to chance it or reapply... that is my question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baby methuselah

booyakasha
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm scheduled to take the mcat tomorrow, but not feeling as confident as i thought i would.. (mainly b/c my last practice test cbt 10 was significantly lower than my 27-32 average over 5 tests). i've already submitted my aamcas and aacomas primaries, so i'm not sure whether i should go ahead and take it tomorrow (with the chance of getting a 24:mad:) or i should wait and take the mcat in jan of next app cycle. whatcha think? what will schools think if i never send in their secondaries and just apply later? would this technically be "re-applying"? everyone on here says "only take the mcat once"- is this because it sucks studying or because most schools only like to look at one score? a lot of re-takers i know said the schools they applied to only look at the highest score. ARRRGGGGHHHH!H!!!!!!! i'm frustrated!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the test tommorrow and see how you do. You can always retake in jan. It was just one test compared to a bunch around 30.

Just write it, you already paid lots of money.
If you don't do well, you can always retake it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree..take it, do you best, and don't let one bad practive test get you down too much. Today, take some deep breaths, relax, and do something fun. You won't manage to cram anything else into your head at this point, and I'm sure your brain needs a break, so now is the time to relax and get to bed early tonight.

From what I've read, sending in the primary is enough to make you a "re-applicant" at most schools next year.

Yup, Ookluh is right. Once you've sent in your primaries, you're already going to be a reapplicant if you withdraw. Might as well give it your best shot.

Also don't DO schools average around mid 20's MCAT anyway? I think even if you get a 24, you won't be overlooked if the rest of your application is strong.

agreed, DO average MCAT is around 25 ... plus you ALREADY applied, next year would make you a reapplicant

everyone on here says "only take the mcat once"- is this because it sucks studying or because most schools only like to look at one score? a lot of re-takers i know said the schools they applied to only look at the highest score.

Just to address this point hidden in your post -- most schools will look at the later score or the highest score (there's a recent thread which discusses which schools do which). However all schools will see all your scores. So a good score on retake will potentially never be equivalent to the same good score the first time out in some people's eyes. Thus you never want to wing it -- you want to get it right the first time, if at all possible, because it becomes part of your app.