To all those matching AOA tomorrow!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuccaDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best of luck and best wishes. I hope all of you end up where you want to be and in the specialty of your choice! Us third years are watching and hoping for the best as we will want the same in a year to come!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Bump.

I wanna see some posts with good news tomorrow. Too much doom and gloom on this site about the match. Please let us know how it goes

Reactions: 2 users
For all the grievance that the AOA match causes by being a month before the NRMP match, it's gotta at least by nice to be done with the whole process before some people are.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all the grievance that the AOA match causes by being a month before the NRMP match, it's gotta at least by nice to be done with the whole process before some people are.

Agree with this so much. My match was last month, and I am so ridiculously happy to be done with it all.

Reactions: 1 user
Matched!

Reactions: 9 users
So I know everyone may think I'm crazy and a downer because I matched today. I know I should be thankful and grateful that I even matched and not scrambling, but I matched into a lower program that I realize I shouldn't have even ranked. I have older friends that didn't match and ended up scrambling into a better program and are so much happier where they are now.

So my question is. Is it possible to still scramble even though I matched? If so, should I risk it? Will programs know if I call that I already matched? I'm Family Medicine btw. Should I call and ask my school or will they think I'm crazy?

Please be kind and understanding when responding.

So I know everyone may think I'm crazy and a downer because I matched today. I know I should be thankful and grateful that I even matched and not scrambling, but I matched into a lower program that I realize I shouldn't have even ranked. I have older friends that didn't match and ended up scrambling into a better program and are so much happier where they are now.

So my question is. Is it possible to still scramble even though I matched? If so, should I risk it? Will programs know if I call that I already matched? I'm Family Medicine btw. Should I call and ask my school or will they think I'm crazy?

Please be kind and understanding when responding.
It isn't. The match is binding. Sorry man.

But technically I haven't even signed their contract yet so is it really binding?

Yes, you don't have to sign their contract, however the agreement you made by entering the match would make you a match violator and preclude you from residencies this year.

Reactions: 3 users
But technically I haven't even signed their contract yet so is it really binding?

Release from Match commitments are mutually agreed upon by both program and matched student through a written release by mutual consent. The contract is a binding legal document between the institution and the student, and there may be legal ramifications if either party breaches the contract.-from AOA website

Thank you Siggy and WusUpDoc. And sorry for starting the thread in such a depressing manner. I am very happy and grateful that I matched. I will try to be positive and just make the best of it. Congratz to everyone who matched!

Thank you Siggy and WusUpDoc. And sorry for starting the thread in such a depressing manner. I am very happy and grateful that I matched. I will try to be positive and just make the best of it. Congratz to everyone who matched!
Don't be sorry. This is your life, is kind of a big deal.

And with that, I think I'm off to pull a couple of programs off my ROL for next month.

Members don't see this ad :)

Take it from someone who's been there. There is nothing worse than not matching. Finding a program, especially a better program, is not something that is guaranteed. When you find yourself unmatched, you would swear your soul to the devil just to end up somewhere. Take comfort in the fact that you are going somewhere for residency, you know where you are going, all the uncertainty is behind now, and now you can enjoy the rest of your year, relax, and get ready to move onto the next step of your life. Go out somewhere and celebrate never having another residency interview with stupid questions, having to feign interest, or caring that you got only a high pass instead of honors on your rotations. It no longer matters!

Reactions: 5 users
Take it from someone who's been there. There is nothing worse than not matching. Finding a program, especially a better program, is not something that is guaranteed. When you find yourself unmatched, you would swear your soul to the devil just to end up somewhere. Take comfort in the fact that you are going somewhere for residency, you know where you are going, all the uncertainty is behind now, and now you can enjoy the rest of your year, relax, and get ready to move onto the next step of your life. Go out somewhere and celebrate never having another residency interview with stupid questions, having to feign interest, or caring that you got only a high pass instead of honors on your rotations. It no longer matters!

...and as someone who is scrambling this year, the next 2 hours until open spots are released won't come soon enough either (granted, the slight advantage of being a TRI is that I can email currently open programs as well).

Well let's turn those frowns upside down shall we? I matching into my top choice urology spot. If anyone wants to know how I got here I'd be more than happy to help!!!

Reactions: 10 users
Well let's turn those frowns upside down shall we? I matching into my top choice urology spot. If anyone wants to know how I got here I'd be more than happy to help!!!

Boss. Congrats, I'm sure that was a long time coming.

Would love to hear how you set up 3rd and 4th year to gear towards applying uro. I know AOA residencies often like you to rotate there - how did you manage that with multiple sites?

DCOM with AOA NS at Doctor's Hospital as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Happy with the VCOM results. Surely one of the reasons it is low is because VCOM typically has a large number of students matching to the "less competitive residencies" but to see consistency with last years numbers (at 8%) and the VCOM - carolinas campus matching similarly in their first match is good.

LECOM-Bs match list is starting out pretty impressive. I know of an ENT, at least 5 Ortho, Neurosurg, 2 optho and an MD Urology at a place that has never taken a DO before

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
LECOM-Bs match list is starting out pretty impressive. I know of an ENT, at least 5 Ortho, Neurosurg, 2 optho and an MD Urology at a place that has never taken a DO before

I'm so confused. Isn't this the AOA match? Why does it seem like there are also ACGME matches here? I thought that match was in March no?

Is it just me or is that an insane amount of unmatched people? 728/30 ~ 24 per school. I realize some of those people were perhaps doing both AOA and ACGME, but that seems like a lot of people.

LECOM B proves year after year that if you can withstand the dress code/drink policy and tolerate occasional frustrations with clinical Ed that you will leave that school very competitive for residency.

Is it just me or is that an insane amount of unmatched people? 728/30 ~ 24 per school. I realize some of those people were perhaps doing both AOA and ACGME, but that seems like a lot of people.
Thought the same thing. I think a lot of people are willing to take long shots at competitive residencies in the do match knowing the MD match is next month and they can do a backup specialty. I think that accounts for some of it. Still after removing those people I bet the number would be stupid high. Not good

those numbers are before the aoa scramble.. when its all said and done between the aoa and acgme, most everyone gets a spot ... the better schools have had 100% placement every year

Thought the same thing. I think a lot of people are willing to take long shots at competitive residencies in the do match knowing the MD match is next month and they can do a backup specialty. I think that accounts for some of it. Still after removing those people I bet the number would be stupid high. Not good

If you compare it with the 2014 results it may be that there is a big increase in people opting out of the AOA match. My guess is the merger.

I don't see any huge differences in schools as far as % not matched when comparing the 2 years

https://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2014sklstats.html

Last edited:
I know. Point was that that many people scrambling is kinda crazy. One out of four/5?

Something else to consider is that TONS of people apply ACGME. Those applicants usually rank only their top AOA programs. So their likelihood of not ranking is higher...but considering that many will match NRMP... the overall match rate is very high.

Something else to consider is that TONS of people apply ACGME. Those applicants usually rank only their top AOA programs. So their likelihood of not ranking is higher...but considering that many will match NRMP... the overall match rate is very high.
Agreed. Most schools had an increase opting out (far right column)

Guess I wasn't very clear in my original comment. I was food shopping so I was trying to be quick. Of course those numbers (not matched) include some people who only ranked very competitive specialties and will just move on to the MD match. But if we subtracted those people I think we'd still be surprised by the amount who had to scramble. Not sure there's any way to actually get that exact number, though. I'm not talking about people who are only doing MD match.

Anyway this is just an opinion/speculation.

Is it true that of you scramble that you can still partake in the NRMP?

Not if you accept a DO spot. You can however scramble into a DO spot after the ACGME match if you don't secure a spot there. Problem is that not much is left over at that point except TRI. Hopefully future cohorts won't have to worry about these issues.

SOMA's list looks to be pretty EM and surgery heavy so far. At least much more so than in past years.

I know quite a few folks holding out for the main match in EM and Surgery too.

SOMA's list looks to be pretty EM and surgery heavy so far. At least much more so than in past years.

I know quite a few folks holding out for the main match in EM and Surgery too.
Which school is SOMA?

How I set up my Uro stuff wasn't that bad. I did a third year rotation in Uro to make sure I liked it, that was in December. During that rotation I set up away rotations in Philadelphia, Chicago, Lansing and Detroit. That's where the good Uro DO residencies are that I was interested in. I did a month at each one since my school only allows 16 weeks of one specialty. They really like you to do rotations and I know for an absolute fact that my rotation is what got me in. It was a pain though because I left AZ the end of July and didn't get back until the beginning of December.

That number includes people who only ranked their top 1-2 DO programs or who only went for competitive AOA programs (NS, Ophtho, ENT, Uro, etc.). There is a whole population of people that use the AOA match that way, and use the ACGME match as a backup.

In addition, those numbers include previous graduates that failed to match in the past and are reapplying. Those people tend to have significantly lower match rates to begin with (to give you an idea, on the MD side its like 50-60% compared to 95% for US MD seniors).

Is it true that of you scramble that you can still partake in the NRMP?

No.

...But if we subtracted those people I think we'd still be surprised by the amount who had to scramble. Not sure there's any way to actually get that exact number, though. I'm not talking about people who are only doing MD match.

Anyway this is just an opinion/speculation.

There's no real way to figure that out or even get a close approximation of it unless we see how many DOs scramble in the month before the ACGME match.

At this point you could guess it will be a high number, I could guess it will be a low one, and we'd both be equally accurate. It's meaningless without data. Hopefully that's something we'll get with the merger, but it's not like it would affect any of us now.

I don't get it when they say only 75% match...do the other 25% scramble or apply ACGME? Based on AOA:

"On Feb. 9, 1,997 DO students successfully matched to osteopathic residencies. Of the 2,907 students who participated in the Osteopathic Match, 75% successfully matched for a total of 2,179 placements."

I don't get it when they say only 75% match...do the other 25% scramble or apply ACGME? Based on AOA:

"On Feb. 9, 1,997 DO students successfully matched to osteopathic residencies. Of the 2,907 students who participated in the Osteopathic Match, 75% successfully matched for a total of 2,179 placements."

This. Some are using the ACGME as backup. Others will scramble now.

Matched ENT, representing NYIT-COM (formerly NYCOM)

Reactions: 6 users
How I set up my Uro stuff wasn't that bad. I did a third year rotation in Uro to make sure I liked it, that was in December. During that rotation I set up away rotations in Philadelphia, Chicago, Lansing and Detroit. That's where the good Uro DO residencies are that I was interested in. I did a month at each one since my school only allows 16 weeks of one specialty. They really like you to do rotations and I know for an absolute fact that my rotation is what got me in. It was a pain though because I left AZ the end of July and didn't get back until the beginning of December.

WCU only lets us do 8 weeks of one specialty. How did you like Chicago( is it Stroger) and Lansing? I am hoping to rotate at both of those this upcoming fall.

WCU only lets us do 8 weeks of one specialty. How did you like Chicago( is it Stroger) and Lansing? I am hoping to rotate at both of those this upcoming fall.

I don't understand how schools can do this while some specialties only interview students who rotate with them. Does your school expect you to only interview at and rank two programs in your chosen specialty and call it good?

I don't understand how schools can do this while some specialties only interview students who rotate with them. Does your school expect you to only interview at and rank two programs in your chosen specialty and call it good?

We are "allowed" to do additional rotations above the 8 allotted weeks, but anything over 8 will not count towards the total of 32 week of required 4th rotations. So instead of being done with 4th year at the end of March, I plan to do additional urology rotations and just finish at the end of April.

We are "allowed" to do additional rotations above the 8 allotted weeks, but anything over 8 will not count towards the total of 32 week of required 4th rotations. So instead of being done with 4th year at the end of March, I plan to do additional urology rotations and just finish at the end of April.

That's actually very reasonable. We have 44 weeks of required 4th year rotations (3 electives, 2 selectives, 2 ambulatory, 2 EM, a rural underserved, and a primary care selective). During 3rd year, we also have 44 required weeks. They basically try and keep us perpetually busy, which is good for some things but bad on others.

I loved Stroger, that's where I matched. If you're trying to maximize your potential though I'd rotate at a place with more spots. Lansing only has one per year. DMC and Einstein have three. I wasn't a huge fan of Lansing but that's because I'm a city person. I would die in a small town like that but others loved it, for each their own right? The hospital there is amazing though, and extremely well equipped with great attendings. I can't really comment on the other programs since I didn't rotate there.

Last edited:
I loved Stroger (call it Cook County though), that's where I matched. If you're trying to maximize your potential though I'd rotate at a place with more spots. Lansing only has one per year. DMC and Einstein have three. I wasn't a huge fan of Lansing but that's because I'm a city person. I would die in a small town like that but others loved it, for each their own right? The hospital there is amazing though.

Thanks. Did Cook County require a rotation in order to get an interview?