to pad...or not to pad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jthomp26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm technically a Junior right now, but the two years I've already completed are NOTHING but general education stuff and credits I got from the military.

I'm signing up for classes and my situation looks like this...

I am about to finish Bio I and Gen Chem I. I can't take any other Chemistry or Biology courses until I complete Bio II and Gen Chem II. The only other pre-req's I need are physics classes, which I can't take until I take calculus, which I'm taking in the winter.

So next semester looks like this..

Gen Chem II w/ lab
Bio II w/lab
Calculus

So my question is...since I can't take any more courses that I NEED, should I take some random class so I'm taking more than 12 credits....or do D schools really not even look at how "big" your course-load is relative to the credit hours?

I would assume they would care more about the classes you take than the credits you take, but I have also read on here that they want to make sure you're able to handle a "full course load."

If I took basket-weaving would they say "oh he got a 4.0 taking 16 credits" or would they say "oh this ***** took basket-weaving"

Members don't see this ad.

My semesters were never fully science but I suggest that you always take a full course load.. at least 15 credits. I am taking a random class right now (ceramics) but that can be seen as a way to improve hand eye coordination.
Why not take a humanities of social science course: psychology, sociology, philosophy, religion, music, etc?

My semesters were never fully science but I suggest that you always take a full course load.. at least 15 credits. I am taking a random class right now (ceramics) but that can be seen as a way to improve hand eye coordination.
Why not take a humanities of social science course: psychology, sociology, philosophy, religion, music, etc?

that's one hell of an organic chem score on your DAT

I second the humanities, make sure it's something low stress with an easy professor though. Calc, Gchem, and Bio are not the most student friendly classes (at least not at my school).