To all current students, gap year - good or bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilliamC93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry about this lowly pre-dent posting on your forms, but I am very curious. I am a Senior in college and applied this cycle and have had a couple of interviews, but now I've been really thinking I could benefit a lot more from gap year than without. So I would like to know your opinions on the matter. For those who had a gap year(s), was it the right break to have before school, or was it too long of a break and set you behind the straight-from-collegers? For those who wen't in right after college, do you regret it and wish you could have had on final year to be enjoy yourself in the peak of your prime twenties? Thank you guys very much for your feedback.

PS. If deferrals are a thing, let me know, that would be an awesome option.

Members don't see this ad.

Took a gap year after graduation. I also regret nothing. Did a lot of stuff, and also did nothing. You'll never get another opportunity like that again (you start working after graduation to pay off loans), so my advice is that if it's feasible, take a year off!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a bad idea. Travel. Work a real job if you haven't yet. Gain some world experiences and mature a bit. It will go a long way when you start seeing patients.

I worked for a year at an oral surgery office during my gap year and am now a step ahead of the "straight-from-collegers". Got some great real world experience and I also saved up a little cash $$$ so I'm not as dirt poor as others. In my opinion, If you have the opportunity to go straight from college you should take it. But if you have to take a gap year, make the most of it and you will stand out next application cycle.

I thought it was strongly advised to stay academically active? I am in a similar situation as WilliamC93 except I will likely be applying after I graduate or will be just taking a class or two in the fall. This was actually freaking me out today thinking about it

I think it depends on your GPA. If you have a high GPA, staying academically active in your gap year is not as important. My GPA was on the low end so I took and extra class after graduating to beef up the resume and "stay academically active" as well as working full time at an oral surgery office. I would think that being involved in the field of dentistry is more important. For example, working as a dental assistant, lab tech, volunteering etc.

I took a gap year and did research at the NIH before dental school - best decision I've ever made. Not only is it nice to have some free time before you're sucked in - it was nice to have a little extra money saved up as a cushion (so I didn't have to use loan money for mini-trips). Most dental classes are a mixture of people who are straight out of school and those that have been out for a while (including some who had had full other careers!), and I think having that year between undergrad and dental school helped me relate better to everyone.

Deferrals may be a thing, depends on the school. Just make sure you have a good reason why, talk with the admissions director honestly and don't burn any bridges. It's a small dental world. Good luck!

If I end up getting accepted in a few weeks and start dental school this summer/fall, I will have been graduated and working in research lab for 3 years. Best decision I ever made. As others have mentioned it gave me great professional experience, publications, furthered my knowledge of science, and most importantly gave me some free time and a break from studying. With that said, I did take a few more science classes as they were free since I work at a public university, as well as some shadowing since I actually had the time to do so (played 4 years of soccer in undergrad). I also was able to fully dedicate my time to studying for the DAT (while not having to study for classes), which I think allowed me to do better and only take it once. I did some traveling in Europe (DO THIS or you probably won't have another opportunity for a very long time), built up my savings and credit, and began to grasp what being an adult is like (maybe?).

With all of this said, if you get in, I would go. You never know what could happen in the coming years and what it would look like if you pass up going to dental school (I believe you will have to disclose this on your app in one way or another). I haven't heard of any places that allow you to defer (at least within the past few years), but there might be some out there. Good luck either way!

Relax and enjoy your time off. Once you start dental school you're not gonna stop until you retire.

I think it depends on your GPA. If you have a high GPA, staying academically active in your gap year is not as important. My GPA was on the low end so I took and extra class after graduating to beef up the resume and "stay academically active" as well as working full time at an oral surgery office. I would think that being involved in the field of dentistry is more important. For example, working as a dental assistant, lab tech, volunteering etc.
Yeah I do have a strong GPA and DAT. Staying academically active was one of the big factors that led me to apply, but I have only finally come to realize that having a year off will not put me behind the game in any way. I mean the average matriculating age is like 26 now. If almost everybody is coming in with gap years and becoming dentists, I don't know why I was paranoid.
Took a gap year after graduation. I also regret nothing. Did a lot of stuff, and also did nothing. You'll never get another opportunity like that again (you start working after graduation to pay off loans), so my advice is that if it's feasible, take a year off!
This is what I'm talking about. I feel like having one year school free where I can travel and work a menial job and work on my side hobbies like music composition would be much more beneficial for me in the long run than simply getting into a life long career a year earlier. I guess, the big obvious thing that has happened to me from an insanely hectic, rest-less summer after an insanely hectic, restless junior year, now in an insanely hectic, restless senior year has devoid me of all motivation for more school. I need this gap year break to bore myself and get me wanting to start real life again. I feel like since there may be only a two week break between graduation and matriculation, I will go in without the necessary motivation which is crucial to dental school success.
If I end up getting accepted in a few weeks and start dental school this summer/fall, I will have been graduated and working in research lab for 3 years. Best decision I ever made. As others have mentioned it gave me great professional experience, publications, furthered my knowledge of science, and most importantly gave me some free time and a break from studying. With that said, I did take a few more science classes as they were free since I work at a public university, as well as some shadowing since I actually had the time to do so (played 4 years of soccer in undergrad). I also was able to fully dedicate my time to studying for the DAT (while not having to study for classes), which I think allowed me to do better and only take it once. I did some traveling in Europe (DO THIS or you probably won't have another opportunity for a very long time), built up my savings and credit, and began to grasp what being an adult is like (maybe?).

With all of this said, if you get in, I would go. You never know what could happen in the coming years and what it would look like if you pass up going to dental school (I believe you will have to disclose this on your app in one way or another). I haven't heard of any places that allow you to defer (at least within the past few years), but there might be some out there. Good luck either way!
Is this true? Would it really look that bad if I just simply decide I want a year to grow and mature so that I am ready for the rigorous material? Because at this point I don't think I am mentally ready for it (in the sense of metal well-being, not cognitive ability).

I think it depends on how you approach it. Your reasons seem appropriate and reasonable to me, but if an adcomm doesn't have all of the information, who knows how it will look. Especially if you re-apply to a school that accepts you this year. Do whatever is better for you and your well-being, I guess I'm just saying to be aware of this.

I didn't want to waste any year at all since my limited English had already put me several years behind many kids my age. I came to the US when I was 16. I went to summer school every year to make sure that I could earn a HS diploma in 2 years. In college, I tried to complete all the required ESL classes as soon as possible so I could take regular English classes and earned a BS degree in 4 years. I went straight to dental school right after that. At the age of 29, I completed my ortho residency, got married, and started earning a six figure income. I didn't feel I wasted my youth years because I still had a lot of fun while working toward achieving my goal. I don't really care much about traveling to Europe since I have the opportunity to live in the US, the best country in the world.

Things may not have turned out to be the same if I wasted 2-3 years during my undergrad years. I had the opportunity to start my ortho practice 2 years before the 2008 recession. I invested my hard earned money early. By the time the recession hit, many of my patients already knew who I was and they started going around telling their friends about my office. Now, at the age of 43, I no longer have to worry about the recession, the increase in number of new ortho grads, the GPs who do ortho and stop referring patients to my office etc.

Being an immigrant and growing up poor have allowed me to see things differently than kids who were born in this country. I saw several great opportunities that this wonderful country has offered me and I didn't waste time to grab these opportunities. I am afraid my children won't be able to see this when they grow up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You know... I took a gap "semester," and honestly, I'm not sure how good it was for me. During my months off, I worked full time.

I REALLLLLYYYYYYYY miss being able to come home at 5 and having NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT for the rest of the evening. I could watch Netflix and just piddle around and relax. With dental school, there is always something to worry about in the evenings...

Reactions: 1 user
it's a very good idea.After finished doctor degree most of the student are not connect each other so it's a great idea for connect all of them on a shade of umbrella.