To gap year, or not to gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gap year?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

DrPresident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooooooo, that new MCAT in 2015? Yeah, that's really screwing with me.

So I decided to begin my application process, and came to find out that the new MCAT 2015 doesn't actually start until April (correct me if I'm wrong), and I wouldn't have time to begin my studies for the last MCAT in January, if there's even a spot left for me to snag. Now, I guess I didn't really think about this very well until now, and maybe it's too late for poor ol' me to manage to not take a gap year.

I had a little bump my freshman year, with a cumulative GPA of about 3.0, sGPA being similar. Now, I've gotten over that bump (ROTC) and in all of my fun higher level courses, including orgo, I've done well and my GPA after this semester (junior year, 1st semester), will be around 3.4 (cumulative and science about the same). The remainder of my junior year and senior year will only increase it further (expecting ~3.5 or 3.6 c/sGPA). I was very confident in myself taking the MCAT until I remembered that it's being changed. So, if everything plays out nicely and I begin studying in about a month, and I take the new scary MCAT, well I would probably be okay to apply in June.

But, how long does it take to get scores? From what I can tell, it takes a little bit, and I probably would only have time to take the MCAT that one time before applications open. I don't doubt my abilities to achieve admission somewhere based on my sharp upward trend, but I would really like to apply early (i.e. June 1st) to give me the best chances, and I will probably have to take the MCAT more than once.

So this long, probably annoying story begs the commonly asked question:

Should I take a gap year?

I'd really appreciate some input from some of you guys who may be going through, or have gone through, the same thing. I'd like to not only give myself the best chances of admission but also avoid the possibility of needing to reapply.

Thank you all in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

Taking MCAT in April is a non-issue as it takes a month for score to arrive. Although it might take a little longer due to the first administration of MCAT 2015.

Basically whether to take or not to take a gap year depends on whether you will be prepared to take the new MCAT in April/May of next year.

You have to take a gap year; that is not even a question since it is too late now to apply. If I am you, I will register for MCAT test in both April and June 2014 (in case you need to retake since you will get the first score by May). Both test dates allow you plenty of time to apply but remember to submit your application first and update the MCAT score later to save time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking MCAT in April is a non-issue as it takes a month for score to arrive. Although it might take a little longer due to the first administration of MCAT 2015.

Basically whether to take or not to take a gap year depends on whether you will be prepared to take the new MCAT in April/May of next year.

What about the GPA situation? It's a little low competitively, and my senior year will help that. Is that a reason to wait, or do admissions people kinda just know that intuitively?

You have to take a gap year; that is not even a question since it is too late now to apply. If I am you, I will register for MCAT test in both April and June 2014 (in case you need to retake since you will get the first score by May). Both test dates allow you plenty of time to apply but remember to submit your application first and update the MCAT score later to save time.

You misunderstand. I wouldn't apply until 2015. If I take a gap year, I would apply in 2016.

You already know what our answer would be... lol.

"Apply when you're ready."

Get your GPA up, study enough to butcher mcat practice tests, and commit to ECs. When you've got everything in check, THEN apply.

There's no real benefit to getting into medical school a year earlier.

There are far more benefits to applying a year later (higher chance of acceptance, better school choices, etc).