To the person who posted about leaving Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedFulbrightScholar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a thread, and an associated 19-minute video about a young lady who wanted to leave medicine. I watched the video, and read her thread, and was just about to post when she deleted it.

Now I don't know if this is appropriate, and I don't remember her username so I can't PM her, but I still want to say to her what I'd intended to. So I thought I might start a thread in hopes of catching her attention.

This is what I was going to post:

Wow. I hope people will be able to be considerate of the bravery required to admit something like this. And, as much as I'd like, I don't think it's worth it to ask you to think this over again. That feeling mostly stems from knowing a fellow science teacher that left Medical School in his early 20's after finished two years, taught for ten years, had a family, and the kids, and the nice yard with a cool garden, but never really lost that need to be a physician. He just went back to school, this time around to a DO school, this September.

However, best to you. I hope you find a career that's rewarding. In your case, depending upon what state you live in, I would really recommend teaching in the public schools. My colleague entered a career switcher program, from medical student to middle school science teacher. There's a multitude of resources for a science educator. In our state, we have a loan forgiveness and repayment program. There's a marginal repayment every year, and if you've taught for 8 or more years, all of your loans are forgiven, which was a great deal for him, as he was in pretty deep. Additionally, we have a hudhouse program, which gives teachers a house in a poorer region. This might seem like a bad deal, but really, every house in that development is sold at 50% to a teacher or a policeman, firefighter, ect. So very safe to live in, and after 3 years, you can sell it, so you make like 100-200K pretty easily, also helpful in paying off loans. The Hudhouse program is a national one, so I would look into it.

Again, best to you.

To other SDN members reading this thread, what would you say to a person leaving medical school? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually people say "good that you got out early". Apparently a medical career is hell if it's anything less than your one and only calling in life.

Reactions: 1 user
She crossposted that so Ismet moved it to the Allo forum. You can still find it there if you like - I agree with Ismet that it's a better fit there. I think it's worth a listen if one is in a similar situation to hers. We all need to consider carefully our suitability as far as we can.

She crossposted that so Ismet moved it to the Allo forum. You can still find it there if you like - I agree with Ismet that it's a better fit there. I think it's worth a listen if one is in a similar situation to hers. We all need to consider carefully our suitability as far as we can.
Cheers, thought she deleted it.

And agreed to bolded.

Reactions: 1 user