houston though, I feel that I would still fit and have a great experience! The only difference would be the vibes and the notion of embarking on a new chapter of my life.

UCSF's tuition is around 55k, which is definitely relatively expensive compared to Texas schools. However, I had been on a full ride scholarship during my four years at UT Dallas, and despite it being in San Francisco, it's actually only half the tuition at most Ivy Leagues, because it's still a public school (just a really good one). I've talked about it around with a few friends and another one of my friends at UCSF who was actually a UT Dallas alumni whom I visited when I toured around San Francisco the weekend of my UCSF interview, and they actually encouraged me to go for it if I truly wanted it. We'll ultimately see though; at this point, I'll be happy to go anywhere that accepts me! :) All three schools I've been to are excellent in their own ways!

What school do you go to right now for undergrad?

That's really awesome and i really like the fact that you've put so much time into actually exploring what you want to do and planning everything out properly. One of the regrets I do have is not applying out of state honestly, like you mentioned, Dallas is cool, but it definitely doesn't have the same vibe as somewhere like SF where it's actually alive and interesting.

My girlfriend actually goes to UTD rn as well! I go to OU. If I could restart this cycle I think I would apply to OU, UNLV, AZ, and some Cali schools. I really like the desert, and obviously California's great.

I really wanted to save as much money possible, (out of state for OU is already expensive) so I decided Texas only, since if I get into a school here I'm definitely sticking around for the cheaper cost anyways, I didn't want to apply to somewherei wouldn't go (though I may have changed my mind like you did).

I won't go into much bc I would just be repeating mostly what yall said. All three of my interviews went great thankfully. Houston's culture and people is what stood out as the shocker that coupled with its facilities is hard to beat. Since I really can't go wrong with any tx school it's just down to location. I'm much closer to the Dallas area so for me: A&M>UTSD>SA

Let's hope I get to pick on dec 1st!

I won't go into much bc I would just be repeating mostly what yall said. All three of my interviews went great thankfully. Houston's culture and people is what stood out as the shocker that coupled with its facilities is hard to beat. Since I really can't go wrong with any tx school it's just down to location. I'm much closer to the Dallas area so for me: A&M>UTSD>SA

Let's hope I get to pick on dec 1st!

What stood out to you about their people and culture?

What stood out to you about their people and culture?

How they were so welcoming. They preached the "family atmosphere" and I for sure saw that on the interview day. More than the other schools not to say tho that they weren't welcoming. People I knew/friends made me feel like I was coming home. I know quite a few in A&M and San Antonio but Houston really made it a point to deliver that feeling