To all community college transfers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkey.King

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering how did you guys adjust to the more rigorous coursework at the school you transferred to vs at your community college? I've been told stories lately about how ridiculously easy community college is, so the transition to university work can be overwhelming at times

Members don't see this ad.

Im just wondering how did you guys adjust to the more rigorous coursework at the school you transferred to vs at your community college? I've been told stories lately about how ridiculously easy community college is, so the transition to university work can be overwhelming at times
Find your balance, seek help, and stay on top of everything. University curriculum is usually extremely fast.

Eh, my university was less difficult than my community college. Was an easy transition to make.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what community college you're transferring from and to what school you're transferring into. If you're going from a CC to Cornell then yah, you're going to have a major adjustment issue. A good CC to a school state flag ship school? You'll probably find yourself having limited to no problems adjusting, finding some classes easier, and some classes extremely easier.

Personally I found transferring from my CC to my State school to be largely a painless process. But honestly, undergrad isn't really all that challenging.

I didn't think the course work was easier at a community college. It largely depends on your instructor and their curve policy.

I just transferred over to my university this semester, and I can attest to the curriculum being overwhelming at times. However, I am doing a lot better than the average on tests due to my foundation from my CC. Turkishking said it best, literally make time to make sure you're on top of everything because due dates come and go quicker than one would imagine. I also use every resource available, even my old CC tutors.

My A&P class was a cadaver anatomy course and was probably the hardest class I took during my undergrad, yet it was at CC that I took that course. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Take less credits than you would at CC and you should be fine. Most universities have departments or groups specifically to support incoming students from CC. Get acquainted with them and don't be afraid to use their services. For example, my university offers a certain amount of free 1 on 1 tutoring for incoming CC students.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You adjust. Just remember to increase your work ethic by at least a factor of 2. Less netflix and dick off time. I transitioned last fall and it was a hellhole of a semester. But now it's a lot easier.