To all the ODs who are Board certified by the ABO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you feel or what is your response now that the NBEO has unveiled their Board certification process?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anybody smell trolling here? If not you don't have an olfactory nerve.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what all trolls say.

Considering that this is THE issue of the week in optometry, I don't see how this can be counted as trolling. My feeling is that ABO is on the way out now.

Considering that this is THE issue of the week in optometry, I don't see how this can be counted as trolling. My feeling is that ABO is on the way out now.

I wonder if the ABO issues a statement of their own ?

Last edited:
The only ODs I know, who are "ABO Certified" are either FT academics or current AOA reps, and most of them were "encouraged" by their superiors, to get the "credentials." I don't know a single non-academic, non-AOA OD, who took the cheese.

If my assumption is true, that very few of the bait-takers are outside of academics and the AOA, then the ABO is doomed to fail. Students will not be signing up out of school, and experienced ODs will pass as well, making the ABO a certain failure.

You can shape a tird into a gold bar, but at the end of the day, it's a tird, and it'll end up where it belongs. And so will go the ABO.

I just paid the $150 to be immediately (within 2-4 weeks) "board certified" by the NBEO. I have 6 years to take the exam since I graduated in 2009. A lot easier than the ABO requirements (and cost!) and I get the same title :)

The only ODs I know, who are "ABO Certified" are either FT academics or current AOA reps, and most of them were "encouraged" by their superiors, to get the "credentials." I don't know a single non-academic, non-AOA OD, who took the cheese.

If my assumption is true, that very few of the bait-takers are outside of academics and the AOA, then the ABO is doomed to fail. Students will not be signing up out of school, and experienced ODs will pass as well, making the ABO a certain failure.

You can shape a tird into a gold bar, but at the end of the day, it's a tird, and it'll end up where it belongs. And so will go the ABO.
You must not get around much. I am one of whom you speak. I am not an academic. I am not (nor ever have been) an officer of the AOA. Nor do I have a boss other than myself. So does that make me a turd or a tird?

I just paid the $150 to be immediately (within 2-4 weeks) "board certified" by the NBEO. I have 6 years to take the exam since I graduated in 2009. A lot easier than the ABO requirements (and cost!) and I get the same title :)
You get what you pay for. Are you getting BCd by NBEO just to stick it to the ABO or because you are cheap or lazy? Or maybe you are doing it just to be able to brag that you have a title? You are supposed to be doing it to improve your knowledge base and the care you deliver to living breathing patients. So if...nevermind...out of time.

You must not get around much. I am one of whom you speak. I am not an academic. I am not (nor ever have been) an officer of the AOA. Nor do I have a boss other than myself. So does that make me a turd or a tird?

No, it just makes you gullible. You just paid a lot of money to take an exam that has an artificially-high, nearly 98% pass rate, which tests information already tested by NBEO. You've been duped - horribly.

Reactions: 1 user