To postpone or not to postpone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prepharmsofar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I already postponed once because I had a lot of stuff going on and also was an idiot for initially not studying properly. Now my exam is in a week and I've wasted the past few days on ID and not only am I not retaining anything but I'm only on the second chapter of ID. I think I'll skipp id, do whatever else, then do qbank for ID. i havent touched the major topics yet like htn dm hld anticoag all of which come after ID. I already postponed once and I feel like im just never goin to take this test, but at the same time I'm scared I'll have to wait 3 months if i fail. Should I postpone again?

Members don't see this ad.

Well ultimately the decision is up to you and how you think you really feel about how prepared you are for the test. I'd say that for many people they go into the test not feeling ready - I think it's hard to ever get to a point where you would feel 100% ready (at least not with an exorbitant commitment of time - and I feel at some point you're just going to have to take the test).

I took the test at the end of July and literally got 1-3 questions each on HTN, DM, HLD so I'd say to not focus super in-depth on a single topic - though good to keep in mind that everyone's test is different. (And as everyone says, MATH = IMPORTANT)

Reactions: 1 user
I would say it depends on other stuff in your life. Do you have a job lined up? Do you have to be licensed by a certain time for said job? Based on what I consider to be prepared (for my own sanity and confidence), you don't sound too prepared. However, that's ultimately up to you to decide. If I were you I would take pre-naplex and evaluate from there.

Well ultimately the decision is up to you and how you think you really feel about how prepared you are for the test. I'd say that for many people they go into the test not feeling ready - I think it's hard to ever get to a point where you would feel 100% ready (at least not with an exorbitant commitment of time - and I feel at some point you're just going to have to take the test).

I took the test at the end of July and literally got 1-3 questions each on HTN, DM, HLD so I'd say to not focus super in-depth on a single topic - though good to keep in mind that everyone's test is different. (And as everyone says, MATH = IMPORTANT)
That's very true, thank u!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it depends on other stuff in your life. Do you have a job lined up? Do you have to be licensed by a certain time for said job? Based on what I consider to be prepared (for my own sanity and confidence), you don't sound too prepared. However, that's ultimately up to you to decide. If I were you I would take pre-naplex and evaluate from there.
i actually don't have a job lined up or anything like that. I think i will take the pre naplex but a lot of ppl say that doesn't reflect the actual exam bc it's linear vs the adaptive nonsense for the actual test. Some ppl did well on prenaplex but failed the actual test so idk

i actually don't have a job lined up or anything like that. I think i will take the pre naplex but a lot of ppl say that doesn't reflect the actual exam bc it's linear vs the adaptive nonsense for the actual test. Some ppl did well on prenaplex but failed the actual test so idk

Depends on who you ask. I know about 15 people whose pre-naplex vs naplex scores were within 10 points of each other. I would just say to take pre naplex and if you get like a 60 maybe you need to reconsider taking it now.

That is very true. You would be comparing apples to oranges. All the pre-Naplex says is that you were able or not to answer a preset of questions. That's it. I got a 67 on it. It's good that I took it because that was a wake up call for me and I studied conscientiously to be a more competent pharmacist. The rest simply happened. I got a 107 on it and was pretty sure I had passed when I got home. I was certain that most of my calculations if not all, were 100% correct.

To be brutally honest, you do not sound very prepared. Those important chapters that you mentioned may not even come up on your exam. They really didn't in mine. My first question was a calculation, then 5 HIV questions, and then a nice set of maybe 9 oncology questions(?). Treat like a job. You don't really have any time constraints. So it's safe to assume that you are not doing a residency and likely, you will enter retail when all is said and done. Put your head down and study to be the most competent pharmacist that you can be. You have to know the stuff anyway. So bite the bullet and know it. Stop caring about how all those people who (claim to have) passed without studying one day or who never looked at the calculations. Good for them!!! But that is not me and my hunch is, it is not you, either. Admit it, take it in, don't fight it. You need to study or you may just bomb it. I know I would have failed it had I not taken it as seriously as I did.

Even if you're going into retail, you have to know the stuff. You will be familiar with counseling points, you will speak with more confidence. Believe me, everyone is waiting for the clueless new grad to pull out lexicomp every time they have to counsel. I rarely had to do that. It's nice. You will be more familiar with significant drug interactions and dosing ranges. You're not just handing out pills and getting paid really well for it.

Pull out a calendar and look at the list of chapters on the Rxprep book. You should go through all of it at least once if not twice and do all the quizzes until you drop dead. There should be no hesitation on your part when it comes to calculations. When you see one during the exam, you should be cavorting of joy because you know you will for sure get it right. Math is really the one part of this exam that you can 100% control. Make it your strength and advantage. If you get all your math correct, you will have no more than 15-20 questions and after that, the adaptive system will have no choice but to give you easier questions. It has to because you've shown competency in a few questions for about 33% of the exam. So now the system has more questions available than points available. Your exam will be easier. But of course, that means you also have to get a good number of those questions correct.

So let's cut the nonsense and put your head down. Postpone. It sounds like 3 weeks without any procrastination or 4 weeks with some scheduled dilly dallying. Go for it. Make it happen. Make failure not an option. Chop chop!

Best,

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That is very true. You would be comparing apples to oranges. All the pre-Naplex says is that you were able or not to answer a preset of questions. That's it. I got a 67 on it. It's good that I took it because that was a wake up call for me and I studied conscientiously to be a more competent pharmacist. The rest simply happened. I got a 107 on it and was pretty sure I had passed when I got home. I was certain that most of my calculations if not all, were 100% correct.

To be brutally honest, you do not sound very prepared. Those important chapters that you mentioned may not even come up on your exam. They really didn't in mine. My first question was a calculation, then 5 HIV questions, and then a nice set of maybe 9 oncology questions(?). Treat like a job. You don't really have any time constraints. So it's safe to assume that you are not doing a residency and likely, you will enter retail when all is said and done. Put your head down and study to be the most competent pharmacist that you can be. You have to know the stuff anyway. So bite the bullet and know it. Stop caring about how all those people who (claim to have) passed without studying one day or who never looked at the calculations. Good for them!!! But that is not me and my hunch it is not you, either. Admit it, take it in, don't fight it. You need to study or you may just bomb it. I know I would have failed it had I not taken it as seriously as I did.

Even if you're going into retail, you have to know the stuff. You will be familiar with counseling points, you will speak with more confidence. Believe me, everyone is waiting for the clueless new grad to pull out lexicomp every time they have to counsel. I rarely had to do that. It's nice. You will be more familiar with significant drug interactions and dosing ranges. You're not just handing out pills and getting paid really well for it.

Pull out a calendar and look at the list of chapters on the Rxprep book. You should go through all of it at least once if not twice and do all the quizzes until you drop dead. There should be no hesitation on your part when it comes to calculations. When you see one during the exam, you should be cavorting of joy because you know you will for sure get it right. Math is really the one part of this exam that you can 100% control. Make it your strength and advantage. If you get all your math correct, you will have no more than 15-20 questions and after that, the adaptive system will have no choice but to give you easier questions. It has to because you've shown competency in a few questions for about 33% of the exam. So now the system has more questions available than points available. Your exam will be easier. But of course, that means you also have to get a good number of those questions correct.

So let's cut the nonsense and put your head down. Postpone. It sounds like 3 weeks without any procrastination or 4 weeks with some scheduled dilly dallying. Go for it. Make it happen. Make failure not an option. Chop chop!

Best,

Apotheker2015
Wow... That was the most thorough response ever, and I have read a lot of posts from you, Apotheker2015! As usual, you've been very helpful. I see september 30th is open, so I'm thinking of postponing to that date. My issue is I read very slowly and get hung up on the details and write every little thing out... Which is pointless because I'm basically re-writing the textbook out. Thus far I've just read and written and at this point haven't finished ID or writing it out. I don't know what approach is best. I was planning on reading the book n writing stuff out then doing qbank but i obviously don't have any time left for the current scheduled date. Everyone said just do the major topics and take the test bc tht is what they did, but I'm afraid since the exam can have any topic on it, so I'd like to at least read the whole book once as you said. Other than that I'm not sure if I should continue writing stuff out.

Also, with the whole computer adaptive aspect, does it continue to ask you about topics you got wrong? I keep reading posts about how the naplex tests u on what u did not study bc it continues to ask you questions on what you got wrong.

Should I still do the prenaplex or try the rxprep practice exam?

THANK YOU SO MUCH APOTHEKER!!

Wow... That was the most thorough response ever, and I have read a lot of posts from you, Apotheker2015! As usual, you've been very helpful. I see september 30th is open, so I'm thinking of postponing to that date. My issue is I read very slowly and get hung up on the details and write every little thing out... Which is pointless because I'm basically re-writing the textbook out. Thus far I've just read and written and at this point haven't finished ID or writing it out. I don't know what approach is best. I was planning on reading the book n writing stuff out then doing qbank but i obviously don't have any time left for the current scheduled date. Everyone said just do the major topics and take the test bc tht is what they did, but I'm afraid since the exam can have any topic on it, so I'd like to at least read the whole book once as you said. Other than that I'm not sure if I should continue writing stuff out.

Also, with the whole computer adaptive aspect, does it continue to ask you about topics you got wrong? I keep reading posts about how the naplex tests u on what u did not study bc it continues to ask you questions on what you got wrong.

Should I still do the prenaplex or try the rxprep practice exam?

THANK YOU SO MUCH APOTHEKER!!

Prepharmsofar,

I am glad that you have found those posts useful. I will keep it brief this time. You only have 4 weeks. You should not be rewriting everything. I would simply go through the chapter, do the quiz and note the key points you missed ONLY after you've read the explanation and decided that "ok, yeah, I did not know that". So really, once you retake the missed questions, that's when you should be writing stuff down. I would do no more than 1 page per chapter. Split the page into 2 columns. Trust that you have seen this stuff before. Four weeks won't be enough if you are doing that much writing. Your notes should be short and straight to the point; i.e.,. gleevec PO only, requires genetic test.DONE.

Thus, I agree with your strategy but delay the writing part after you've taken the quiz right after reading the chapter. Do your best to spend an hour or two a day, going over those items that you just keep forgetting. In other words, review the material up to what you did the day before. If you can't do that every day., then do it every other day. It should be a quick review just to bring it back to your back pocket.

Refer to some of my previous posts. I printed out the table of drug interactions and posted it on several walls in my apartment. I did the same with other summary charts. Every time you walk by it, you look at it and read one item outloud. Believe me, it will stick.

Again, you're not studying for the Naplex. You are reviewing for it. You have seen all of this before. Changing your mindset to that will do wonders for your confidence. When you go through the drug tables, always try to go through them with an active learning mindset (as much as I hate hearing the words "active learning"; at my school it meant we actually had to go to class and discuss... ugh... where is the damn vodka?). But yeah, look through a table and say. "Ok all of these are cleared by the liver except drug Z which is cleared by the kidneys. Thus, if someone is old and has liver failure, I will give them drug Z. The Naplex is going to ask you about exceptions, always. That's the majority of the test.

I'm not going to rewrite all my posts here. You get the gist of what I am recommending. Do not reinvent the wheel. Study hard and smart to be a competent pharmacist. The rest will happen. Hit me up if you any other questions. You can do this. The only way to pass the Naplex is to pass the Naplex. Kick its butt. LOL, I mean it.

Best,

Apotheker2015

PS: The pre-Naplex is entirely up to you. There is no correlation. However, those are retired Naplex questions so there is some value to it.
PS2: Yes, the Naplex will DIG a little when you get something wrong. It will give you another question right away OR later testing the same skill BUT typically, it will include within the question an item that was listed as an answer choice in the previous question. So that being said, you could in theory say that second question serves to show what you did know but it's worth a little less. It's all about level of ability and not points but you get what I am saying.
PS3: Did you master the 120 SDN calculations? Do not leave them for the last minute. The first time I sat down to attempt them, I knew I had to implement something drastic.

Hey guys. I already postponed once because I had a lot of stuff going on and also was an idiot for initially not studying properly. Now my exam is in a week and I've wasted the past few days on ID and not only am I not retaining anything but I'm only on the second chapter of ID. I think I'll skipp id, do whatever else, then do qbank for ID. i havent touched the major topics yet like htn dm hld anticoag all of which come after ID. I already postponed once and I feel like im just never goin to take this test, but at the same time I'm scared I'll have to wait 3 months if i fail. Should I postpone again?

This is exactly how I felt right before I took mine. I failed.

Here is my two cents. Everyone I spoke to said naplex should be easy and I shouldnt have to study. They also said no one feels ready going in.... and the reason I spoke to them is to get affirmation that I could still pass without having to study... many actually told me that I need to thoroughly go over the entire rxprep but did I listen to those folks who were real with me? noooo. That being said, it isnt that they weren't ready but they were "feeling" not ready. There is a difference.

I was NOT ready. I barely went through 1/3 rxprep book in three weeks prior to the exam. When I got to the testing center there was an issue with my name and was turned down and had to reschedule. Meanwhile, I could not continue to study since i had to study for mpje. Being upset about what happened with naplex scheduling, I used that as motivation to study like hell for a week for mpje and passed. But afterwards, with a new job offer and the manager asking me to take naplex asap, i made the mistake of scheduling it a week after mpje. Now, while waiting for mpje results to come out, there is no way you can focus to study for naplex... it's just so nerve wrecking. Basically, I barely studied naplex for 2.5-3 weeks, not study for the next two weeks and ended up walking in to take it having to forget everything I crammed. Was I ready, hell no. Did I feel ready... well I was thinking... everyone passed with very little studying so why not me.... Lies!

No one goes in to take this exam without studying or being prepared! there is just no way! It may be easier than you anticipated if you are well prepared but no way is this exam THAT easy.

So... in conclusion... do not, i repeat, DO NOT take it if you are not ready. Not that you don't feel ready... but ask yourself and dont lie, "am I ready?"

I rather have spent the next month or two buckling down to study than to have wait 91 days or possibly more to take this exam again...

P.S. I had the math and stats mastered. Went thru the entire rxprep online quiz bank three times, had my own formula sheet, and there was no hesitation on how to answer each math and stats question on naplex which i triple checked with plenty time left. The problem was that that was the only part of naplex i was ready for. (again, I was dumb enough to listen to those who said all I needed to know was math to pass this thing!) Unfortunately, I only had about 30 questions on math and stats.

Last edited:
Prepharmsofar,

I am glad that you have found those posts useful. I will keep it brief this time. You only have 4 weeks. You should not be rewriting everything. I would simply go through the chapter, do the quiz and note the key points you missed ONLY after you've read the explanation and decided that "ok, yeah, I did not know that". So really, once you retake the missed questions, that's when you should be writing stuff down. I would do no more than 1 page per chapter. Split the page into 2 columns. Trust that you have seen this stuff before. Four weeks won't be enough if you are doing that much writing. Your notes should be short and straight to the point; i.e.,. gleevec PO only, requires genetic test.DONE.

Thus, I agree with your strategy but delay the writing part after you've taken the quiz right after reading the chapter. Do your best to spend an hour or two a day, going over those items that you just keep forgetting. In other words, review the material up to what you did the day before. If you can't do that every day., then do it every other day. It should be a quick review just to bring it back to your back pocket.

Refer to some of my previous posts. I printed out the table of drug interactions and posted it on several walls in my apartment. I did the same with other summary charts. Every time you walk by it, you look at it and read one item outloud. Believe me, it will stick.

Again, you're not studying for the Naplex. You are reviewing for it. You have seen all of this before. Changing your mindset to that will do wonders for your confidence. When you go through the drug tables, always try to go through them with an active learning mindset (as much as I hate hearing the words "active learning"; at my school it meant we actually had to go to class and discuss... ugh... where is the damn vodka?). But yeah, look through a table and say. "Ok all of these are cleared by the liver except drug Z which is cleared by the kidneys. Thus, if someone is old and has liver failure, I will give them drug Z. The Naplex is going to ask you about exceptions, always. That's the majority of the test.

I'm not going to rewrite all my posts here. You get the gist of what I am recommending. Do not reinvent the wheel. Study hard and smart to be a competent pharmacist. The rest will happen. Hit me up if you any other questions. You can do this. The only way to pass the Naplex is to pass the Naplex. Kick its butt. LOL, I mean it.

Best,

Apotheker2015

PS: The pre-Naplex is entirely up to you. There is no correlation. However, those are retired Naplex questions so there is some value to it.
PS2: Yes, the Naplex will DIG a little when you get something wrong. It will give you another question right away OR later testing the same skill BUT typically, it will include within the question an item that was listed as an answer choice in the previous question. So that being said, you could in theory say that second question serves to show what you did know but it's worth a little less. It's all about level of ability and not points but you get what I am saying.
PS3: Did you master the 120 SDN calculations? Do not leave them for the last minute. The first time I sat down to attempt them, I knew I had to implement something drastic.

I didn't do the SDN calculations because everyone says it's overkill and that the rxprep chapter is enough. I guess I'll look at that too then. It's no wonder that I feel like this is dragging on so much... I'm tiring myself out by writing every little detail out and not retaining anything. Thank you so much!!!!! I just postponed my exam, I'll keep you updated!

This is exactly how I felt right before I took mine. I failed.

Here is my two cents. Everyone I spoke to said naplex should be easy and I shouldnt have to study. They also said no one feels ready going in.... and the reason I spoke to them is to get affirmation that I could still pass without having to study... many actually told me that I need to thoroughly go over the entire rxprep but did I listen to those folks who were real with me? noooo. That being said, it isnt that they weren't ready but they were "feeling" not ready. There is a difference.

I was NOT ready. I barely went through 1/3 rxprep book in three weeks prior to the exam. When I got to the testing center there was an issue with my name and was turned down and had to reschedule. Meanwhile, I could not continue to study since i had to study for mpje. Being upset about what happened with naplex scheduling, I used that as motivation to study like hell for a week for mpje and passed. But afterwards, with a new job offer and the manager asking me to take naplex asap, i made the mistake of scheduling it a week after mpje. Now, while waiting for mpje results to come out, there is no way you can focus to study for naplex... it's just so nerve wrecking. Basically, I barely studied naplex for 2.5-3 weeks, not study for the next two weeks and ended up walking in to take it having to forget everything I crammed. Was I ready, hell no. Did I feel ready... well I was thinking... everyone passed with very little studying so why not me.... Lies!

No one goes in to take this exam without studying or being prepared! there is just no way! It may be easier than you anticipated if you are well prepared but no way is this exam THAT easy.

So... in conclusion... do not, i repeat, DO NOT take it if you are not ready. Not that you don't feel ready... but ask yourself and dont lie, "am I ready?"

I rather have spent the next month or two buckling down to study than to have wait 91 days or possibly more to take this exam again...

P.S. I had the math and stats mastered. Went thru the entire rxprep online quiz bank three times, had my own formula sheet, and there was no hesitation on how to answer each math and stats question on naplex which i triple checked with plenty time left. The problem was that that was the only part of naplex i was ready for. (again, I was dumb enough to listen to those who said all I needed to know was math to pass this thing!) Unfortunately, I only had about 30 questions on math and stats.
Thanks so much for your perspective! I agree, everyone told me to know ur math n ur good to go! I'd also rather just wait a few extra weeks and take it then as opposed to taking it and having to wait three months and be upset the whole time. Everyone says to just take it and get it over with either u pass or u fail either way ur wasting time by postponing or failing and at least u'd get exposed to the exam even if u did fail.... But I would rather go in more confident and whatever happens, happens.

I didn't do the SDN calculations because everyone says it's overkill and that the rxprep chapter is enough. I guess I'll look at that too then. It's no wonder that I feel like this is dragging on so much... I'm tiring myself out by writing every little detail out and not retaining anything. Thank you so much!!!!! I just postponed my exam, I'll keep you updated!

Prepharmsofar,

*steps on soap box* you are not going to "just look at the calculations". You are going to make those your secret weapon. I'm serious. You need to do them over and over. The first time I sat down to do them it took me hours to get through 14 of them. I was rusty to say the least. I got through them eventually and it took me forever. Then I kept doing them until I could do them in any way presented.

I'm not going to tell you that "oh, I didn't even look at them" like a lot of people do. I'm telling you. I wouldn't have passed otherwise. Before you do anything else, you need to get through those 120 calculations. Attempt each one first and note why you didn't get it; I.e., unsure of how to calculate mEq, or made mistake converting from this to that. And then you go and review that until you have it down.

When you get a math question on the Naplex you should be able to do it in half the time. That's the whole point of over killing them when you study. If you can do them in half the time you will buy yourself time. I urge you to detach yourself from the herd and stop listening to those people. "The 120 SDN are overkill". Whatever, good for them. That's your first step before you even hit any chapters. Get them done and then do them every day or every couple of days.

*steps off soap box*

Best,

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
Prepharmsofar,

*steps on soap box* you are not going to "just look at the calculations". You are going to make those your secret weapon. I'm serious. You need to do them over and over. The first time I sat down to do them it took me hours to get through 14 of them. I was rusty to say the least. I got through them eventually and it took me forever. Then I kept doing them until I could do them in any way presented.

I'm not going to tell you that "oh, I didn't even look at them" like a lot of people do. I'm telling you. I wouldn't have passed otherwise. Before you do anything else, you need to get through those 120 calculations. Attempt each one first and note why you didn't get it; I.e., unsure of how to calculate mEq, or made mistake converting from this to that. And then you go and review that until you have it down.

When you get a math question on the Naplex you should be able to do it in half the time. That's the whole point of over killing them when you study. If you can do them in half the time you will buy yourself time. I urge you to detach yourself from the heard and stop listening to those people. "The 120 SDN are overkill". Whatever, good for them. That's your first step before you even hit any chapters. Get them done and then do them every day or every couple of days.

*steps off soap box*

Best,

Apotheker2015
Haha! Love the dramatic input here and there!!! Alright I will definitely do the SDN problems and then repeat them every few days. I wouldn't have to re-read/do the rxprep calculations chapter in addition to SDN every few days do I?

Haha! Love the dramatic input here and there!!! Alright I will definitely do the SDN problems and then repeat them every few days. I wouldn't have to re-read/do the rxprep calculations chapter in addition to SDN every few days do I?

Only you can answer that. I did both. But that's just me. I had to make math my strength.

I guess it'll help reinforce it to at least do the calculation chapter questions + SDN questions every few days even if I don't read the chapter. Thanks!

I actually did all the RxPrep calculations first and then, I attempted the 120 SDN calculations. Then, I went back to the Rxprep calculations to reinforce isolated concepts. I even went to the Pharmaceutical calculations book we used in school to look up mEq, mmol, and alligation problems. The Rxprep ones weren't very good, I thought.

Don't look for shortcuts. You don't want to have to wait for 90+ days to retake. It sucks. It's actually way more than 90 days depending upon what State you're in. Some boats of pharmacy take ages to get get around to your retake forms.

Take one shot at it and kill it.

Last edited:
Yea I am one of those people. Got a 112 on the Pre-NAPLEX, then got a 74 on the real thing. Complete waste of money.