To experimental psychology or not...long, please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nevermind

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
The curriculum of a PhD in experimental psychology will be very general because that is not the focus-research is. They are looking for people with a research interest in line with one of their faculty, whose lab you will work in for all of grad school. What does that mean for you? They are looking for people to commit full time to doing research and who are looking for a career in academia afterwards. They are likely looking for people who want to do research first, teaching second, and any side careers rarely or ever. I see your biggest struggle as convincing them that you are serious given your change in career and desire to continue practicing as a psych np. You also will need more focused research interests and likely more research experience in the area you are interested in studying to have a shot.

Reactions: 1 user
So, are you looking to (after getting the experimental psychology degree) do primarily research and teaching or do you want to do psychiatric nursing most/full-time and just, I dunno, do some teaching/research on the side or in addition to your clinical practice? If you just want the knowledge, I would recommend at least first just getting ahold of the syllabi from an experimental psych program (you can probably get them on the web) and read the primary sources yourself. I agree with the other poster that you'll have a really tough time convincing the program to accept you if you are just wanting to pursue the degree to expand your horizons generally as a psychiatric nurse practitioner or to satisfy your intellectual interests (although I do admire this, in principle, and think it's really cool).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your wife must have the patience of Saint. There is no way I could get away with all that career switching and indecisiveness. And is she a banker or surgeon or something?

Good thoughts thanks. I'm working on the research and have amassed quite a collection of publications from which I have written several papers and presentations. I have some original research that I'd like to pursue in addition. Much of it seems pursuable as psychological research. I wouldn't, however, be a full-time student or researcher. Academia? Maybe later. The general curriculum and research opportunities seem so savory in experimental psychology, but you raise a good point. I know what will pay the bills best, and it's not research psychology.

Awesome...best of luck to you!

All of healthcare appears to be in flux right now...who knows what the future will bring in terms of mental health treatment specifically (including both psychotherapy and psychopharmacology). I would think than anyone (regardless of particular degree pathways they chose) who could get a good sense of mastery regarding the biological, experimental, and social/psychological determinants of behavior would be in a good position to be a part of the future of it all. But, as you and others have stated, this may not immediately (or ultimately) directly translate into $.

Why not take classes as a non degree seeking student. I know some states psychologist boards accept such credits towards ce credits. It would be cheaper and you would have the freedom to learn what you want.

Alternately, there are many EdD programs for professionals like you. Johnny Hopkins even has an online program. This would be great for teaching purposes.