To those on the Columbia waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meals

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I sent my response back to Columbia saying that I wanted to be on the waitlist, I also sent a letter detailing my interest in the school. Columbia sent me a letter confirming that I'm on the alternate list. There's a handwritten note from Dr. Frantz at the bottom saying things like "the waitlist won't move for a little bit but he thinks my chances are good", etc.

Did anyone else get a handwritten note?
I'm just wondering if they're just stringing me along or if I actually have a decent shot of getting in off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't apply to Columbia (hence why I am not on the waitlist)..but I've heard about this Dr. Frantz since way back when. In my opinion, he is a realiable source for your admission status. I don't think he would waste his time handwriting you a note just to gas your head up. Take it as a good sign. :clap:

I got a letter from Dean Frantz post interview saying they would "keep me very strongly in mind" and then did get in (much to my surprise). A number of people got those letters, and I'm not sure if everyone who received one got in. But at least in my case, it was reliable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got a letter from Dr. Frantz post-interview (and I didn't even interview with him) telling me that decisions would come out in February and that they were keeping me strongly in mind. But then I got waitlisted. :confused:

I just don't want to get my hopes up again.

I got the first letter (after my thank you to my interviewer) and then also wrote a second letter of intent to dean Frantz and got a correspondance postcard...during my interview my interviewer told me that I would probably get a waitlist but if I really wanted to go to columbia to write a letter saying why...however, to my disbelief I got straight in

•••quote:•••Originally posted by meals:
•When I sent my response back to Columbia saying that I wanted to be on the waitlist, I also sent a letter detailing my interest in the school. Columbia sent me a letter confirming that I'm on the alternate list. There's a handwritten note from Dr. Frantz at the bottom saying things like "the waitlist won't move for a little bit but he thinks my chances are good", etc.

I'm just wondering if they're just stringing me along or if I actually have a decent shot of getting in off the waitlist.•••••i got a handwritten note too saying "i am optimistic about you're chances"....i think they're stringing us along again, just like that "highly ranked status" business they had on the waitlist letter. =]

I didn't get a handwritten note, but I compared Frantz's signature on two typed letters I had from him and they weren't even close. So who knows who really writes these things anyway.

abefroman, I have four signed letters from Dr. Franz, and all of the signatures match and are in the same ink, except for the interview invite which is in ball point pen and a very neat feminine hand.

meals, I would reply, thanking him for his response, and reiterating your strong interest. If you would definitely go there if accepted, now is the time to say so. I've heard that continued and sincere interest in and love of the place works wonders with him in getting off the waitlist. Good luck! :)

meals, as others have said here, this note from Dr. Frantz is probably a good sign. He wouldn't say that your chances are good if he didn't mean it. After my interview, he wrote me a letter and actually used the same words to which you allude, and I was fortunate enough to receive an acceptance! If Columbia is your first choice, then definitely let him know!

Good luck! :)

hey meals, sounds like you're in good shape

as for other people on the waitlist, guess what? i've withdrew from the acceptance -- letter has already been sent, so that is one more spot for ya :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by meals:
•When I sent my response back to Columbia saying that I wanted to be on the waitlist, I also sent a letter detailing my interest in the school. Columbia sent me a letter confirming that I'm on the alternate list. There's a handwritten note from Dr. Frantz at the bottom saying things like "the waitlist won't move for a little bit but he thinks my chances are good", etc.

I'm just wondering if they're just stringing me along or if I actually have a decent shot of getting in off the waitlist.•••••hey meals~

i just wanted to say that i called dr. frantz to ask him a question, and he said "i meant what i said in the letter, we really do have you ranked very high"....so maybe that is a good sign for us. :) :)

Congrats to you guys on the note -- I think that really is good news for you! Does anyone else out there not have a post-waitlist letter from frantz? I got a postcard, but nothing since then!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks momo! that's good news. :) but i guess i should still write him a letter or two to let him know that i'm still interested.

I got a letter from Dr. Frantz-typed, saying that I have been placed on the list. I just sent him the alternate list card back--no additional letter.
The second paragraph begins, " you are probably wondering what your chances are....I cannot tell you for I do not know."

Did anyone else recieve a letter like this? Is that the standard youve been placed on the alternate list letter, or was it written directly to me?

I'd love to hear what anyone has to say.

Hey -- I haven't gotten a letter yet, but I will be sure to let you know what it says. However, looking at your description of the letter, it seems that their are multiple versions going out!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by nap:
•I got a letter from Dr. Frantz-typed, saying that I have been placed on the list. I just sent him the alternate list card back--no additional letter.
The second paragraph begins, " you are probably wondering what your chances are....I cannot tell you for I do not know."

Did anyone else recieve a letter like this? Is that the standard youve been placed on the alternate list letter, or was it written directly to me?

I'd love to hear what anyone has to say.•••••Hey, nap. I got the same letter as you.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by nap:
•I got a letter from Dr. Frantz-typed, saying that I have been placed on the list. I just sent him the alternate list card back--no additional letter.

I'd love to hear what anyone has to say.•••••yeah, I got this one too

I've requested a deferral for a year, so if it's granted (last year all 12 requests were granted), that will open up another spot for you guys! :)

Good luck SMW...what are you planning on doing with your year off? (If you don't mind telling us)

Nothing much, really. Work and earn some money for the first time in my life, get out of my parents' house, recuperate from this crazy application year.

Got the letter with the handwritten note at the bottom today -- says that he "assures me that he will keep me very much in mind." Not exactly the same note that others got, but still positive nonetheless. So we will see what happens once the waitlist starts moving!

Dean Frantz approved my deferral request, so there's one spot that's opened up. I sure hope it goes to an SDNer!! :)

Would you go to UW this year if you got in or are you certain you will go to Columbia next year?

Probably UW. But realistically........ I won't. Do you think I could reapply to UW? Columbia's not asking me to sign anything.

I sent a letter to Dr. Frantz about three weeks after I got placed on the waitlist. I just got a form letter today thanking me for showing my interest and saying that I'm still under consideration. On the bottom, there is a handwritten note that says, "I am hopeful about your chances." I hope this is a good sign. Has anyone gotten a letter from Dr. Frantz in the last few weeks that doesn't have a handwritten note on it?

hey guys - maybe you can help me out. Seems like I have gotten a few combo's of these letter. Dr. Franz replied to my thank you to my interivewer. Wasn't handwritten, but it was his sig (different from the waitlist and interview invite sig). When I wrote to f/u later, he wrote again saying the same "we will keep you very much in mind", which I thought was gentlemanly. It was his signature, but typed. Is that bad? Did he actually handwrite these letters to all you guys? How often to write and update is too often? I didn't want to bug, and so I was thinking, like, once a month. Also, is it desirable or tacky to mention schools that you have gotten into that you'd give up for Columbia? Thanks for the advice! :)

hey again... anyone know anything about the above question? I'd appreciate any imput! Thanks!

Bump!

Wondering if anyone has heard news from Dean Frantz recently... I send him a letter and got a response telling me that basically it was still too early to tell what would happen with my application but that it was still under "active review."