To Reapply in June or Wait another year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highhopes92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously torn about reapplying in June or waiting a whole year and reapplying June 2015. I guess my biggest concern is have I done enough to consider improvement. I have done a few different volunteer activities but mostly all I have done is added hours to my already existing EC activities.

I have been putting a lot of consideration into what I'm doing for a Gap year but if I submit in June then what I do in my gap year won't be on my primary application. So what I do during the gap year won't really help for the upcoming cycle. Or am I wrong in this understanding?

Members don't see this ad.

I've you've started activities that you'll continue into your gap year then you can put them on your AMCAS application. Also, you can always send pre-interview updates to schools.

Why do you think your application was unsuccessful this year?

I've put a lot of thought into it and asked for some advice, I think it was several confounding things. Late application, low MCAT, and lack of recent clinical exposure (Previous clinical experience was a little over 2 years old).

I've shadowed and done clinical volunteering (both local and abroad) this year to address my clinical experience. But I think my biggest problem was how late I applied (complete all schools in October) with my MCAT score (28). However, from reading around the forums it sounds like for reapplication you need to show improvement. Yet, I don't think I've done much for improvement. I have continued with my research position and presented at a two more conferences. I MAY be published a second time before application cycle (in submission process).

I am not sure if applying early will be considered improvement, especially since I think this was my biggest issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've put a lot of thought into it and asked for some advice, I think it was several confounding things. Late application, low MCAT, and lack of recent clinical exposure (Previous clinical experience was a little over 2 years old).

I've shadowed and done clinical volunteering (both local and abroad) this year to address my clinical experience. But I think my biggest problem was how late I applied (complete all schools in October) with my MCAT score (28). However, from reading around the forums it sounds like for reapplication you need to show improvement. Yet, I don't think I've done much for improvement. I have continued with my research position and presented at a two more conferences. I MAY be published a second time before application cycle (in submission process).

I am not sure if applying early will be considered improvement, especially since I think this was my biggest issue.

As a successful MD re-applicant, I found this resource very helpful. (http://medicine.osu.edu/students/admissions/reapplicantadvice/pages/index.aspx) You may have already seen it. Also, I applied the second AMCAS opened verses my previous cycle (late June) and, in my opinion, it made a big difference. I also had an MCAT in the 27-29 range. I wish you the best of luck on your re-application. I also would recommend this thread to you. It was very insightful.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/any-27-29-mcat-with-interviews.351659/page-37#post-14916006

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

^ I second that. I applied late last year with no success, and an early submission this year made all the difference. I had decent stats, but received zero interviews the first time because my application was late. If you can take the MCAT before June and start volunteering in a hospital ASAP, I think you should be okay for this cycle.

Good luck!! =)

Reactions: 1 user
I have seen many reapplicants get in with 28. Just make sure your school list for next year matches the MSAR GPA/MCAT range for each school.

Hey guys,

I am also having trouble with this. I am an alternate at one osteopathic school with a few others floating around, but am not optimistic for this year. My stats were sgpa 3.1 cgpa 3.3. and MCT 0f 29. I spoke with someone on admissions at a DO school that rejected me who recommends to a 1 yr master of science program in medical science or something similar.

my question is: do i apply in june if I end up doing a master's in September, or should I wait a whole extra year!?!?!

I took my MCAT in 4/2013 and do not want to retake it once the changes are made in 2015!!!

Any help/opinions on this appreciated.

I'm seriously torn about reapplying in June or waiting a whole year and reapplying June 2015. I guess my biggest concern is have I done enough to consider improvement. I have done a few different volunteer activities but mostly all I have done is added hours to my already existing EC activities.

I have been putting a lot of consideration into what I'm doing for a Gap year but if I submit in June then what I do in my gap year won't be on my primary application. So what I do during the gap year won't really help for the upcoming cycle. Or am I wrong in this understanding?

Get feedback from any school that will provide it. If they tell you the only negative of your app was timing, just reapply early. If it was something else, then you need to decide if you've improved. Try to lock up your gap year experience now so that you can put it on your AMCAS in June. You don't need to wait until summer to figure out what you will do next year. If you are willing to move to MD/DC, apply for a post-bacc at the NIH.

Im hoping someone can give me feedback as well.
I applied with a 3.6 in cGPA and a 3.64 in sGPA and a 27 mcat (7 on v) in SEPTEMBER!!!!
So I originally thought it would be best if I retook for a 30+mcat and applied on Day 1 of apps cycle this year. To improve my app, ive been working part time as a lab tech/project manager and ive been volunteering at office since Jan of this year (when I figured out that I will most likely have to reapply).

But I was told by a retired adcom that I need to take a few more years off and apply with some grad gpa because I dont have anything significant to add this year and my gpa is average.

What should I do? Ive been practicing for the MCAT and looking forward to apply this upcoming cycle but now im confused

I applied with a 3.6 in cGPA and a 3.64 in sGPA and a 27 mcat (7 on v) in SEPTEMBER!!!!
So I originally thought it would be best if I retook for a 30+mcat and applied on Day 1 of apps cycle this year. To improve my app, ive been working part time as a lab tech/project manager and ive been volunteering at office since Jan of this year (when I figured out that I will most likely have to reapply).

But I was told by a retired adcom that I need to take a few more years off and apply with some grad gpa because I dont have anything significant to add this year and my gpa is average.

What should I do? Ive been practicing for the MCAT and looking forward to apply this upcoming cycle but now im confused

It's not your GPA. Don't get a masters unless YOU want it. The 7 is a pretty big red flag and a 27 means you didn't rock the other sections either. The MCAT is your biggest problem. Retake that and you'll be good to go.

Also, avoid calling your job a "tech" position. Highlight project manager and downplay tech. Is it clinical or research? If it's research, try to take on more responsability like analyzing data, interpreting it, and designing experiments. Good luck!

Hey guys,

I am also having trouble with this. I am an alternate at one osteopathic school with a few others floating around, but am not optimistic for this year. My stats were sgpa 3.1 cgpa 3.3. and MCT 0f 29. I spoke with someone on admissions at a DO school that rejected me who recommends to a 1 yr master of science program in medical science or something similar.

my question is: do i apply in june if I end up doing a master's in September, or should I wait a whole extra year!?!?!

I took my MCAT in 4/2013 and do not want to retake it once the changes are made in 2015!!!

Any help/opinions on this appreciated.
It's not unusual to apply while doing your SMP. Schools usually just ask for grade updates during the cycle.

Don't let the low MCAT stop you. Apply early.

I have several friends with 28 that all got into the same school which has an average MCAT of 33...
And yet, I have some friends who were completely ignored by the same school and weren't even offered an interview.

I do not know if they had connections or not, but it is possible to get in to a decent school with a low MCAT.

However, I would apply broadly and also consider applying for DO schools.

Don't let the low MCAT stop you. Apply early.

I have several friends with 28 that all got into the same school which has an average MCAT of 33...
And yet, I have some friends who were completely ignored by the same school and weren't even offered an interview.

I do not know if they had connections or not, but it is possible to get in to a decent school with a low MCAT.

However, I would apply broadly and also consider applying for DO schools.

This is true, but why chance it? Sure, people get in with 28s but the percentages are not in your favor with a low MCAT like that. With that GPA, a 27 puts you in the 27-29 range with a rate of 50%. A 27 is the low end of that range. If you have a 26 the rate drops to 24% acceptance. So a 27 is probably hovering around a 40% acceptance rate. I'm personally not comfortable with odds that low. Just my rational. If DO schools are on the radar, a 27 is awesome!
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf

Last edited:
This is true, but why chance it? Sure, people get in with 28s but the percentages are not in your favor with a low MCAT like that. With that GPA, a 27 puts you in the 27-29 range with a rate of 50%. A 27 is the low end of that range. If you have a 26 the rate drops to 24% accepts. I'm not comfortable with odds that low when the MCAT is relatively easy to improve relative upon. Just my rational. If DO schools are on the radar, a 27 is awesome!
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf

Ohh I agree. You should definitely try to improve, especially if you have the time and think you can do it. a 28 is pretty good for many DO schools so if you are looking to get into DO then MCAT won't be much of an issue.

I am just trying to say if you have an MCAT of 28 and looking to get into the better schools, it is an uphill battle, but it is possible.

Ohh I agree. You should definitely try to improve, especially if you have the time and think you can do it. a 28 is pretty good for many DO schools so if you are looking to get into DO then MCAT won't be much of an issue.

I am just trying to say if you have an MCAT of 28 and looking to get into the better schools, it is an uphill battle, but it is possible.

Yeah, totally agree.

get over a 30 on the MCAT and your good to go for osteopathic schoolS!

why didn't you try to retake the MCAT? That should've been the first thing on your list. Was it because you applied late and didn't know what was going to happen?