TMDSAS Chances 3.8 sGPA, 506 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jav116

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I applied through the TMDSAS application in September, was fortunate to have 4 interviews at uthscsa, uth, foster, and utmb, as of right now I am a little nervous as to whether I will be accepted this cycle.

My stats: 3.79 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA cumulative(cc+university)
I attended community college for 2 years, and undergrad at a 4 year university for 3 years(where I took all my science courses)

506 MCAT(128bio/128Chem/125CARS/125Psych), undergrad @ average state school, URM Mex/Am(I think its considered),

Activities:
Clinical:
1 Semester of x-ray tech school: 200+ hrs
Shadowed General Surgeon 150+ hrs
Shadowed ENT 25+hrs

Volunteer:
Hospice 200+ hrs
Random adopt a spots, city wide community service events 30+ hrs

Work:
Several jobs,
Student employee
Tutor for various subjects throughout college

Research: 100+ hrs, co-author pub. next semester

Interviews were average conversational types, basically asked about my family, how I changed from x-ray school to medicine, "typical" I would say relative to other interviewees.

I would truly want to know what are my post-interview chances of getting accepted, and if I do not, should I retake the MCAT, maybe a post-bacc program, or any other opinions. I am would highly appreciate the constructive criticism.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a Mexican American URM you are competitive pretty much anywhere in the country with those stats. With 4 II's, the odds of getting an acceptance from one of them are rather high consideringly how highly sought URMs with a 3.8/29 are.

If by some chance you don't get accepted this cycle, it's not a numbers issue, its an interviewing issue or an issue with your "soft" factors(LORs, essays etc)

What happened at x-ray tech school? Did you drop out? This is the only weak spot I can see on a pretty good application. Getting a publication after only 100 hours of research may be a little suspect. That's 5 weeks at 20 hours/week. When I was 5 weeks into my first rotation for my Ph.D, I could barely do PCR. What did you do?

With 4 interviews and your stats, you look pretty good.