To the students that got into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NNPham

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many drops did you guys have in your undergraduate? I have one and thinking about dropping another.

Members don't see this ad.

None, but I have withdrawn from several classes during the first 2-3 weeks of the semesters when withdrawals were not reflected on the transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Spanish. Funny enough two schools who asked about dropping classes in my application were also schools that pride themselves on serving the spanish population and I still got interviews from them.

A few. Withdrawals are not as much as a death sentence that SDN makes it out to be. I've even had a few low grades (including 1 F :eek:) early in my undergrad career and got into a USMD school (and not an URM).

However, I will say that I wasn't ever gunning for top schools and focuses on low - mid tier schools and my state school. Top schools would probably be less forgiving (obviously).

Reactions: 1 user
@darklabel how many is a few? I have one right now and I am thinking about dropping another.

I had 3 W's. Probably would have been bad to have more than that.

Where did you guys get accepted to?

relax about withdrawals, they're fine if you have a good reason (e.g. health issues). some SDN posters can make a big deal out of a lot of things, but you gotta chill. It's not that big of a deal and its already on your transcript so no amount of freaking out is gonna help. just relax, be positive, and explain it if you need. btw at my uni drops dont show up my transcript, maybe yours might be the same.

How dope were the drops?

You can have a million and it won't matter. They don't appear on transcripts. Now W is another story. That said, I think I only dropped one or two courses where I didn't like the professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two W's on my transcript. One was for calc 2 (because it looked like I wouldn't be able to pull of an A after one bad grade; stupid decision) and some cell bio class (I messed around and missed one too many quizzes and my grade was tanking hah). Still got accepted to US MD schools.

Drops aren't noted on the transcript dude. I had 1 W on mine.

1. Spanish. Funny enough two schools who asked about dropping classes in my application were also schools that pride themselves on serving the spanish population and I still got interviews from them.

Same here. My school allowed native Spanish speakers to take the intro Spanish courses. This made any kind of reasonable GPA in the class impossible. Too bad, because I really wanted to learn Spanish. Much harder to learn on your own. :/

16 Cs, 1 D, 3 Ws, non-URM and accepted to a US MD school.

Reactions: 2 users
I dropped a class but it was within the two weeks - so nothing shows up on my transcript. I did get a D in band... And choir ... They over looked that. I really tried, but I am tone deaf apparently (can't distinguish between a high and low note) :/

relax about withdrawals, they're fine if you have a good reason (e.g. health issues). some SDN posters can make a big deal out of a lot of things, but you gotta chill. It's not that big of a deal and its already on your transcript so no amount of freaking out is gonna help. just relax, be positive, and explain it if you need. btw at my uni drops dont show up my transcript, maybe yours might be the same.

Must be nice.

I had 1 W (overslept the final haha) and got into some good schools. Doesn't seem like a big deal as long as the ones you have left are a standard number.

3.8/37, excellent EC's. I just got rejected from my only interview. They said it was because I had a W on my transcript. :shrug:

What school did you get accepted into?

MD:

UND (first choice)
Tulane
VCU

DO:

DMU
KCUMB
CCOM

Edit - I should've added this earlier, but fwiw, I was planning on attending DMU or KCUMB over Tulane or VCU had I not been accepted to UND. They're excellent schools with a strong reputation and heritage, there's absolutely nothing wrong with DO over MD (except that SOME MD schools JUST HAPPEN to have better hockey teams...;))

Last edited:
3.8/37, excellent EC's. I just got rejected from my only interview. They said it was because I had a W on my transcript. :shrug:

Could you tell us the school?

1 W. It was a programming class for engineers. F that class.

I had two Ws and it didn't prevent me from getting accepted. (check my MD apps)

Princeton School of Medicine

Wow really? Because I had like 9 Ws on my transcript and I still got an interview and accepted. You must have bombed the interview and they made up that reason.

Wow really? Because I had like 9 Ws on my transcript and I still got an interview and accepted. You must have bombed the interview and they made up that reason.
You know what's always funnier than the original? A spin-off.

Reactions: 1 users
Princeton School of Medicine

Not surprised you were rejected from Princeton... Maybe if they had one, you'd have been accepted.

I had 3-4 W's and did quite well this cycle.

I took one class as P/F

How many drops did you guys have in your undergraduate? I have one and thinking about dropping another.
No drops, but my university was awesome and if you dropped before the drop deadline (~1/4 through semester), nothing shows up on your transcripts.

1 withdrawal. One school asked, got the vibe they didn't really want me anyway, so I was completely honest about my laziness. Waitlisted. Don't curr.

none, I am taking an art class in the fall of my senior year so I may drop that, who knows haha

I had 2 withdrawals in UG. One was physiology (at my university), which I retook in the summer at a community college.

Didn't get brought up in 5 interviews. Don't worry about it at all.