To be a Student Ambassador or not to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocVapor

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I got an email from my school's administration inviting me to become a Student Ambassador for the school. It would entail giving a presentation about the school at my alma-mater, a second presentation at another school in the area, and then participating in some sort of on-campus activity for prospective students.

They call it "volunteer" but offer $150 stipend after completing all the requirements - would barely pay for the gas, much less the hotel room(s) I would need.

They also didn't say anything about it, but I'm positive it would go on my dean's letter as well. Always a good thing to get on the administration's radar for positive reasons.

I'm not the absolutely most social person but I do love helping out those who are trying to make these big decisions. I will have to go to a required training in January, but I need to commit by Dec. 21.

Does anyone have experience doing this? If so, how was it handled? Did they give you the presentations that you had to follow, or were you required to make your own? How much of an expert on your school did you need to be?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I got an email from my school's administration inviting me to become a Student Ambassador for the school. It would entail giving a presentation about the school at my alma-mater, a second presentation at another school in the area, and then participating in some sort of on-campus activity for prospective students.

They call it "volunteer" but offer $150 stipend after completing all the requirements - would barely pay for the gas, much less the hotel room(s) I would need.

They also didn't say anything about it, but I'm positive it would go on my dean's letter as well. Always a good thing to get on the administration's radar for positive reasons.

I'm not the absolutely most social person but I do love helping out those who are trying to make these big decisions. I will have to go to a required training in January, but I need to commit by Dec. 21.

Does anyone have experience doing this? If so, how was it handled? Did they give you the presentations that you had to follow, or were you required to make your own? How much of an expert on your school did you need to be?

Thanks

I did this for LOCOM. I had a lot of fun with it. It's not that hard. I didn't do anything formal, talked about the journey. Mostly it was sitting with prospective students during their lunch interview and answered questions. Gave tours of the school. I tried to emphasize the positives of the school. They may give you a set presentation for your alma mater. I never had to do that but I did go on a few trips to other colleges in the area to talk about the medical school admission process and how to put together a good application.

It looks good on your resume. I received a small scholarship at the end of the year. Yes, it goes on your Dean's letter.

Thanks so much for the info.

I am leaning towards doing it after your advice. It would be fun to go back to my undergrad and see the place. Plus there is another college right next door so I might be able to get both presentations done back-to-back.

So I'll play the other side of this coin.......The fact that this may be in your deans letter will make NO difference in anything. Unless there is something significantly negative in your deans letter they make ZERO impact, regardless of what your school would like for you to believe.

If this is something that you just want to do, then by all means go have fun with it.

I have always found that anything organized by administration to be a real pain in the a**, so I do my best to lay low and stay away from them.