To submit USMLE scores or not...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myostatin

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether or not to submit step 1 / step 2 scores to programs. Anyone have thoughts on this as to what good cutoffs would be in terms of whether it will help or hurt the application, assuming application is to the most competitive programs....

Thnx

Members don't see this ad.

From our PD, if you don't send your scores they will assume you failed. NOT a good idea at all.

it is variable. some dont care about scores and some do. for instance, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA does not require but UCSD does.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would submit them, as well as Step III (assuming you've taken it). I don't think the scores matter that much at all, and not submitting them can only hurt you.

Many programs require that you provide steps I and II at least. Although they may not pay them much mind, they do want to make sure that you haven't failed any attempts. Also many programs place their minimum allowance for scores around 80/200. However strong research and/or publications can buy a little wiggle room with the scores.

I would submit them, as well as Step III (assuming you've taken it). I don't think the scores matter that much at all, and not submitting them can only hurt you.

Brigham specifically states on their website that "We do not require a Dean's letter, USMLE scores or a transcript." Any thoughts on this? Should I withhold the scores in ERAS? It seems unusual; all they'd have is your CV and recommendations, which is, I guess, all you submit for a normal real-world job anyway.

So I guess the consensus is that we should always transmit USMLE scores unless the program specifically says not to? Many websites don't include them in their application requirements and I don't have the time during the day to call all 40+ places I'll be applying to. Just wondering, because if your scores are a bit low you might be better off not transmitting because you may just be numerically screened out.

I understand where you're coming from and it's a tough call. If a program wants them and they're not supplied by the candidate, one may be screened-out for that.