To peek or not to peek -- advice for future applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elisabeth Kate

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think we, the class of 2014, were in a unique position this year. I believe we're the only class in the history of the match that had members get a peek at where they matched prior to the big reveal. Putting aside all the moans and groans about how drawn out the process is and if there should be any lag time between finding out you matched and finding out where, just answer this if you sneaked a peek: do you regret peeking on Tuesday? If you had the chance to go back, would you do it again?

Edited. Thanks for the correction. Never said I was good at spelling.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think we, the class of 2014, were in a unique position this year. I believe we're the only class in the history of the match that had members get a peak at where they matched prior to the big reveal. Putting aside all the moans and groans about how drawn out the process is and if there should be any lag time between finding out you matched and finding out where, just answer this if you sneaked a peak: do you regret peaking on Tuesday? If you had the chance to go back, would you do it again?

I think they should re-run the whole thing and see if results come out the same honeslty. Call me crazy, but to me, it seems like a lot of people ended up lower on their lists than they normally would.

I also think it's a great opportunity to advocate for a change of the process. Way too long and drawn out. While it's unfortunate that some people have to SOAP there is no reason why results should not be released on the *Match Monday* with people who need to SOAP continuing the process as normal.

Results aren't released on Monday because schools want to have their Match Day ceremonies and they want to wait to do that with the SOAPers. But I'm confused. You think there's been a mistake because people ended up lower on their lists? I don't see any more posts than usual about people who matched low on their list. Many people got their #1. Anyway, what would that have to do with Tuesday's sneak peek?

Reactions: 2 users
Results aren't released on Monday because schools want to have their Match Day ceremonies and they want to wait to do that with the SOAPers. But I'm confused. You think there's been a mistake because people ended up lower on their lists? I don't see any more posts than usual about people who matched low on their list. Many people got their #1. Anyway, what would that have to do with Tuesday's sneak peek?

I personally feel that the glitch that lead to the early release of results could have also affected the results imo. I also think that I would have peeked, but I personally feel concerned that something might have gotten screwed up during the process.

The mistake was that the coders of the webpage accidentally included some bits of code that were supposed to be revealed at 1pm on Friday, but were included before then. The webpage itself wouldn't have displayed that information, but was easily found in the web page's source code. It would NOT have had any effect on the match results. Zero effect. Re-running the match wouldn't have changed things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I peeked. I'm really glad to have the opportunity to look in private because there were several huge drop-offs on my list, and I would have been pretty upset without going that far down (I wanted very badly to go to a "top" program and very badly to go to a specific location, and would very quickly have had to sacrifice one or the other). I was very fortunate, and surprisingly it did not diminish at ALL* from the excitement on match day because it didn't feel final until I was able to confirm it with the envelope (even if objectively it was an accurate result). Partying and hearing all my friends go to awesome places was incredible.

*I don't think it did, but to be fair I haven't experienced it both ways.

I peeked and would again. It gave me the flexibility to control how I want to reveal the results.

I don't see the applicability of it to future applicants though. Can't see the NRMP screwing up again.

I regret peeking because it ruined one hell of a surprise that I would have never expected, getting my #1 pick.... Seeing it within the lines of code on Monday, my first reaction was "This can't be right"... then I called others and compared results.... went online and read about other experiences, and within a few hours I got kinda confirmed it's 99.99% true. But having it happen over that time was different than the BOOM effect it would have had on my on Friday.

That said, it might have spared me an ulcer over the week, and the extreme agitation/anxiety I would have had.

I think those of you who peeked will never really know the experience, highs and lows, that occur on match day. You lost out on one of the big experiences of med school. Yes you got to avoid a week of ulcers and maybe you got a lite sense of what it would be like by pretending that maybe it wasn't real until you actually held the envelope. But life is about experiences and building memories and you guys kind of lost out on a nice one.

Reactions: 4 users
I think those of you who peeked will never really know the experience, highs and lows, that occur on match day. You lost out on one of the big experiences of med school. Yes you got to avoid a week of ulcers and maybe you got a lite sense of what it would be like by pretending that maybe it wasn't real until you actually held the envelope. But life is about experiences and building memories and you guys kind of lost out on a nice one.

I agree. I did NOT peek and I'm so glad I didn't. Finding out where I am going in front of my classmates and faculty and with my wife at our match day ceremony was a moment I won't forget. It was definitely an emotional high. Had I found out earlier it would not have been nearly as exciting. Not knowing where I would end up before opening the envelope made finding out that I matched at my #1 that much sweeter.

Match day is what you're working toward throughout all of medical school. For people who looked: was it really worth taking the surprise out of that moment so that you could know a couple of days earlier? Did you really have that little self-control?

I agree. I did NOT peek and I'm so glad I didn't. Finding out where I am going in front of my classmates and faculty and with my wife at our match day ceremony was a moment I won't forget. It was definitely an emotional high. Had I found out earlier it would not have been nearly as exciting. Not knowing where I would end up before opening the envelope made finding out that I matched at my #1 that much sweeter.

Match day is what you're working toward throughout all of medical school. For people who looked: was it really worth taking the surprise out of that moment so that you could know a couple of days earlier? Did you really have that little self-control?

Right. It would be like trying to watch a March Madness game or other sporting event (which you had bet a lot on) the next morning after already knowing who won. It will never be as exciting as real time. You have lost the fun and emotions of experiencing the real thing.

This won't happen next year -- I suspect the programmers who screwed up aren't getting another opportunity, and that's going to be a specific screw up that won't be missed in future iterations of the software (they mAy screw up the match some other way, but they won't make the same mistake).

If you applied to more than one specialty, it's worth it to peek. I applied for 2 specialties and was extremely happy I was able to see my result early since I had gotten my #2 specialty. It gave me time to get over the feeling of not matching into my dream specialty and accept that I can still have a great career with where I'm going. By match day, I was able to go out with my classmates in good spirits and have a good time. If I hadn't peeked, I'd imagine it would have been horrifying to go up on stage on match day, open my envelope in front of everyone, react with that initial disappointment/frustration, and be met with blank stares and pity instead of being congratulated by my peers.

I didn't peek because I found out too late, but I have a couple of friends who did, and did not end up with their first, or second, or even third choice. They appreciated the early heads up because it allowed them to process the disappointment and actually get excited about everyone's matches come Match Day. I know a few people who found out on Friday that they dropped lower on their list than they anticipated, and it was very difficult for them to get excited about others matching to their number 1 slots.

Like the poor girl crying her eyes out with her parent's because she matched so far down her list? Or the destroyed couple that didn't end up matching together? Fun and exciting for me to watch evolve in real time, YES. But fun for them to experience in public? Ehhhhhh

I couldn't agree more with this. I go to a DO school so my match day was finding out on a couch with my wife and mother in law and opening a bottle of champagne. I matched at my number 2 but it was my number 1 for most of the ranking process so I was happy but I can't imagine having to go up in front of everyone and announce where I matched even if it was good. I hate being the center of attention and if I found out I matched all the way down my list I would want to walk off stage and that creates such and awkward situation for the whole room! It's horrifying.

I by the way did not catch the glitch in time but I would have looked in a heart beat.

In general, it seems that the people who wish they wouldn't have looked early are the people who ended up getting one of their top choices for residency. The people who are glad they looked early are the people who either didn't get their #1 specialty or ended up a little bit further down their rank list than expected.

I couldn't agree more. I think anyone who peeked early missed out on what was, in my opinion, the most memorable experience of medical school.

I didn't peek only because I found out too late. Finding out on Monday would have made NO difference for me. I simply would have told my family and friends on Monday. Monday was the big day for me because there was a significant possibility I wouldn't match. Learning that I matched relieved A LOT of my stress since I wouldn't have to go through SOAP or ask the writers of my LORs to repeat the process again next year. I am a previous graduate and very far removed from the medical school match ceremony as well. For me, I would have rather had the extra 4 days to plan out the next few years. Perhaps even schedule a BLS re-certification course during match week. I learned later though but I am not worse for it.

Last edited:
I'd rather not experience a LOW in public. I'm sure the breakout of folks who regretted/non-regretted peeking is similar to the NRMP's data of applicants who matched into their 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/>4th choice. The happier you are with your match, the more you regret peeking.

I didn't peek only because I found out too late. Finding out on Monday would have made NO difference for me. I simply would have told my family and friends later. I am a previous graduate and very far removed from the medical school match ceremony. For me, I would have rather had the extra 4 days to plan out the next few years. I learned later though but I am not worse for it.
I'm in the same situation. Actually matching on Monday into any program was the big day for me as I liked all the programs and was excited that I matched into my chosen specialty. It would have been nice to have know physically where my match was located to help get a start on planning. It's kinda sad that some programs don't do a ceremony at all. It was a lot of fun at my medical school match ceremony, though I was devastated where I matched at the time my friends and family were there.

I'm in the same situation. Actually matching on Monday into any program was the big day for me as I liked all the programs and was excited that I matched into my chosen specialty. It would have been nice to have know physically where my match was located to help get a start on planning. It's kinda sad that some programs don't do a ceremony at all. It was a lot of fun at my medical school match ceremony, though I was devastated where I matched at the time my friends and family were there.
You feel the same way? Weren't you the one driving that 'ethics' discussion in the other thread? Glad you came around. LOL

I fell down my rank list and wished I would have taken a peek . I would have but found out too late. There were a handful of people at my school for which match day was a bad day for them. For the majority of people who matched at the top of their list, it was a great day and match traditions are great. For those of us who had to leave the room, or for those who found out they had not matched into their dream specialty and had to announce it that same second... not so great.

It has been 2 days since match day and the disappointment and shock are beginning to wear off. If I had known earlier and had a few days to process it I may have been able to enjoy match day but instead I felt depressed and humiliated and I wasn't the only one.

Hence, I am not a fan of match day and those that are probably got what they wanted. But for the future classes, any one of them can be the handful of people who are disappointed, and why would they want to put themselves through this?

I think they should re-run the whole thing and see if results come out the same honeslty. Call me crazy, but to me, it seems like a lot of people ended up lower on their lists than they normally would.

I also think it's a great opportunity to advocate for a change of the process. Way too long and drawn out. While it's unfortunate that some people have to SOAP there is no reason why results should not be released on the *Match Monday* with people who need to SOAP continuing the process as normal.

Everybody I've talked to at my school matched into on of their top 3 except for the couple that had to SOAP (after applying to very competitive fields), and friends of mine at other schools noted that their classmates also did very well. I'm sorry to hear that your school did not follow this trend, but I do not think it was a nationwide phenomenon and perhaps your class should encourage your school to figure out the reason it happened to you (assuming it's not a yearly trend). Good advising can go a long way to ensuring you apply, interview, and rank appropriately -- are there ways in which your advising lacked? Do they need to help with interview skills? Were they bad at letting people know when they weren't competitive?
If you class as a whole is disappointed, it would be wonderful to do something constructive about it that would save later classes the same pain.

If match were released on Monday, then everybody would know who had to SOAP, so it would be (1) extra humiliating for some people, and (2) you would be more likely to know who within your residency program SOAP-ed into a vacancy and that would potentially stigmatize them (the way it used to be awful pre-match days to know that you were a low choice for your program or that your program knew you were hoping to go somewhere else).

I think it's more than a handful of people that feel somewhat disappointed with their match. EVERYONE wants to go to their #1, obviously, and not getting that is going to be disappointing, even if you only drop to #2 or #3. I'm not trying to say we all deserve to go to our number 1, or that you should cry for us, I'm just saying that anything else, by nature of not being #1, just isn't quite as good.

How many friends had matched to their home programs, hoping to move on? How many people faked excitement to their peers?

Match day is amazing for a subsection of one population of medical school. Gunners. (Many) Gunners have great match days. When they match well, they let everyone know how well they matched. Congratulations.

I think you are misusing the term "gunner". It's not someone who works hard and does well. Gunners like to try and achieve by stepping on the heads of others. But as they tend not to be the smartest or highest achieving of the group, they probably experience the gamut of emotions on match day that everyone else does. (although they are probably more inappropriately focused on the successes and failures of others than themselves).

Regardless, i think good or bad, successful or not, the match is actually a pretty big part of the med school experience. Yes you can end up disappointed. The whole range of emotion will be seen if everyone is surprised. And yes its a better experience for some to be sharing than others -- but its still a big experience. That's the reason schools even have a match day. Administratively you could certainly just quietly get an email or letter from NRMP, but the whole tradition emerged because people generally like the suspense and shared experience, even if the results aren't ultimately ideal for everyone. And if people have four days to wrap their minds around their results, good or bad, the shared experience and elations/devastations are all gone. It becomes a very miktoast ceremony -- just another event, not the big deal prior years experienced.

I also must admit that i never will really truly understand why someone would cry about matching into a program they know that they ranked. You put it down, you know theres a chance you will end up there. Yes they perhaps were hoping for better, but a lot if us would come into that auditorium with the mindset of expecting to get something at the bottom of our rank list; if you do this you can only either get exactly what you expected or better. The psyche of someone who will rank a dozen programs but not contemplating actually not getting beyond their top choice is always going to be a bit foreign to me. And presumably to the people that instilled match day as a big med school event.

Reactions: 1 users
A friend of mine found out on Monday that he matched way down on his list. He was quite upset about where he matched, especially since he had recieved a few 'ranked to match' emails from several of his top choices. He didn't go to match day and I can't even imagine what it would have been like to find out you matched near the bottom of your list in front of everyone.

Would you have been so happy to do that in public if you matched to your last choice program? If you loved all the programs on your list, then I guess try and put yourself in the shoes of people who were dreading the bottom ranks of their lists. If you realistically felt that was a possibility, would you really want that surprise in front of hundred of other people . . . or in the comfort of your home?

I'd rather not experience a LOW in public. I'm sure the breakout of folks who regretted/non-regretted peeking is similar to the NRMP's data of applicants who matched into their 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/>4th choice. The happier you are with your match, the more you regret peeking.

I matched to my #2, and I didn't find out in time to peek, but I would still peek in a heartbeat. The furthest down my list I could go was my home institution (only #7), and it would have been extremely awkward to be/look so disappointed in front of the faculty who I'd be working with for the next 4 years and among many classmates who matched to our home program (which has many fields in which the program is stronger), including the 2 who matched in my field and were happy with it -- I mean, how would it feel for my future co-residents to see my crying/upset about a program that was their #1 or 2? I think that a lot of the people who are saying peekers missed out aren't thinking about the totally legitimate negatives of finding out on match day.

Would you have been so happy to do that in public if you matched to your last choice program? If you loved all the programs on your list, then I guess try and put yourself in the shoes of people who were dreading the bottom ranks of their lists. If you realistically felt that was a possibility, would you really want that surprise in front of hundred of other people . . . or in the comfort of your home?

If you ranked a program you viewed it as better than the alternative. If it's something you are going to cry about, then you probably should have had the mindset that that's what you are getting well before the match, and come to terms with that. That way the match is either neutral or positive. The people who get upset are those that really didn't set their expectations For the lowest realistic possibility.

If you ranked a program you viewed it as better than the alternative. If it's something you are going to cry about, then you probably should have had the mindset that that's what you are getting well before the match, and come to terms with that. That way the match is either neutral or positive. The people who get upset are those that really didn't set their expectations For the lowest realistic possibility.

Jeez. That seems rather harsh -- if you cried, it's your own fault for not setting your expectations low enough? It's not all about expectations but also hope, and that's hard to squash even when you're expecting the worst.

Jeez. That seems rather harsh -- if you cried, it's your own fault for not setting your expectations low enough? It's not all about expectations but also hope, and that's hard to squash even when you're expecting the worst.

I don't think it's harsh at all. You rank a dozen places, you wrap your head around getting number 12 shortly after you submit the match list and ideally convince yourself that's where you are probably going. the guy/gal who does this is always happy on match day.

On match day you find out that a program wants you. Maybe a lot. Not really something to cry about even if you had high hopes for another.

I don't think it's harsh at all. You rank a dozen places, you wrap your head around getting number 12 shortly after you submit the match list and ideally convince yourself that's where you are probably going. the guy/gal who does this is always happy on match day.

I guess you're a better human being than many of us. Fortunately I did not have to find out, but no matter how prepared I was to match to my lower choices, I suspect that seeing so many classmates celebrating a match into their top few would have been a difficult test that I'd be likely to fail. I would expect there may be a big difference based on the medical school one attends -- some places nearly everybody is matching to a top rank (many of which programs are impressive) while others commonly have students going far down the list. At the latter type of institution, I think hope doesn't run as deep . . . and it'd be a lot easier to mentally prepare and keep composure with x% of my classmates doing it alongside me than it would be to do it essentially alone among 170 thrilled people.

I guess you're a better human being than many of us. Fortunately I did not have to find out, but no matter how prepared I was to match to my lower choices, I suspect that seeing so many classmates celebrating a match into their top few would have been a difficult test that I'd be likely to fail. I would expect there may be a big difference based on the medical school one attends -- some places nearly everybody is matching to a top rank (many of which programs are impressive) while others commonly have students going far down the list. At the latter type of institution, I think hope doesn't run as deep . . . and it'd be a lot easier to mentally prepare and keep composure with x% of my classmates doing it alongside me than it would be to do it essentially alone among 170 thrilled people.

In my experience most peoples expectations were largely reset based on the interviews they got -- those who struggled to get great interviews didn't come in thinking their top choice was anything other than a longshot.

But again, match day is about finding which program wants you. Programs spend a lot of time considering applicants and would be mortified to think that someone they thought highly enough to rank well was crying about the thought of training with them. It should feel good to be wanted even if it's not your dream. Only in this warped med school world is finding out that a training program with far more applicants than spots wanted you a low point in your life.

I woke up pretty late that morning ;) (by then NRMP had already fixed the glitch) so I didn't get to see where I matched. But I probably would've waited until Friday. I matched at my #2 but in the end, my #2 is more like my #1 because I kept changing my top 3 choices on my rank list.

If I was disappointed in my match, it's only due to the location and being away from friends and family. All of the programs I interviewed at and ranked were programs that I actually liked from a resident, program, and attending standpoint. The order of my rank list mostly was based on geography than anything, with just some slight differences in which I thought would be a better training program. I'd be happy to be at any one of them, just maybe slightly disappointed that they weren't in the location I wanted as I'd be away from friends and family for an extended period of time. As things get more competitive and more and more medical students don't even get to practice medicine at all (i.e. they can't get into a categorical position anywhere, or in some circumstances can't even get into an internship), some people will just be glad they get to practice medicine in the field of their choice.

In my experience most peoples expectations were largely reset based on the interviews they got -- those who struggled to get great interviews didn't come in thinking their top choice was anything other than a longshot.

But again, match day is about finding which program wants you. Programs spend a lot of time considering applicants and would be mortified to think that someone they thought highly enough to rank well was crying about the thought of training with them. It should feel good to be wanted even if it's not your dream. Only in this warped med school world is finding out that a training program with far more applicants than spots wanted you a low point in your life.

Do you have to ruin every Match Day thread by telling us what horrible people we are over and over again? People spend 8 years working toward one goal. They have a right to be upset immediately after finding out their dream program rejected them. No one should feel guilty for expressing a perfectly normal human emotion -- disappointment.

Would still do it. Gave me an extra week to begin planning.

I think in an anonymous forum, people are more open to express how they feel about their match as nobody will know who they are. I doubt people would complain publicly about where they ranked. It's human nature to be disappointed. Nothing wrong with that. Just realize that there are some that didn't match at all and their dreams are in shatters on the floor.

I think in an anonymous forum, people are more open to express how they feel about their match as nobody will know who they are. I doubt people would complain publicly about where they ranked. It's human nature to be disappointed. Nothing wrong with that. Just realize that there are some that didn't match at all and their dreams are in shatters on the floor.

Exactly.

Do you have to ruin every Match Day thread by telling us what horrible people we are over and over again? People spend 8 years working toward one goal. They have a right to be upset immediately after finding out their dream program rejected them. No one should feel guilty for expressing a perfectly normal human emotion -- disappointment.

First, this is hardly "every match day". This discussion is about a one time event where the NRMP screwed up and let a fraction of seniors peek. Second, most didn't work 8 years working toward this goal. The vast majority didn't even choose a specialty until mid third year, about a year ago. Third, while disappointment is a normal emotion I think you need to take a step back and realize that your disappointment kind of $&@#s on the program that probably is excited to have grabbed you off their rank list, and the probably large group of people that were lower on that programs rank list than you that you bumped off the list (let alone the people who would have been happy to match anywhere at all). This program some are crying about was someone else's dream program they didn't get.

Lets have some perspective. To an outsider this all looks like the guy who wins $1000 in lotto and cries that he didn't have the $10,000 ticket.

First, this is hardly "every match day". This discussion is about a one time event where the NRMP screwed up and let a fraction of seniors peek. Second, most didn't work 8 years working toward this goal. The vast majority didn't even choose a specialty until mid third year, about a year ago. Third, while disappointment is a normal emotion I think you need to take a step back and realize that your disappointment kind of $&@#s on the program that probably is excited to have grabbed you off their rank list, and the probably large group of people that were lower on that programs rank list than you that you bumped off the list (let alone the people who would have been happy to match anywhere at all). This program some are crying about was someone else's dream program they didn't get.

Lets have some perspective. To an outsider this all looks like the guy who wins $1000 in lotto and cries that he didn't have the $10,000 ticket.
At one of our post-match parties we had one student complaining about getting their #2 choice within earshot of someone who ranked that program #1 and did not match there. Classy.

First, this is hardly "every match day". This discussion is about a one time event where the NRMP screwed up and let a fraction of seniors peek.

I said every Match Day THREAD. Seems to me that every Match Day thread this year, you're there posting that people are wrong to feel the way they feel, whether it's about being disappointed about their match, being excited about Monday of Match Week, etc. You even got bent out of shape about people calling it Match Monday. It is permissible to have an unexpressed thought, you know.

Second, most didn't work 8 years working toward this goal. The vast majority didn't even choose a specialty until mid third year, about a year ago

I didn't say they worked toward a specific program/field for 8 years. I said they worked toward this goal (i.e. Match Day) for 8 years. Everyone wants their number 1. It's okay to be disappointed if you don't get it. No one needs to be made to feel guilty about that.

Third, while disappointment is a normal emotion I think you need to take a step back and realize that your disappointment kind of $&@#s on the program that probably is excited to have grabbed you off their rank list, and the probably large group of people that were lower on that programs rank list than you that you bumped off the list (let alone the people who would have been happy to match anywhere at all). This program some are crying about was someone else's dream program they didn't get

First of all, I'm happy about my match so none of this applies to me. But don't think that programs don't express disappointment when someone they wanted ends up some place else. We ALL know they do. It doesn't mean they're pissed about who they got. It just means they're disappointed they didn't get the one that got away. The same goes for applicants. Someone disappointed/crying about not getting the program they wanted doesn't mean they're pissed about what they got. It just means they're disappointed because they would have rather had some place else. That is perfectly reasonable and part of being human.

Fortunately, neither Match Day ceremonies nor SDN are frequented by "outsiders".

At one of our post-match parties we had one student complaining about getting their #2 choice within earshot of someone who ranked that program #1 and did not match there. Classy.

And I'm sure the person who ranked that program #1 complained at some point about the program he/she DID match at, not taking into account that others ranked that program #1 and didn't match there.

And I'm sure the person who ranked that program #1 complained at some point about the program he/she DID match at, not taking into account that others ranked that program #1 and didn't match there.
Nothing wrong with a little bit of complaining. Of course a program was your #1 for a reason. Just know your audience.

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif