To continue or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keep the baby?

• Yes

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters

Hapcando

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I would really appreciate some input and help on something!
My husband and I are both interns in the same IM Residency program and are halfway through our internship year. We basically are alone in the city with no family support whatsoever. And I just found out that I am pregnant (totally unplanned) and now we are debating whether or not to keep it. I mean if we go ahead we ll be in the middle of second year when the baby delivers and will both be second year residents . This all sounds just too impossible.

Any thoughts/suggestions????? Really need assistance!!

Members don't see this ad.

My husband and I are both interns in the same IM Residency program and are halfway through our internship year. We basically are alone in the city with no family support whatsoever. And I just found out that I am pregnant (totally unplanned) and now we are debating whether or not to keep it. I mean if we go ahead we ll be in the middle of second year when the baby delivers and will both be second year residents . This all sounds just too impossible.

Would advise against seeking this type of advise online...but on a side note as an adult heterosexual male who's been having sex for the past 20 years or so, I don't really get the concept of "unplanned" pregnancy, one is either bagged and practicing safe sex or at the very least one is directing their line of fire away from potential unwanted consequences.

Reactions: 1 user
Would advise against seeking this type of advise online...but on a side note as an adult heterosexual male who's been having sex for the past 20 years or so, I don't really get the concept of "unplanned" pregnancy, one is either bagged and practicing safe sex or at the very least one is directing their line of fire away from potential unwanted consequences.

As (presumably) a doctor, you should know that no form of contraception is 100% effective in practice.

(Inb4 abstinence)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No matter which part of residency or the situation you are in, I think you should keep that baby. I hope you a good parenting&medical career doctor:)

As (presumably) a doctor, you should know that no form of contraception is 100% effective in practice.
(Inb4 abstinence)

Radiologist so no, not a real doctor...several forms of contraception (pill, condoms) are pretty effective. Ovulation gives you a 12-24 hour window for fertilization per cycle. Guess my originally point was that the concept of "totally" unplanned pregnancies is BS, particularly when it involves (presumably) two physicians. For starters, try not to ejaculate directly inside your partner...

Reactions: 3 users
I was in a similar situation to you and for a while was torn about what to do. But something hit me and I knew I had to keep my baby, and am sooooo thankful i made that decision. You will love your baby so much that you will make it work I'm sure.

Residents have children all the time. It can be done. Both being in the same program, its unlikely that you would be on call together, so you have that to help. There are probably other residents that have children that you can talk with as well. You might find support that way that could help in watching the child when necessary. Sometimes the hospitals have daycare type services as well for their employees, though that wouldn't be the case everywhere.

I'd like to also state that as a couple making $80+k/yr you can easily afford childcare. By the time the baby is 2 you'll be makinig $400k+ or one of you can totally stay at home while your family makes $200k+. This is not remotely a hopeless situation. You can absolutely have this child and raise them well.

In the interest of putting my money where my mouth is, if after seeking counseling (and you should) you decide you simply aren't willing to raise a child...contact me and we can discuss setting up an adoption.

Reactions: 2 users
c) The thread title of "to continue or not" was misleading enough to make me click on this thread to see if it was about someone quitting intern year. I smell troll.

There is a "keep the baby?" poll at the top of the page. Yeah. That's a suitable decision making tool for the situation at hand.

OP is clearly either a troll or a completely crazy person. Either way, I'm out.

Reactions: 1 users
Abort! Abort!

You can always have another when you both finish residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Radiologist so no, not a real doctor...several forms of contraception (pill, condoms) are pretty effective. Ovulation gives you a 12-24 hour window for fertilization per cycle. Guess my originally point was that the concept of "totally" unplanned pregnancies is BS, particularly when it involves (presumably) two physicians. For starters, try not to ejaculate directly inside your partner...

So I guess you don't know that the w/d method is not that reliable of a method of contraception?
Plus it's way better for both partners if you do, usually
Condoms break, Plan B isn't 100%, so who knows how their contraception managed to fail
Maybe, gasp, with the stresses of residency someone forgot to take their pills? Maybe they got loaded, like blackout drunk and forgot they weren't supposed to do it and did it anyway, and didn't even know they did, haha
Maybe she's gone into a fugue state off/on, or has multiple personality disorder and doesn't know one of the other personalities really wanted a baby and has been f*ing with the BC, taking a needle to the condoms, taking abx to decrease pill effectiveness?
Maybe she's on progesterone only pills 2/2 a previous unprovoked DVT making estrogen contraindicated, and in my ob rotation they told us you have like a 2 hr window to take that **** daily or it no work very good
Even with an IUD you can get pregnant, now I don't know for sure but I think the IUD can be removed and the pregnancy continued under certain circumstances, and who's to say there weren't contraindications to IUD in OP? Some uterii just won't keep them, they keep cramping them right out, and both types of IUD hormonal or not can have side effects
(maybe it's becoming apparent what field I'm in? that was a pretty zebra-tastic ddx on unplanned pregnancy)

I'd like to also state that as a couple making $80+k/yr you can easily afford childcare. By the time the baby is 2 you'll be makinig $400k+ or one of you can totally stay at home while your family makes $200k+. This is not remotely a hopeless situation. You can absolutely have this child and raise them well.

In the interest of putting my money where my mouth is, if after seeking counseling (and you should) you decide you simply aren't willing to raise a child...contact me and we can discuss setting up an adoption.

Yeah you can afford child care, which is who will be raising your child for you while you both work 80 hr/wk.
Not trying to be mean. Do what you gotta. But seriously you will not see much of this kid in residency and this is going to be a lot of work

I planned on NOT having a baby during residency for that reason, but I guess you're beyond that advice now, but you clearly wanted people's thoughts on what doing this might look like
I can't offer personal experience on raising kids in residency

I know a few people that quit residency because having a baby during residency was too much
And others that had preggo probs that made them leave
and dying during pregnancy or delivery is a possibility, in which case you wouldn't finish residency

also though, that if you abort you may regret that forever for a lot of reasons
I think I would come to hate medicine if I felt like that was what I did it for

I also know of residents that made this work, but usually they weren't in the same year, or they were in less harsh more baby friendly residencies
Anyone I know that did the baby thing in residency had to learn to be FAST with work, although that doesn't always mean coming home sooner, depends on the program

it makes sense to ask other residents their thoughts on this, we are familiar with the workplace

and maybe you can share custody with sb247, they can hold your baby for you for the next few years and then maybe he gets every other weekend and some vacations with the kid after your residency

I probably added some true statements and also bull**** jokes

I want to defend you as far as this being unplanned, life happens, you don't deserve **** from strangers about your pregnancy just well intentioned advice

I'm very sorry that you're faced with what I know is a very difficult situation and being a resident is just awful anyway

Counseling is a good idea. You may not want to talk with friends or family at this point (which might explain why they're here on the forum) until you've figured this out, or you may want their support or counsel
some women choose not to talk reveal a pregnancy to some people until after the first trimester becuz of the not rare rate of miscarriage up to that point, if something like that happens (can be hard to go through) they would rather not have questions about what happened to the pregnancy in that case

And I second what people here say, most parents are grateful for their children no matter what happens

I wish you well