To current orthodontists...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you regret your decision to become an orthodontist given the saturated field it has become? Do any of you wished you would have stayed as a gp and just learned some ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

Ortho saturated compared to GPs? Orthodontists have it made.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ortho saturated compared to GPs? Orthodontists have it made.

I don't know, I keep hearing story after story of no patients, low fees, can't pay overhead, bankruptcy, and ortho being not what it once was. I am applying for ortho now, but I keep getting torn on it. Maybe in just over thinking it all. I'd be happier as an ortho, but not if I'm making much less than I am now.

no patients/clients, lower fees, overhead, bankruptcy is part of every business….if you want to make real money that is what you will deal with as an owner and competition. If you don't want to make real money and deal with all that be an associate…real money being over 250-300k

I don't know, I keep hearing story after story of no patients, low fees, can't pay overhead, bankruptcy, and ortho being not what it once was. I am applying for ortho now, but I keep getting torn on it. Maybe in just over thinking it all. I'd be happier as an ortho, but not if I'm making much less than I am now.

Orthodontists have taken a hit with the economy. There is no doubt about that. Parents are saying that little johnny can wait another year or two to get braces. It is YOUR job to get creative and market appropriately. For instance, maybe have a plan where you can get braces on a kid for $500 down. ECT ECT

Do I regret my decision, No. I love being an orthodontist. I would DIE if I had to do another endo/restorative procedure ever again even if it meant I would make more money. If you like the concept of orthodontics, go to residency. If you want to learn how to do orthodontics CORRECTLY, go to residency. Be prepared to add 250,000 to your student loans if not more. Yes, the market is saturated in some areas. If you are set only living in a specific place I would seriously consider the orthodontic market when making your decision. If you are willing to go anywhere, even somewhere rural, and are willing to take medicaid, you will be fine. If you want to do orthodontics only for the money, you may be disappointed. When you get out of residency, few well paying associateships exist. Most of my co-residents made 150,000 for 4 days a week. You can always start your own, or buy a practice, but that is another conversation.