To Reschedule MCAT or Not? Help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoseNoah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Good luck to anyone currently applying to medical school or preparing to in the future.

I'm currently scheduled to take the MCAT for the first time on October 25. I've been studying since July, but not as consistently as I would like. I know I have a little over 5 weeks until the exam.

I am starting feel a little (a lot) panicky. I still am not done with content review and my practice exams are in the low 20s. Physical sciences is my weakest section, but I'm not exceptional in the other two.

I had always planned to retake if needed in January, the last date to take the old exam, as most people are aware. I am only now realizing that January dates are probably going to fill by the time I take the exam in October, if they aren't already full. I'm afraid the chances of people dropping registration spots is not very likely due to the fact that it's the last time that people can take the exam before the new one.

I don't think I can get the best score I possibly can in October, but I will try to study and review as much as I am able to. But I was speaking to a friend who suggested that if I am really worried about spots filling up to reschedule and just plan to take it once and for all in January. This poses the concern that that is the ultimate last chance I can take the MCAT, and should anything happen (an emergency, I do poorly, etc), that's pretty much it.

Should I take the exam October and hope spots will open up in January? Or should I reschedule if spots are still open for January?

Any input is appreciated, but please try to stick to subject and please only constructive criticism/advice. I apologize if this question has been posed multiple times, but this was really pressing on my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am signed up for oct 21 and feel the same way as you. this will be a retake for me. i'm just trying to cram and hoping that i do better this time. i feel like doing well on the mcat doesn't really have to do with how smart you are, but how well you can take the test... so i am just trying to take a lot of FLs

Reactions: 1 users
I am signed up for oct 21 and feel the same way as you. this will be a retake for me. i'm just trying to cram and hoping that i do better this time. i feel like doing well on the mcat doesn't really have to do with how smart you are, but how well you can take the test... so i am just trying to take a lot of FLs

Good luck to you! I'm actually not a very good test taker. I'm trying to cram as much as possible as well, but still just worried about all the January spots filling up.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck. I just spent the last hour refreshing the page for a jan mcat date -- my entire state didnt have a seat.

Totally agreed, I think to an extent the MCAT also has to do with being confident and being familiar with testing conditions more than doing content review over and over again (a mistake I made)

Good luck. I just spent the last hour refreshing the page for a jan mcat date -- my entire state didnt have a seat.

That's rough. Surprisingly my home state at the state I go to school in has about 6 spots that are good for me personally in January. Just hope when I sign up again on Saturday that they are still there (99% likeliness I'm voiding my MCAT tomorrow).

That's rough. Surprisingly my home state at the state I go to school in has about 6 spots that are good for me personally in January. Just hope when I sign up again on Saturday that they are still there (99% likeliness I'm voiding my MCAT tomorrow).

Good luck on your MCAT. Hope you find a spot. Im from the south, and there are no spots here. Im sure some people will drop their spot eventually, but i suggest you sign up as soon as possible, I'm sure others are in the same position as you and may not feel good about the mcat and reschedule.

Please read my post. All I know about the MCAT is the physics portion of the PS section. I recommend Khan Academy MCAT Physical Processes section to supplement PS content review materials such as TBR. I also think it is very important to drill the AAMC practice tests to understand how to interpret esoteric physics passages in terms of the physics of your contentent review. Rapid interpretation of these passages is key to improving scores.

I advocate taking the MCAT frequently. I have heard criticism about taking the MCAT to many times. Which situation is better taking the MCAT n times with all sub 30 scores or taking it n+1 times with a 30+ score.

Good Luck.
Let me know how you progress.

Yes. Low 20's is not good enough. You're better off trying to take it in January or the new MCAT next year.