TN Resident, 3.7 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, 516(127/131/128/130), help with list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I attended two schools (a liberal arts school and state school; will be 2 years at each) so I've broke my resume down by school.

ExtraCurriculars:

School 1 (small liberal arts school):

-Pre-Health Society (SGA Representative 2016)
-Honors Student Council (Class representative 2016)
-Chemistry Society (Student Founder)
-Tutor 15 hrs/week (Sophomore Year)(Twice named tutor of the month)
-Intramural Soccer

School 2(state school):

-Center of Academic Athletic Services Tutor (10 hrs/week)
-Honors Society
-Pre-Health Society

Volunteer Work:

~50 hrs Mentoring youth convicted of minor offenses in Memphis
~50 hours volunteer coaching local competitive soccer team
~40 hours volunteer coaching local HS varsity soccer team
~40 hours volunteer coaching local recreational soccer team
~20 hours working new student orientation/ interview days on behalf of the honors program

Clinical Exposure:

~60 hours shadowing (Family Practice/Pediatrics/Oncology)
~30 hours Remote Area Medical
*Will be adding ~100 hours clinical volunteer work to this before application deadline

Research:

~120 hours biomedical research experience (Zebra Fish)
-hoping for publication and to present at National Undergraduate Research Conference
~Assisted on Genetics Research (~12 hours)

After Meeting with my pre health advisor here is the list we have came up with. Is there any schools I should add or any that I should remove/would not be competitive at? Thank you in advance!

Edit: With some updates to my resume, the release of the new MSAR, and the updated MCAT percentiles I'm looking for some advice on my updated school list (last post by me). Thank you in advance for all your help. You guys have been an invaluable resource!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitt is a private school; they don't care about ties.

I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.

U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
Mayo (both)
Duke
Case
JHU
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia

Hofstra
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s).

Pitt is a private school; they don't care about ties.

I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.

U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
Mayo (both)
Duke
Case
JHU
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia

Hofstra
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s).

Thank you for your response! I'll definitely add some of the schools you mentioned.If you don't mind me asking what are your thoughts on Michigan(I was unsure whether it was worth applying to with me being OOS)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, your ECs are meh, and U MI is one of the top schools in the country. So you have to be > avg for them, especially coming from OOS.

Thank you for your response! I'll definitely add some of the schools you mentioned.If you don't mind me asking what are your thoughts on Michigan(I was unsure whether it was worth applying to with me being OOS)?

Ive heard ETSU recruits very heavily from the eastern part of the state to the point that if you are west it's a real long shot. If you aren't that's worth looking into
Unless you went to Brown for UG I dont think its a good choice
If ETSU isnt a realistic option for you it might not be a bad idea to add a half dozen or more OOS target types. Keep in mind ETSU is also fairly mission oriented
Go through MSAR and find OOS friendly schools with an MCAT median around 34 that get <11k apps(ie Miami, Einstein etc)
Most of the schools on your list outside of Brown generally speaking are fine. Research exp will be very important at some like Pitt

Ive heard ETSU recruits very heavily from the eastern part of the state to the point that if you are west it's a real long shot. If you aren't that's worth looking into
Unless you went to Brown for UG I dont think its a good choice
If ETSU isnt a realistic option for you it might not be a bad idea to add a half dozen or more OOS target types. Keep in mind ETSU is also fairly mission oriented
Go through MSAR and find OOS friendly schools with an MCAT median around 34 that get <11k apps(ie Miami, Einstein etc)
Most of the schools on your list outside of Brown generally speaking are fine. Research exp will be very important at some like Pitt

Thank you for the feedback. I was not aware ETSU had such a strong preference for residents of the East TN. I also wasn't aware of Brown's strong preference for their own undergrad students. Both of those things are good to know. I was thinking of removing ETSU, Brown, and Michigan and adding Columbia, Rochester, Miami, Mayo, U of VM, Creighton, and Case. Is that a better list?

Thank you for the feedback. I was not aware ETSU had such a strong preference for residents of the East TN. I also wasn't aware of Brown's strong preference for their own undergrad students. Both of those things are good to know. I was thinking of removing ETSU, Brown, and Michigan and adding Columbia, Rochester, Miami, Mayo, U of VM, Creighton, and Case. Is that a better list?

You should contact ETSU to see if your location is in an area they take people from before deciding whether to remove it.
Your research exp is going to be a significant factor at schools like Columbia and Case, if you dont have significant exp that likely will handicap you
Rochester and Miami are solid choices. Your MCAT is hovering around Creighton's 90th. Mayo with its tiny class and unpredictable admission is a total crap shoot for anybody

Reactions: 1 user
You should contact ETSU to see if your location is in an area they take people from before deciding whether to remove it.
Your research exp is going to be a significant factor at schools like Columbia and Case, if you dont have significant exp that likely will handicap you
Rochester and Miami are solid choices. Your MCAT is hovering around Creighton's 90th. Mayo with its tiny class and unpredictable admission is a total crap shoot for anybody

Thank you for your advice! I'll definitely check on the location thing with ETSU. So if you don't mind me asking: What constitutes significant research experience to a school like case or columbia (1st author publication, presentation at conferences, a certain number of hours, or something else)? Also, might be a stupid pre-med question, but just curious as to why an MCAT around the 90th percentile at a school is a bad thing?

Also, might be a stupid pre-med question, but just curious as to why an MCAT around the 90th percentile at a school is a bad thing?
Schools have data on yields with applicants at every MCAT score.
If they have never matriculated a person from your state with that score, there is little reason to expend an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Schools have data on yields with applicants at every MCAT score.
If they have never matriculated a person from your state with that score, there is little reason to expend an interview.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining. Do you have any schools not yet mentioned you'd say to add or remove?

Ok, so I did some further research on the schools admissions stats and used this plus all the helpful feedback you guys gave me to come up wth this revised list:

Columbia (Reach)
Vanderbilt (Reach)
Pitt (Reach)
Emory
Mayo (both)
Boston U
Rochester
USC/Keck
Einstein
Dartmouth
Miami
Wake Forest
Temple
MCW
U of VM
SLU
Tulane
U of TN

Would you guys mind critiquing my list again? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good list. I would delete MCW, Temple and SLU.

Thank you for your response professor! If you don't mind me asking, would you recommend finding other schools to replace those three on the list or just leave the list at 16 schools?

The list is already too long!

Okay. Looking around this forum and the others I saw most people putting 15 + on their list and just figured that was the norm (I should know better than to consider the SDN pre-med forums the norm lol). So updated list:

Columbia (Reach)
Pitt (Reach)
Vanderbilt (Reach)
Mayo (both)
Emory
Rochester
Boston
USC/Keck
Einstein
Dartmouth
Miami
Wake Forest
U of VM
Tulane
U of TN

Did ETSU say you were a no?

The answer I got was ETSU's only bias is towards IS and veterans. However, their stated mission consists of serving the rural East TN region. Not sure if I'd fit what they're looking for (not from East TN or a rural area)? I'll be looking into this further between now and application season.

With the new MSAR coming out, the updating of the MCAT percentiles, and some improvements in my application I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on my updated school list. Thanks in advance!

Improvements:
-2 semesters of 4.0 GPA -> 3.77 cGPA and 3.76 sGPA
-300 hours of additional clinical volunteering with patient contact
-400 additional hours of research + received grant funding for an independent project over this summer. (will lead to at least 1 poster presentation)
-~300 additional hours tutoring making tutoring total hours ~ 1000
-~100 hours as a mentor for students at my school from disadvantaged backgrounds

School List:

Donation:
Vanderbilt

Reach:
Pitt
Duke

Target:
Emory
Einstein
CWRU
USC/Keck
Rochester
Wisconsin
Mayo AZ
Ohio State
Iowa
Miami

Safety/State:
Hofstra
Vermont
UTHSC
ETSU

Any schools that I should remove? Any schools that are not this list that I should be applying to? Hoping for some last minute advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest, of your list:

Vanderbilt
Pitt
Duke
Emory
Einstein
CWRU
USC/Keck
Rochester
Wisconsin
Mayo AZ
Add: Mayo MN
Ohio State
Miami
Hofstra
Vermont
UTHSC
ETSU

IF you're from Eastern TN, consider Va Tech or U WV. Also consider BU and Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your response! I'm unfortunately not from Eastern TN. Taking your suggestions into account, here is my updated list:

Vanderbilt
Duke
Pitt
Emory
Einstein
CWRU
USC/Keck
Rochester
Wisconsin
Mayo AZ
Mayo MN
Ohio State