To those who have accepted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, I'll eat it when it's the only thing available. I just have a love affair with strawberries, so most of my cake preferences involve strawberries in some sort of capacity.
tumblr_mx8u5w21MH1rnf1iko1_500.gif

I think they are actually raspberries, but whatever. Close enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just because one person wants to ride in the front of the rollercoaster doesn't mean s/he is entitled to the seat if someone got to it first.

But keep in mind that, much like vet school, sitting in the front of the rollercoaster can be scary and dangerous - a bird could even hit you in the face!

buschgardens-fabio-roller-coaster-1999apr.jpg

I highly doubt anyone is sitting on acceptances to schools they know they won't be attending.

Sadly, I knew someone who was accepted to a school and was a 100% committed to going there, but sat on a waitlist spot just to see if she would get it.

On another note, as someone who was waitlisted last year and is "waitlisted to waitlisted" (?) this year, the only thing that is helpful is to start working on the next application. It is not mean/bad advice to say, "Stop looking at this application cycle until April 15th and then stop looking at it entirely". I have completely stopped worrying about this application and have already started working on my next application by getting a new shadowing opportunity with a lab vet at a local research hospital and getting a new job that has nothing to do with vet med so I can also start looking at a back up plan. I can't keep applying forever because of life in general. So the OP needs to get to work looking towards the different future possibilities. She can do nothing, absolutely nothing at this point to influence this application. Fretting over it will do absolutely nothing but cause stress-not-eating and videogame marathons (welcome to me a year ago). I have already set up classes to retake this summer to help me, have already set up shadowing, and my new job would be able to gain a degree/license/whatever in high school teaching so I can be a high school biology teacher by the time I decide to stop applying to vet school (if I ever need to make that decision).

Hope is a good thing. Realism is a better thing.

So I do think that the little ol' pre-vet forum has become a much harsher place lately. At least when comparing it to the kittens and cotton candy fluff that it was a few years ago - you know, back when nyanko was 'the mean one'?

As for why, well. I think it's clear. More and more of us have become vet students - enough to outnumber the pre-vets - and let it be known that vet school tends to make a person sort of apathetic... maybe even a little bitter... especially when it comes to the future of the profession. So the little fuzzy happy pre-vets tend to rub us the wrong way, even though they are exactly the same was that we were 2-4 years ago.

Which isn't to say that some folks don't deserve some stern words and harsh realities, but yanno.

Reactions: 3 users
Sadly, I knew someone who was accepted to a school and was a 100% committed to going there, but sat on a waitlist spot just to see if she would get it.
But if the school had called her off, would she have hemmed and hawed or told them "thanks but I'm attending elsewhere" ? That's the point I was trying to make earlier, if the decision's been made by the applicant, it will only delay moving the waitlist by the time it takes to make a phone call (theoretically). Just doesn't seem like that big of a deal, and definitely not something anyone should devote time, energy, and stress to overthinking about. Better to do what others have said and find some awesome experiences to keep your mind occupied and help prepare you for vet school (whether you attend this coming fall, the fall after, or the one after that).

I'm seeing more and more entitled attitudes than I previously remember. Maybe that's vet school making me apathetic and cynical (certainly possible), maybe it's the newbies.

It does seem like there's at least one person that's offended by someone's opinion on the internet in each thread now though. I just haven't seen the reason to really be offended yet, honestly.

it will only delay moving the waitlist by the time it takes to make a phone call (theoretically). Just doesn't seem like that big of a deal, and definitely not something anyone should devote time, energy, and stress to overthinking about.

I agree that it isn't that big of a deal, and certainly don't think waitlisters should worry about. I did say that I myself stopped caring about this application cycle a while ago. But I do think it is rude to stay on the waitlist to just see if you get accepted to another school. Removing yourself from the equation sooner rather than later can possibly mean a world of difference to another applicant. Granted, not always, but there is the possibility. It doesn't hurt an accepted applicant to remove themselves and can only benefit the people on the waitlist, so why not remove yourself from the get go?

What on earth does THAT mean? Sounds awful. :(

Right?!? So a group of us that applied to K-State this year never got an interview invite, but never got a rejection letter either. Some people who didn't get an interview did get a rejection letter, so it wasn't everyone who didn't get an interview. Someone called and asked what was going on and they were told that no more rejection letters were being sent out, but they had made their accepted and waitlisted decisions. I called a little while after that and straight up asked if we were rejected and was told no. I asked if we were waitlisted and was told kind of. Hence my question mark. Waitlisted to be waitlisted is pretty much how it feels, so that's what I am calling it. lol.

I agree that it isn't that big of a deal, and certainly don't think waitlisters should worry about. I did say that I myself stopped caring about this application cycle a while ago. But I do think it is rude to stay on the waitlist to just see if you get accepted to another school. Removing yourself from the equation sooner rather than later can possibly mean a world of difference to another applicant. Granted, not always, but there is the possibility. It doesn't hurt an accepted applicant to remove themselves and can only benefit the people on the waitlist, so why not remove yourself from the get go?

I don't know... I still feel like it's a person's right to stay on it if they want. They earned the spot and are entitled to the information. Who knows what could happen... What if something seriously deters you from a school you originally accepted - like unpredictable circumstances or whatever. Unlikely sure, but better to not rinse away any and all other opportunities just because you'd be giving someone else a little more notice.

I realize this is probably an unpopular perspective... But I don't think making a blanket judgment like that is fair to people's circumstances we may not be aware of.

Reactions: 7 users
I agree that removing yourself will bump up another applicant, that's obvious. I think there's a difference between having multiple acceptances with a decision made/leaving the other schools hanging past April 15 vs. having a decision and hanging on to waitlists. To me, the former has a greater effect on the initial movement of a waitlist (that post-April 15th rush), and I think we can all agree that it is not the most polite way of going about things. I'm not saying it's 'okay' to hang on to waitlists just to see what happens, either, but I can understand putting a deposit down at one school, but still wanting to see if another school (especially one that's cheaper) might have good news for you.

Just in the last 2-3 years I've seen some weird things go on, but your "waitlist to be waitlisted" is one of the more interesting ones. Why not give you an interview then? Will you have to end up interviewing anyways? Maybe it's a new thing. At first glance, it doesn't make sense to not have at least interviewed you at this point and then just waitlist you.

On the Successful applicant thread, someone said she turned down an interview at a school, but was still offered admission. Someone explain that one to me....

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know... I still feel like it's a person's right to stay on it if they want. They earned the spot and are entitled to the information. Who knows what could happen... What if something seriously deters you from a school you originally accepted - like unpredictable circumstances or whatever. Unlikely sure, but better to not rinse away any and all other opportunities just because you'd be giving someone else a little more notice.

I realize this is probably an unpopular perspective... But I don't think making a blanket judgment like that is fair to people's circumstances we may not be aware of.
I'll be honest here-I have sent my deposit in to Illinois, but am holding on to my waitlist at UF as of right now. The tuition is cheaper because it is fixed, and it's my dream school. If I get called off, I may or may not switch things up. It depends. The tuition difference doesn't end up being that drastic after all is said and done, so it'd be a matter of throwing away an apartment/deposit in Illinois to switch to UF (where tuition would be roughly $10-15k cheaper after 4 years), and if it financially makes sense to me.

Right?!? So a group of us that applied to K-State this year never got an interview invite, but never got a rejection letter either. Some people who didn't get an interview did get a rejection letter, so it wasn't everyone who didn't get an interview. Someone called and asked what was going on and they were told that no more rejection letters were being sent out, but they had made their accepted and waitlisted decisions. I called a little while after that and straight up asked if we were rejected and was told no. I asked if we were waitlisted and was told kind of. Hence my question mark. Waitlisted to be waitlisted is pretty much how it feels, so that's what I am calling it. lol.

So their waitlist back-up. That is just ****ty.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be honest here-I have sent my deposit in to Illinois, but am holding on to my waitlist at UF as of right now. The tuition is cheaper because it is fixed, and it's my dream school. If I get called off, I may or may not switch things up. It depends. The tuition difference doesn't end up being that drastic after all is said and done, so it'd be a matter of throwing away an apartment/deposit in Illinois to switch to UF (where tuition would be roughly $10-15k cheaper after 4 years), and if it financially makes sense to me.
Thanks for verifying I'm not crazy :)

I'm pretty much of this opinion. You'll either get called off or you won't.

So their waitlist back-up. That is just ****ty.
Makes me wonder if they typically see a lot of waitlist movement, and have had to pull from their rejection pile or something in the past. Might as well just make a bigger waitlist if that's the case, and interview @batsenecal for crying out loud.

Makes me wonder if they typically see a lot of waitlist movement, and have had to pull from their rejection pile or something in the past. Might as well just make a bigger waitlist if that's the case, and interview @batsenecal for crying out loud.

They have. I believe CSU has had to I think as well?

My undergrad was also asked to encourage any eligible international applicants to apply to OVC because they hadn't filled their class or didn't have enough that they wanted, or something. That would have been....summer 2011.

They have. I believe CSU has had to I think as well?

My undergrad was also asked to encourage any eligible international applicants to apply to OVC because they hadn't filled their class or didn't have enough that they wanted, or something. That would have been....summer 2011.
That's kind of embarrassing. I mean I know reality hits and people decide to go elsewhere...but when a school usually over-accepts to hopefully account for that happening, then goes through their waitlist, then has to un-reject people? Maybe I'm being naive, but it sounds like the system needs tweaking or something. It just makes things look bad/disorganized, even if the school can't predict when their lists go to hell.

I'm just kicking myself because apparently Ohio State still accepted people that turned them down. To think I had more of a chance than I thought at in-state tuition....gah.

I'm totally cool with people keeping spots for the specific purpose of waiting to see if they can get something better for their specific situation. @pinkpuppy9 has a good example. If I had been waitlisted with CSU this year, but accepted to K-State, I would have sent my deposit to K-State, but held on for CSU just because of the drastic difference in price. I don't know. It may be just because I am a judgey person and that it rankled me to know that this person had no intention of accepting the seat from the waitlist school. She turned it down during the phone call.

Using the example of unpredictable circumstances goes both ways too and could be applied to the people on the waitlist. However unlikely it is, situations can change over the course of a phone call and someone may not be able to take a seat they could have accepted earlier even that day. But like you said, each situation is unlikely. I guess the only thing I can judge is what I would do and I would remove myself because there is very little that would prevent me from going.

[QUOTE="pinkpuppy9, post: 16346795, member: 576277"Just in the last 2-3 years I've seen some weird things go on, but your "waitlist to be waitlisted" is one of the more interesting ones. Why not give you an interview then? Will you have to end up interviewing anyways? Maybe it's a new thing. At first glance, it doesn't make sense to not have at least interviewed you at this point and then just waitlist you.

On the Successful applicant thread, someone said she turned down an interview at a school, but was still offered admission. Someone explain that one to me....[/QUOTE]

They sent us n e-mail earlier in the cycle (after all the interview invites had gone out) that those of us left may or may not be called for additional interviews and they did end up holding additional interviews.

It is their right to stay on or not. Yes...but if they know they aren't going to a school they are waitlisted at, why hold up the process for others who are putting their "moving"lives on hold because they might get in and off the waitlist. I think people should be responsible and remove themselves if they know they are not going to attend. It allows the rest of the process to move. A few weeks or a month can make or break someone who has an apartment deposit to put down or to find a job for a s/o.

I'm pretty much of this opinion. You'll either get called off or you won't.
and lives for the fall are on hold until people make their decisions. Not sure it makes sense to hold a spot just to hold a spot

It is their right to stay on or not. Yes...but if they know they aren't going to a school they are waitlisted at, why hold up the process for others who are putting their "moving"lives on hold because they might get in and off the waitlist. I think people should be responsible and remove themselves if they know they are not going to attend. It allows the rest of the process to move. A few weeks or a month can make or break someone who has an apartment deposit to put down or to find a job for a s/o.
That's the thing though. If it's a waitlist spot that's being held, nobody is going to find out a few weeks or months earlier if that person gives up their spot. With an acceptance, yeah, maybe, if schools call people off the waitlist before April 15th. But someone giving up their waitlist spot just means the person moves up a bit on the list. They likely won't hear any earlier than they would have anyway. Like was mentioned before, if someone gets a call off the waitlist and decides they don't want the spot, they say so during the phone call and the school can call the next person. So it's a difference of a few hours or days at most.

Reactions: 2 users
and lives for the fall are on hold until people make their decisions. Not sure it makes sense to hold a spot just to hold a spot

Yeah, lives are on hold until the 15th. I fail to see how that is a big deal. I was on the wait list before and didn't get called until after the 15th. I would have been on cloud 9 sooner, that's about it.

Otherwise it's just a name that's crossed out on the list as they move down to the next.

Canadians wait until early June to find out their status and some people have to deal with being waitlisted at that point. I'm having a hard time being sympathetic for this short of a period.

Reactions: 3 users
By the way, this post by @StartingoverVet is particularly relevant. This is how we can distinguish those particular accepted pre-vets.

Hmmm. I think we need to tell studentdoctor.net administrators to change the options for us to choose from.. See, we have a title, president-elect, for soon to be presidents... I propose the following:

veterinary student -select: for those admitted into a veterniary school

veterinary student - commit: so we can distinguish those capable of making a decision of where to go (not me) from those paralyzed by the choice.

veterinary student - committed: reserved for electrophile and other students who have "lost the plot", clearly gone insane and need to be committed to one of those 50s style insane asylums.

I'm seeing more and more entitled attitudes than I previously remember. Maybe that's vet school making me apathetic and cynical (certainly possible), maybe it's the newbies.

It does seem like there's at least one person that's offended by someone's opinion on the internet in each thread now though. I just haven't seen the reason to really be offended yet, honestly.

Because everyone is supposed to get a trophy!!

I think I'll just post a link to my post in the "c/o 2019 accepted stats" thread so people can get my full bio. Cause I just know that everyone is so very curious about me, me, me!

Except that I don't have an "accepted stats" post, because this is all so ridiculous...

Wow. That seems ... sketchy. If you want a bigger pool to go back to, just waitlist more people. If you don't, then reject people. But a black hole? That's weird.

Nope, I agree. I mean, I think it cuts both ways. On the one hand, you earned your acceptance, and they gave you a deadline for accepting, and you have every "right" to wait until that deadline to accept. Regardless of your reasons. But at the same time, it's probably "polite" or "courteous" to decline if you know you're going to. And, just like I think it was perfectly fair for the OP to make that initial post saying "hey, if you KNOW you aren't taking a spot, could you decline rather than wait?" I think it gets whiny, entitled, and disrespectful to keep asking.

*shrug* Lots of gray space in there.

Except that lives AREN'T on hold. People are perfectly free to keep moving forward. They can make plans for the next year on the assumption they won't get called. They can even withdraw their application if the possibility of getting accepted late in the process is something they think they couldn't handle (moving, apartment hunting, whatever). And, like I said above, I agree that it's probably "polite" for people to drop a spot they absolutely know they won't take. But the fact remains that people are given a deadline for accepting/declining, and they shouldn't be pressured to make up their mind any sooner than that.

Lives are only on hold if the person chooses to adopt that attitude.

oooh , that reminds me, I can change my status to vet student now!!!!! Wait......what was the consensus;)

The consensus was that there is no consensus, which means you should do whatever the hell you want. Personally, I think two things: first, it doesn't matter. Second, it is KINDA nice if people wait until they actually start, because when you're posting and looking at someone's info, it's sometimes nice to know "does this person actually know what vet school is like or not?" But... you know.... that's a pretty insignificant reason. If you're proud of getting accepted and want to switch it - go for it and don't let the rest of us tell you what to do.

Nope, I agree. I mean, I think it cuts both ways. On the one hand, you earned your acceptance, and they gave you a deadline for accepting, and you have every "right" to wait until that deadline to accept. Regardless of your reasons. But at the same time, it's probably "polite" or "courteous" to decline if you know you're going to. And, just like I think it was perfectly fair for the OP to make that initial post saying "hey, if you KNOW you aren't taking a spot, could you decline rather than wait?" I think it gets whiny, entitled, and disrespectful to keep asking.

What I found irritating is the insinuation that the OP hasn't gotten called off the wait list because of all the insensitive jerks who have gotten accepted rudely sitting on seats we don't want just because we can.

But at the same time, it's probably "polite" or "courteous" to decline if you know you're going to.

Oh yeah, it's definitely polite. This is just one of those few instances where (in my opinion) just because you can be polite... doesn't mean you have to be/should be.
Lalala... :whoa:

What I found irritating is the insinuation that the OP hasn't gotten called off the wait list because of all the insensitive jerks who have gotten accepted rudely sitting on seats we don't want just because we can.
It's not even that though. OP is asking people ON WAIT LISTS who've been accepted elsewhere to drop their WAIT LIST spots. So its just moving the waitlist numbers a phone call earlier.

Wow. That seems ... sketchy. If you want a bigger pool to go back to, just waitlist more people. If you don't, then reject people. But a black hole? That's weird.

My thoughts exactly and the very reason I am acting as if I am rejected this cycle and will be (hopefully) moving back to my undergrad in August for a kick butt job.

It's not even that though. OP is asking people ON WAIT LISTS who've been accepted elsewhere to drop their WAIT LIST spots. So its just moving the waitlist numbers a phone call earlier.

And no guarantee that she will get a phone call anyway.

Me too....